Skoda yeti paint quality sucks

jim100jam

There were cases, about a decade ago, where the paint on Corollas fell off after usual pressure washing. But otherwise I quite agree. Water-based paints have been around for years and mostly trouble-free. My previous car was painted with a water-based paint and I didn't have any problems with it (it is now 9 years old and I know it is still fine).

There were cases, about a decade ago, where the paint on Corollas fell off after usual pressure washing. But otherwise I quite agree. Water-based paints have been around for years and mostly trouble-free. My previous car was painted with a water-based paint and I didn't have any problems with it (it is now 9 years old and I know it is still fine).

I have to be careful with my pressure washer with the 3M front protection.

They can get in under the edge of a paint repair also.

Water based paints have been around for decades and to me at least seem as good if not better than previous versions.

I can't recall a single paint issue involving a Japanese vehicle and we are flooded with them.

UK mx-5 forums are awash with complaints of soft paint and rust problems, and rust is an issue that is pretty prevalent in older Mazdas.  The general feeling is that they are not properly protected form corrosion and that they suffer from our (UK) winters and salt laden roads, which is something they don't have to endure in their home market.  Soft paint and poor paint finish is also a recurring theme on the mx-5 forums. 

UK mx-5 forums are awash with complaints of soft paint and rust problems, and rust is an issue that is pretty prevalent in older Mazdas.  The general feeling is that they are not properly protected form corrosion and that they suffer from our (UK) winters and salt laden roads, which is something they don't have to endure in their home market.  Soft paint and poor paint finish is also a recurring theme on the mx-5 forums.

Agree.

The Japanese car is MOTed off the road after ~5 years I seem to recall (still?) plus they don't have a theft problem or salt roads; but in our environment they last for decades....they are the original 'old nail' mechanically.

'Grey imports' are big in NZ also simply because they do a job cheaply and reliably.

jim100jam,

The Skoda Dealer employee was telling the truth, 'It is not covered by them',  but it may well be by the Warranty Provider,

and they need to act as the Agent if they are a Skoda Official Dealer, and act as the Middle Man, getting an Inspection Carried Out, 

Taking Pictures, Writing a Report and Communicating your Warranty Claim to Skoda UK HQ.

or just give them a miss now. Contact Skoda UK direct, raise a case, get a handler from Skoda Customer Services and have them arrange having the vehicle inspected.

Be sure to tell Skoda UK Customer Services about the Customer Services not received at the Dealership you spoke to and give the name of the Employee you spoke to if you know who it was that gives out duff gen.

• 1 month later...

That sounds like a non OEM panel having been used for a repair with poor quality painting.

Have you had the car since new, this could have been a repair before you got it if not

Stop trying to stick up for Skoda. The paint work is ****. Probably poor preparation.

Skoda paint poor? My son's 51 plate orange one in the avatar has no rust except that caused by minor dings not Skoda's fault!

Methinks a repair prior to op's purchase.