2018 facelift prediction thread

So, what are we likely to see?

Some things seem pretty obvious, like

- LED headlights

- hybrid power option

but can we figure out what they already know? - I suspect carmakers have 90% of the 31/2 -year refresh planned before the original model is even launched.

So let's have predictions (not wish lists).

Hybrid was always rumoured. 1.4TSI with electric makes sense but what will it cost?

With Superb models now into the mid to upper £30 thousands the days of the "budget" VW may be coming to an end.

Easy, pick the option-list of VW and Audi, see which ones you can't find on Skoda. Those are the ones which will be in the facelift.

Not so easy. If Superb had all the options that Passat has, who would buy Passat?

Will the Superb be facelifted in 2 years? seems a little soon to me. The Mk2 Superb appeared in 2008 and was facelifted in mid 2013. 

We will see full LED headlamps on the facelift. The Passat will probably get a jump to matrix LEDs or laser LEDs to keep it one step ahead of the 'poverty' brands that are SEAT and Skoda  :D

Improved connectivity through the Columbus unit to things like Google maps will be a possibility. I am 50/50 on the fully digital dash even as an option. It's only just come out on the Passat and certain Audis so I'm not so sure it will filter down to Skoda that quickly.

The BiTDI is also a possibility but won't be 240PS as found in the Passat. More like 210/220PS. Similar logic with the 280PS Superb not being the 300PS Golf R engine. 

The hybrid stuff will probably appear before the facelift. Possibly later on this year. 

• Like 1

The steady move to digital touch displays are likely. The new all digital display of Audi and VW will make the inevitable jump, but the central touch screen will eventually replace the buttons and dials. The columbus unit is already taking over many functions, its not a big step to take over the rest. The newish Volvo XC90 effectively has a full sized iPad grafted into its dashboard and not much else. As touch screen components continue to plummet in cost price, it'll only be a short time before its standard across all cars. 

The steady move to digital touch displays are likely. The new all digital display of Audi and VW will make the inevitable jump, but the central touch screen will eventually replace the buttons and dials. The columbus unit is already taking over many functions, its not a big step to take over the rest. The newish Volvo XC90 effectively has a full sized iPad grafted into its dashboard and not much else. As touch screen components continue to plummet in cost price, it'll only be a short time before its standard across all cars. 

Even many of the cheaper cars are already almost fully touchscreen based: Peugeot 208, Renault Megane, ...

• Like 1

Improved connectivity through the Columbus unit to things like Google maps will be a possibility. I am 50/50 on the fully digital dash even as an option. It's only just come out on the Passat and certain Audis so I'm not so sure it will filter down to Skoda that quickly.

Local Skoda dealer told, that Superb III has full readiness for digital display (harnesses, probably some electronics too). The only thing that is missing is display itself.

Service guy was absolutely sure that facelift gets it.

Agreed full switcheable digital dashboard with integrated sat nav, media etc, I've seen the Audi version and it's very nice. Also one of those nifty centre console multi controllers like you see on Mercs and BMW's

Xenons across the range and LED further up the food chain along with hybrid power. I for one would jump at the the chance of affordable hybrid, with my daily commute that would suite me well. A price hike, but higher trim spec moved down the model range.

Local Skoda dealer told, that Superb III has full readiness for digital display (harnesses, probably some electronics too). The only thing that is missing is display itself.

Service guy was absolutely sure that facelift gets it.

I probably does as its guts are shared with the Passat. It's down to the accountants to decide what does and doesn't go on a car. 

Why would Skoda wait three years to introduce a technology that is already available and on the road in the form of the Golf and Passat GTE, that are fundamentally the same car? It makes no sense.

You'd have to assume LED headlights (as an option probably) will be offered at that point. Hopefully we won't need to wait until the facelift for beige leather! Skoda have admitted themselves that it is becoming more difficult to come up with new 'Simply Clever' ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It took Skoda a whole 10 years to put the electronic handbrake and auto hold in the new Superb, I first had it on my 2005 Passat B6. 

Who knows what we'll get and when.