Adding front sensors and park assist?

KBPhoto

My Yeti has factory fitted rear parking sensors and, having retrofitted front & rear sensors to my Octavia, I find that I miss the assistance the front ones give in tight spaces.

If I buy a front sensor retrofit kit such as the one sold by Car Ststems (http://www.carsystems.pl/skoda-yeti-5j0-park-pilot-front-upgrade-set-with-ops,id784.html) is it just a question of swapping the controller, running the wires, fitting the sensors and coding. Or will there be some wire swaps as there is in the Octavia?

While the front bumper is off, I've considered adding park assist as well (the side sensors in the front bumper).

What will this require? Additional controller? New ABS controllers on each wheel? New steering controller?

Is there a kit that covers front sensors (x 6) and everything else required for this?

I can park the car without front sensors or park assist. I don't stare at the screen for the rear OPS whilst parking. So please let's not have that in this thread (I've seen enough in the Octavia forum thank you).

I am open to any guidance on doing this retrofit though and have seen Eddie-NL's Octavia thread where he has done this.

They probably could, but at an excessive price.

And even then only if the manual says they can...

I'm perfectly happy to do it myself and save £hundreds on the labour charges and can probably get parts cheaper as well.

I also like the challenge of figuring these things out and getting them to work.

• Like 1

They probably could, but at an excessive price.

And even then only if the manual says they can...

I'm perfectly happy to do it myself and save £hundreds on the labour charges and can probably get parts cheaper as well.

I also like the challenge of figuring these things out and getting them to work.

If I was a 'youngster' I'd be doing the same I'm thinking.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone with park assist / self parking on a pre-FL Yeti have a VCDS scan they would care to share?

That might give me some info to go on with regard to ABS controllers, etc.

I imagine that if the Yeti has DSR (Driver Steering Recommendation - gives a the steering wheel a "nudge" in the right direction if it all goes a bit Pete Tong) - then you must already have the bit that turns the steering wheel at least.

My previous Yeti did have park assist, I used it twice.

With my new Yeti, the dealer forgot to add the front sensors, I have looked at it, you need the additional front sensors, an 8 port controller box (located  in the RH rear wing), and an additional parking bleeder with a different tone to the reversing sensor.

I have a VCDS cable, and it looks like you just tick the front sensors option on.

There is a Park Assist check box, but I don't know if it requires an additional module.

Let me know where you sourced your sensors & cabling, I keep looking at eBay.

Andy

I wonder if anybody has had retro fitted the above sensors, and if so how much the job cost.

My local dealer said Skoda did not do the bits so that it could be intergrated into the existing set-up I have for the back. They did say the pdi department of the group could do something for £390. I declined.

Colin

Been contemplating adding front sensors as well the only stumbling block is drilling the front bumper do you know if anyone makes a template as I don't want it to look like a bodged mess.

The main reason is I would like to fill the space under the climatronic with some buttons than having empty blanks that I have at the moment can you also retrofit Tpm as well.

Would imagine there are indication marks on the inside of the bumper, when I replaced a rear bumper it was easy peasy using a small saw drill and double tape etc - only prob would be removing said bumper!!

Been contemplating adding front sensors as well the only stumbling block is drilling the front bumper do you know if anyone makes a template as I don't want it to look like a bodged mess.

The main reason is I would like to fill the space under the climatronic with some buttons than having empty blanks that I have at the moment can you also retrofit Tpm as well.

TPMS can also be retrofitted (PM Eddie-NL for a loom and button, etc.)

Drilling it with a stepped drill bit is quite easy. Drill a pilot hole first in the centre of the marked area, then (officially) work from the outside in before finishing off from the inside out.

Takes a bit of bravery the first time, but having done front and rear (twice) on my Octavia, I'd happily do it again on my Yeti.

Still researching park assist, but had been looking at front sensor upgrade kits from CarSystems.pl (who I have used before) or from SkodaDop (who I haven't used).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking again at this for a summer project and have found a full 12 sensor kit to fit from nothing.

I'm sure from this I could work out the part numbers of the front and side sensors, sensor holders, module, front sensor loom and then see what can be done for an 'upgrade' loom to add the front and side sensors to the rest...