Fabia II amundsen+

H2M

Hello, 

I have standard stereo on my skoda fabia II (2013) and i would like to replace it with Amundsen+.

My question is: how much work to make GPS / navigation to work, is all connection the same or need to redone?

Maybe someone already done this mod?

I want this:

SAM_3627.jpg

I have this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Some Amundsen Plus units have Bluetooth built in, some have DAB radio, and some have both, and some have neither. Be careful what you buy as you can pay a lot of money for something which has neither if you're not careful. If you already have Bluetooth then you should be able to just continue using it, and ignore the Bluetooth on the Amundsen Plus if you want.

If you keep an eye on the classifieds section on here there's sometimes one pops up for sale.

• Like 1

Some Amundsen Plus units have Bluetooth built in, some have DAB radio, and some have both, and some have neither. Be careful what you buy as you can pay a lot of money for something which has neither if you're not careful. If you already have Bluetooth then you should be able to just continue using it, and ignore the Bluetooth on the Amundsen Plus if you want.

If you keep an eye on the classifieds section on here there's sometimes one pops up for sale.

Sorry to hijack this thread but if I don't have bluetooth already and bought an Amundsen with it what else would I need for bluetooth and how much of a pita is to update maps

Sorry

Will need coding in and Bluetooth activating (if it's not already done), then you'll need a microphone and fitting. Maps are expensive as they're only by sd card and one shot. So every unit needs a new sd card. I'm working on finding some info about this at the moment, but looks like about £80 as a minimum.

Will need coding in and Bluetooth activating (if it's not already done), then you'll need a microphone and fitting. Maps are expensive as they're only by sd card and one shot. So every unit needs a new sd card. I'm working on finding some info about this at the moment, but looks like about £80 as a minimum.

Thank you

Anyone tried the aftermarket ones? See some on eBay that look almost oem for noticibly less than the amusden and Columbus units ?

Ive got a Zenec ZE2015 in the Fabia at the moment. I swapped out the Columbus for it, and its a far better unit tbh. 

Sound quality on the aftermarket units are worlds ahead, and they're somewhat faster and smoother to use. Although the Zenec isnt cheap, it does look fairly OEM and does everything the Columbus should, but doesnt, for the silly amount they are new.

It is just on a different level, tbh. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

Ive got a Zenec ZE2015 in the Fabia at the moment. I swapped out the Columbus for it, and its a far better unit tbh. 

Sound quality on the aftermarket units are worlds ahead, and they're somewhat faster and smoother to use. Although the Zenec isnt cheap, it does look fairly OEM and does everything the Columbus should, but doesnt, for the silly amount they are new.

It is just on a different level, tbh.

Pictures ??

Pictures ??

Apologies about the low quality. Just been and taken a couple with a potato in the dark. 

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

Its designed to look like it belongs there tbh. The buttons do change colour in the settings, but only between red and white, no green option. Which i dont mind, because it matches the Maxidot anyway. 

Works with the Maxidot like the Columbus does (nav directions, audio info etc) and the steering wheel controls all work like they should. 

I've been using the voice command quite a bit over the last week or so, and dare i say it.. it hasn't actually misinterpreted anything yet and has done everything seamlessly. Quite impressed, ive never known it to work on anything :D

Its not cheap, but once you take into account the cost of a Columbus (resale value, or purchase), its cost less than a few hundred quid, and it is sooooo much better. 

Edit: probably worth mentioning that its in 'night mode' in these pics. It has a sensor build in the front, so sorts itself out. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Amazing! Does it have DAB+ radio too, USB connection? I am starting to think seriously about Zenec (sounds like zetec engine from ford)

It doesnt have DAB out of the box. It needs an extra module: 

http://www.zenec.com/products/accessories/dvb-t-and-dab-tuners/ze-dab60.html

Although i havent bothered with that, because DAB signal in my area is shocking anyway. 

Theres a little box in the glovebox with 4 USB inputs (might be 3 actually, but i think its 4) and a 3.5mm Aux input too. 

Its not quite as simple as plug and play like the Skoda ones... theres a few little adaptors that have to go behind the head-unit too, but its no problem really. 

It is making me tempted for a reversing camera though.. haha

edit: the DAB module is roughly £130. WOW, that is taking the pee abit after a £700 headunit. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since i have retrofitted Amundsen+ (RNS 315), got few more questions:

My stereo system sounded much more better with Swing, with Amundsen it sounds like underpowered and a bit strange.. 

Can i make something in VCDS to make it sound better?

Other question: how can i enable navigation menu on maxi dot with VCDS?

Since i have retrofitted Amundsen+ (RNS 315), got few more questions:

My stereo system sounded much more better with Swing, with Amundsen it sounds like underpowered and a bit strange..

Can i make something in VCDS to make it sound better?

Other question: how can i enable navigation menu on maxi dot with VCDS?

Theres a few EQ things you can do on VCDS. Selecting 'linear' on the EQ, 'no sound system installed' and what not. But none make a massive difference.

The biggest reason i got rid of the Columbus was because it sounded crap. The Swing sounded much better.

Navigation is in the installation list. Once ticked it shows on maxidot.

i think that happens a lot when you take the swing out

i switched mine for a 510 dab and the sound quality is not as good as the original swing unit imo

Funny how the basic swing sounds far superior to its more expensive brothers isnt it

I got rid of the lot (well, ive still got the swing in a box) and fitted a zenec ZE2015. Sounds brilliant tbf, much better than anything oem. Does everything too.

Theres a few EQ things you can do on VCDS. Selecting 'linear' on the EQ, 'no sound system installed' and what not. But none make a massive difference.

The biggest reason i got rid of the Columbus was because it sounded crap. The Swing sounded much better.

Navigation is in the installation list. Once ticked it shows on maxidot.

fabiamk2SE, How to find EQ on vcds?

To all others thanks for answers, i was hoping that amundsen will sound better than swing..

fabiamk2SE, How to find EQ on vcds?

To all others thanks for answers, i was hoping that amundsen will sound better than swing..

Its in module '37'. Select 'long code helper' and go through the bytes.

Byte 1. Sound system not installed. (This is for an amp. Which Fabias dont have)

Byte 2: 4 speaker channels

Byte 5: EQ should be linear.

Byte 7 bit 7 ticked for Maxidot.

Hope this helps. Ive been through it all myself and thats what i found out, but all in one easy list :D.

Installation list might of needed Navigation ticking, but i cant remember properly sorry :(.

Sad to say it might never sound that good. The Columbus i had didnt, so i got rid. It had next to no bottom end, and ive got £300 speakers in too. So, that was annoying :D.

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1