replacing brake pads

hi there,going to take a look at the pads all round at weekend on my (05 octavia estate 2.0 tdi 140bhp dsg) to see if they are getting low?

thought i would price some new pads on the bay but the first couple of ads where for some brake pad fixing kit ? it looked like a metal clip of some kind.so first question is do i need any special tools or parts to replace pads alround ?

i am not after upgrading the brakes they are perfectly adequate for the way i drive (but) is there a set of pads that you would recommend ? 

it always nice to know the pads you put on are more than up to the job if you know what i mean.

cheers kev.

I definitely recommend Greenstuff pads (I had new discs also, due to a steering wheel wobble upon braking) on the front at least.

I'm not heavy on the brakes either, I look ahead and anticipate.

You will need a rewind tool at least, for the rears. (I think a right thread) Someone will give you more info on this I'm sure.

Only special tool is the wind back tool for the rears. You need to bolts which hold the calliper to the carrier and the metal shims. If you get the pads from ECP or similar you should gets the pads, bolts and shims. Can't remember if you have shims on the front too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

thanks for the help chaps if i was to use green stuff pads are they ok to use with the standard disc's ?

are they much more expensive than the standard pads?

and best place to get them from ?

or can i get them from my local motor factor ?

cheers kev.

just go for pagid pads from ecp if you are just after standard pads as they include all the clips and bolts

here are some you tube guides if you just ignore the discs change part, the procedure for the pads change is the same

turned out i just needed rear pads but i forgot to get the rewind tool luckily i managed to do the job with a g clamp and grips so rear pads now fitted cheers kev.

• 1 month later...

gents, im doing this ASAP, ECP have the wind back tools on offer of 15.99 but do I need left or right?

here is the ecp one any help much appreciated.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Octavia_2.0_2005/p/tools/car-service-tools/brake-service-tools/brake-system-tools/?SEAVS024&0&t5_390

gents, im doing this ASAP, ECP have the wind back tools on offer of 15.99 but do I need left or right?

here is the ecp one any help much appreciated.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Octavia_2.0_2005/p/tools/car-service-tools/brake-service-tools/brake-system-tools/?SEAVS024&0&t5_390

Pretty sure that's the one I have, so should be fine.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk