Oil cooler kit

Aside from the Darkside kit, are there any other oil cooler kits on the market for the PD130 engine?

I'm on track on September and don't want the high temps damaging the top end or turbo. I'm looking for a thermostatic setup that I can place behind the front grille.

I'm specifically after a kit for the car so that I don't have to worry about ordering the wrong sandwich plate and adaptor.

Cheers :)

Will keep an eye on this also :)

Im swaying towards the darkside kit hoping its basic plug and play really, like you say... No risk of wrong parts etc..

Not exactly a huge exspencive mod for about £150 when you think how much damage can be done without one.

I can't help but think there's a cheaper kit out there than Darkside's! With the thermostatic sandwich plate it comes to £175 BEFORE VAT! Then there's delivery on top...  So basically you're not going to get much change from £220. To me that seems expensive for a 10 row cooler setup.

I definitely want one before I go on track though. Or I'll have to spend every other lap cooling off, and I don't like that idea!!

Yeah, the "darkside tax" is huge, same product will be elsewhere for £100 I'm sure...

I noticed the other day Range Rover have a nice little oil cooler setup, might be worth looking into if your wanting a cheaper option, but again other things needed and no idea how it will work.

Will keep an eye on this thread anyway :)

That looks good. Much better price. It's obviously not for a PD engine, but a 1.8T. However, as long as the adaptor is the correct fitment for the bolt that goes into it and the plate physically fits (can't see them being any different), then it should be fine.

Only problems being I need a 10 row to get behind the grille, and I prefer rubber lines that I can cut to length for a neater installation.

At the minute I can see myself getting in touch with these guys to make me a bespoke setup... http://www.thinkauto.com/index.html    Assuming they know their stuff - which they should do!

Swaged ends on the pipes are better and safer.

Bearing man can fit swaged ends onto pipes for £6 each including the fitting.

So measure up your run of pipework and get the pipes made to match ;)

I liked the idea of fitting it where the old side mount used to be since it gets good air flow and on a similar level to the oil cooler to start with.

All theory though, don't want 2 meters worth of pipe floating about.

Might have to be Infront of the intercooler yet.

I'm going to design and make a shield for the cooler that I can simply bolt in front of it when I'm not on track. Hence I want it at the front where I can quick access to it. Or else I'd put it there too!

I've had cars in the past with thermostatic plate oil coolers on, and the oil takes much longer to get up to temp under normal driving, as the cooler circuit opens and cools it straight back down before it's even got up to 90 degrees!

An uprated alloy radiator would help as well since the oil is water cooled to start with, maybe some Evans waterless coolant as well.

and no oil cooler and no problems since the pasting on the track the other week heads being fitted today with stud kit oil cooler is my next thing

and no oil cooler and no problems since the pasting on the track the other week heads being fitted today with stud kit oil cooler is my next thing

Have you got a oil temp gauge fitted?

An uprated alloy radiator would help as well since the oil is water cooled to start with, maybe some Evans waterless coolant as well.

I know Steves got an uprated alloy rad on his.

Purrleease, Evans waterless coolant is snake oil, it's just glycol basically which has a high enough boiling point that vapour pockets can't form, the downside is that it isn't as efficient at transferring heat.

Duffers use it in old cars with fragile original cooling systems, it doesn't stop the car from overheating, it simply allows the car to run hotter without venting or bursting something.

Hardly relevant on a VRS!

I'm sure your right, I know nothing about the product.

We're not talking about daily drivers though, this is for track days and purely to help keep temps as low as possible, any way possible.

It won't do that, the engine will actually run hotter on that overpriced yankee guff.

I'd be more worried about the oil than the coolant to be honest. I know from VCDS that it's not completely accurate, but my coolant temperature has never been above 90 degrees (touchwood!).

Steve, there could definitely have been wear to your engine and turbo if you've thrashed it for a prolonged period without a gauge! Kev went on track and was seeing VERY high temps after a short period of time. If your oil is too thin then it isn't going to protect your components much...

Bear with me on the group buy. I'll see what these guys come back with from my email. I definitely want a cooler either way before the September track time at Combe though.

head come off today new reworked head and valve stem seals fitted with head stud kit pistons all looked ok and it don't lose no oil so looks all good rolling road now see the difference this head work have made def feels quicker yeh let me know asap on cooler as that's my next upgrade