Goodyear EGP vs F1 Asy 2

There's a load of posts about these, I know, and everyone who has fitted either seems to love them, but can anyone tell me what the difference is in practical terms? They're similarly priced, similarly specced and both rated plenty fast enough, so I can only presume they're made with different driving conditions in mind, but what are they? Even the manufacturer's site doesn't really explain which is better for what.

Hi

F1 Asy2 fitted on Skoda Superb 2010.

I like them very much ! almost no road noise 

and also low resistence = more miles to the gallon :-)

225/45-17 

To fit them is to love them, it seems, although in your size the EGPs have an even better fuel efficiency rating than the Asy (B vs C). That's the same for my 225/40/18s, although the Asys are 70dB vs 69dB there.

I went online and checked the rolling resistance and dbA and have been very pleased with the GY energy grip tyres.

I will replace the front ones with GY's again.

Thanks

The EfficientGrip Performance have a tread wear rating of 340, vs 300 for the F1 A2. So, in theory the EGP should last about 10% more miles over the F1 A2.

Thanks, Jake, that's very interesting. (I didn't even know there was a numerical wear comparison available.) Presumably, then, the EGPs have a harder compound which, presumably, means a bit less grip (even though the 225/40/18s are both A rated in the wet)?

Thanks, Jake, that's very interesting. (I didn't even know there was a numerical wear comparison available.) Presumably, then, the EGPs have a harder compound which, presumably, means a bit less grip (even though the 225/40/18s are both A rated in the wet)?

Not necessarily a harder compound, and not necessarily less grip: tyres are pretty complex creatures, and there are a lot of ingredients that go into how a tyre behaves. Take a look at the latest Yokohama tyres with orange oil for examples of what can be done by using less conventional methods. Then you have the tyre construction and tread pattern itself, and how the different parts of the tyre behave under different loads.

I've been running EGP, and if it helps, I found no loss of grip or driving feel compared to the factory Conti sport contacts - but they are MUCH quieter, and they roll a lot further when you take your foot off the accelerator. I had to change my driving style accordingly for the lower rolling resistance, but benefit from a few extra mpg on my commute.

I don't think you will be disappointed by either the EGP or the F1 A2 - just get whichever is best value for you. And try to get a tyre fitter that will fit them properly by finish torquing the wheel nuts with a hand wrench: you need 120Nm factory spec.

I've been running EGP, and if it helps, I found no loss of grip or driving feel compared to the factory Conti sport contacts - but they are MUCH quieter, and they roll a lot further when you take your foot off the accelerator. I had to change my driving style accordingly for the lower rolling resistance, but benefit from a few extra mpg on my commute.

My exact experience. Really had to adjust the first few days to let off the throttle sooner. Noise is much lower aswell. I can only recommend the EGP's!

I'm certainly leaning towards the EGPs. Just need someone to have a 4 for 3 January sale now!

£89 each at oponeo. Then get someone local to fit it. You probably have a local family firm with a van that will fit all 4 and balance them for about £30. Far cheaper than the chains and their 4 for 3 offers.

Thanks for the heads up (£88 in fact); I was going to Asda at £105.30 all in but this will be a better deal since, as you say, I can get them fitted for £30. I'm a bit puzzled that openeo don't have an XL rating whereas Asda (and oponeo's F1 and ordinary EGs) do, but maybe that's just an omission.

It sticks out further than the alloy, that's the main thing.

No rim protector is 100% effective although I would happily have a tyre with the biggest rim protector for when the wife I'm driving :D