smoking

DaveVR5

I'm getting smoke when my right foot is heavy and also a little on idle (this could just be because of cold weather it's showing up more)

is this normal?

I'm guessing it needs a proper service and have everything that can be changed,changed

What colour is the smoke mate? Black smoke on hard acceleration would point more towards boost leak or sticky veins in your turbo.

Or a lighter, bluey smoke means it's burning oil from somewhere, possibly turbo seals

Its also on tick over

Slight smoke can be normal for diesels, and by normal I mean acceptable and tolerable. 

If it is excessive, something needs looking at, as said above that depends on colour.

Under hard load, I sometimes get a little chug of black smoke.

Slight smoke can be normal for diesels, and by normal I mean acceptable and tolerable. 

If it is excessive, something needs looking at, as said above that depends on colour.

Under hard load, I sometimes get a little chug of black smoke.

his is a 1.8t petrol

I'm getting smoke when my right foot is heavy and also a little on idle (this could just be because of cold weather it's showing up more)

is this normal?

I'm guessing it needs a proper service and have everything that can be changed,changed

Exhaust valve guides can wear and the stem seals harden leading to blue smoke on tickover, depends on age and mileage.

Really sorry for the late reply I'm on night shifts so sleeping all day.

The weather is really cold as you all know and when I turn it on to warm up there is light white smoke almost transparent. and when I put my foot down when it's warm (only when it warm) there is a bit of smoke but I can only see this when other headlights are behind me at night time so there isn't a load of it constantly.

also quite a low pitch humming (almost like a grinding) noise when I steer left. is this going to be wheel bearing?

and finally. on down drive when I release the throttle there is a bit of a funny noise (nobody can hear but me) which is worse in 6th gear. anyone know what this is? I'm a but worried it's gearbox or clutch?

Really sorry for the late reply I'm on night shifts so sleeping all day.

The weather is really cold as you all know and when I turn it on to warm up there is light white smoke almost transparent. and when I put my foot down when it's warm (only when it warm) there is a bit of smoke but I can only see this when other headlights are behind me at night time so there isn't a load of it constantly.

also quite a low pitch humming (almost like a grinding) noise when I steer left. is this going to be wheel bearing?

and finally. on down drive when I release the throttle there is a bit of a funny noise (nobody can hear but me) which is worse in 6th gear. anyone know what this is? I'm a but worried it's gearbox or clutch?

Ok, you're worrying unnecessarily, the exhaust on cold start is steam, and the puff on acceleration is fuel.

You're probably right about the wheel bearing as well, get that done, relax and drive it like you stole it  :sun:

Ok, you're worrying unnecessarily, the exhaust on cold start is steam, and the puff on acceleration is fuel.

You're probably right about the wheel bearing as well, get that done, relax and drive it like you stole it  :sun:

yay. ...

cheers guys. that's what I originally thought but I work with idiot know it alls and guess they just put things in my head