Advice Pls On Problem Yeti

OldHacker

One other question. Another Skoda dealer I just contacted suggested the problem could be that  the ECU software needs updating. I have had the car dealer serviced from new (3 services with the last one costing £1,100) and never had an update of the ECU done. Should it have been?

!!! Must have included a set of alloys and winter tyres at that price. :whew: 

Fred

Low Battery Voltage caused a few blips with the Yetis "brain"

it has been sitting on the drive for a couple of weeks, put my

C-tek charger on it and all was well, I repeat this at least once

a week now.

How much?!?

I know mine is a 140, but in the 4 years I've had mine I have never paid more than £450, and the largest included Haldex and brake fluid changes! SUK have a menu price list that dealers are supposed to keep (roughly) to.

What did that figure include?

I would also have expected the dealer to do any downloads when it was in for service. Certainly Sinclair in Swansea have always done so.

Was this the dealer in Bristol? If so I will warn my son about them as he has bought a Fabia from them.

The 'extras' on the service were 2 new tyres and new front brake pads.

I have now written to the Skoda UK MD about the problems to see what they propose. I have already tried Skoda UK customer services through Twitter. They asked for my reg no and tel no so that they could call me which I provided but that was last week and I have heard nothing.

Still seems an excessive bill:

£1100 - (say) £250 for 2 tyres - (say) £50 for front pads = £800 for a service, which is far higher than I have ever paid.

2 tyres = £382

Front brake pads inc labour & VAT = £150

2 tyres = £382

Front brake pads inc labour & VAT = £150

HOW MUCH!!??

Sorry, but those are crazy figures, and that still puts the service at more than £500, The only service I can think would be that much is the cam belt service, and your's isn't old enough for that.

Was this the dealer with a "knife" in the title?

Crazy prices indeed, £382 could buy you 4 tyres, and more than £500 for a service. Garage must have big windows, as the sayin goes.

Here is Skoda fixed price service/ maintenance costs..

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

I would be heading back with the Skoda service costs in hand and a print out from MyTyre or the like showing them £100 cheaper!!

You have got me worried now. I have just been through the 3 Skoda dealer invoices I have for my Yeti services and the basic charge for each is well over those published by Skoda UK. Then things which are listed as included in the service by Skoda UK (such as oil and pollen filter changes) have been charged as extras by the dealer and they have charged way more than the Skoda UK listed price for  a brake pad change etc. And I see what you mean about the tyres. The dealer charged me £192 a tyre for a like for like replacement of the tyres supplied with the car compared to £130 from most other sources I have just looked at.

You have got me worried now. I have just been through the 3 Skoda dealer invoices I have for my Yeti services and the basic charge for each is well over those published by Skoda UK. Then things which are listed as included in the service by Skoda UK (such as oil and pollen filter changes) have been charged as extras by the dealer and they have charged way more than the Skoda UK listed price for  a brake pad change etc. And I see what you mean about the tyres. The dealer charged me £192 a tyre for a like for like replacement of the tyres supplied with the car compared to £130 from most other sources I have just looked at.

Maybe an email to Skoda UK with copies of the invoices, it's looks like they've been seriously overcharging!

OUCH! I presume you did not ask 'How much'? before giving in your car.

Re the tyres, they might have charged you the recommended retail price.

Most tyre companies quote their discounted price which can be as much as 40-50% less.

It might be of interest to ask what their hourly charge is. Then think about going elsewhere.

I bet they rubbed their hands every time they saw you coming.

Maybe an email to Skoda UK with copies of the invoices, it's looks like they've been seriously overcharging!

I have now raised it. The dealer in question is listed as providing fixed price servicing and maintenance and Skoda UK certainly seems interested in raising it with the dealer.

I cannot fault Skoda UK so far on this one. My email addressed to the MD concerning my Yeti's recent medical history and dealer problems got a telephone response with the hour and the car booked into the dealer. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

• Like 1

I have now raised it. The dealer in question is listed as providing fixed price servicing and maintenance and Skoda UK certainly seems interested in raising it with the dealer.

I cannot fault Skoda UK so far on this one. My email addressed to the MD concerning my Yeti's recent medical history and dealer problems got a telephone response with the hour and the car booked into the dealer. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Hope you get a good outcome, i.e. money coming back to you with some free servicing and tyres thrown in, mentioning trading standards may speed them along a little. 

Hope you get a good outcome, i.e. money coming back to you with some free servicing and tyres thrown in, mentioning trading standards may speed them along a little. 

Unfortunately now been thrown back into confusion. Skoda UK seemed confident it was the EGR valve based on history and diagnostics done by first dealer. However local dealer who Skoda UK arranged to take the car in has now said the problems are the circulation pump, water pump (apparently leaking which is strange because nobody else has spotted this and have not had coolant loss) and cam belt with no mention of the EGR valve I was told was the problem by other dealer which Skoda UK confirmed likely. Local dealer offered no explanation for this previous EGR breakdown and conflicting diagnosis. Local dealer also told me that they had never seen my car before which is disturbing since I bought it from them new and they have carried out all three services since ! 

Situation is terrifying - if local dealer is right then I could have ended up spending £900 having the EGR valve replaced unnecessarily without solving the problem and still be faced with another £600 for the pumps and cam belt.