Power steering readings. Do you seeanything strange?

dm222

Wino, are you there, my car is back, and now the steering seems different somehow... Let's see what happens in the next days...

Could you make the graphic please, been trying for 1 hour and can't do it, guess it's because I have OpenOffice  :p  I guess looking at the data the results will be the same...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pgma4HYX7dNFdtWTdUUXpkNnBvbkNwV3FzcGhZbzhnTUo0/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!

They don't look so different really, apart from your T30 voltages being a bit lower.

That is because the warm / cold, well maybe I wait to see if the steering gets a bit harder again like it did before, and if not maybe it's because the problem is solved.

Thank you for your help Wino, I will give feedback soon... :)

Edited by dm222

No problem. I expect there are some more useful plots we could do with other parameters from the data, but maybe not necessary.

I hope it's fixed for you. That connector handles some big currents, so it's easy to imagine that mechanical damage to it could affect how the pump functions.

I'm pretty sure the T30 voltages we're looking at are not what the pump is getting, but just what the battery terminals have between them. What the pump gets could be much lower if the connector is/was bad. 

:)

Well not good news, still have variations.

You dont notice any change in yours, right?

Like a little more stiff sometimes?

Strange that the steering got better when I went to SEAT and then now its getting progressly stiffer like before.

Same thing happened when the last pump was changed

Edited by dm222

I've never noticed any changes, in either the Fabia or the Polo, no.

I agree that it's strange for it to seem better after visiting the dealer, then get slowly worse again.

I wish I could think of anything else to suggest.

I've never noticed any changes, in either the Fabia or the Polo, no.

I agree that it's strange for it to seem better after visiting the dealer, then get slowly worse again.

I wish I could think of anything else to suggest.

The only option I see is sell the car...

What waranty do I have that the pump wont fail again since apparently there is still problems.

Already spent almost 1500€ on this and I don't see and end to this...

Have you bled the system? I was having exactly the same issues a while ago. Changed the pump, sensor, sensor cable etc etc etc. Supposed to be self bleeding but it isn't perfect

Search YouTube for " vw jetta bleeding power steering system part 3"

Raise the front wheels off the ground and follow the video. The reservoir for the fluid is in a different place but the theory is the same. I had air trapped in my rack / lines somewhere that only budged after doing this.

Been right ever since...

Have you bled the system? I was having exactly the same issues a while ago. Changed the pump, sensor, sensor cable etc etc etc. Supposed to be self bleeding but it isn't perfect

Search YouTube for " vw jetta bleeding power steering system part 3"

Raise the front wheels off the ground and follow the video. The reservoir for the fluid is in a different place but the theory is the same. I had air trapped in my rack / lines somewhere that only budged after doing this.

Been right ever since...

Thank you. Will check that after work.

Whick symptoms had your car? Intermitent? lighter or harder than normal?

This vídeo is from my previous pump

http://videos.sapo.pt/hObZ7gKfZzPsHpegyEqk

Edited by dm222

I can't figure out where we are looking at in your picture, but in (our) Fabia and Polo the pump earth goes to an earth point on the top surface of the chassis leg, just in front of the PAS reservoir cap.  This photo is taken looking forwards, towards the headlight. The earth point is hidden under a bit of loom/trunking, but the downward arrow is pointing to it.

20151004_163639.jpg

My 2001 fabia has blanking panels at the base of the front bumper (2 each side). If you pull out the passenger side blanks you can see the pump as per photo above and you can see the pump's earth about 6ins in front and a few inches lower of the pump itself.

• Like 1

Is 004000M2 the right fluid?

How much fluid takes the car? They only put 1L in the pump change

G004000M2

The whole system holds about 0.80 ltr.

I'm considering changing the rack, the only thing left...

I don't know what fluid they put in, only that is G004000M2.

Do you recommend VW fluid? Or anyone wich is G004000M2 can do the job?

Edited by dm222

I just have to check if the system is properly bleed but I don't have a way to raise the front of the car, is there many cases of bleed related problems in this system?

You just turn the steering from lock to lock a few times to bleed it.