1.4 tsi Engine squeal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , I had the same problem with my Octavia 1.4 tsi   , long story short    ....

A special coolant was added to the system (mechanic told me its about £50 )  ........ problem solved !

Think it may have an added lubricant in it  ?

Oh right, I shall try that, but I would expect that to be a short-term fix?

If the water from the system is able to get into the bearings, the seals must be failing.

Unless it's the pump internals whining... how long ago was that? Did the noise come back at all?

Oh right, I shall try that, but I would expect that to be a short-term fix?

If the water from the system is able to get into the bearings, the seals must be failing.

Unless it's the pump internals whining... how long ago was that? Did the noise come back at all?

Just over 6 weeks ago , been fine since ...

I think this problem may be known to Skoda as i believe it was their technical dept that advised the garage regarding the issue

I am curious myself how this works , and if it is a short term fix  ?

Ah ok, sounds promising.

Were you getting any bearing rumble noises when driving? When I'm cruising along at slower speeds, I can hear a mechanical whirring which sounds like knackered bearings to me. Also, the whistle/whine is audible at lower rpm even when driving now.

I'd best get it booked in under warranty :)

No Rumbling , just a whistling sound (like an old fashioned kettle) while on idle  ,  would only do it when up to temperature  , 

ambient temp seemed to effect it as well  ....   in the cold months it was ok

• 4 weeks later...

I dropped my car off with Lookers Skoda in Guildford today as I'm currently working nearby in Woking.

They called me earlier and confirmed the water pump will need to be replaced and they are hoping to have it rectified by the end of play tomorrow, all under warranty.

When I booked it in, I said I thought it was the water pump and I let them know that the car was modified (wheels, suspension, etc.)

Looking forward to handing their 1.0 Citigo back to them  :D

My car goes in for a service in 2 weeks ,  I will try find out about the additive , or maybe give Skoda a call  .. it was only after the garage contacted them for technical support , that the issue was resolved for me .

Yup after another ride out getting upto temp, it's squealing again!! I am really miffed as I have never had these daft issues with a car before (2x Octy vRs that only had service parts).  Is it a shonky parts run from the manufacturers or something else?  It seems to be across the group too.  A phone call to the dealer tomorrow! I wonder if 2 months from a water pump is a record  :D

I wonder what the additive is ? Years (er decades ago) when you had a noisy water pump I seem to remember garages adding a dash of brake fluid to the coolant - Think in my dads case this was for a Wolsey. Not that I'll be doing anything like this on a modern turbo engine

Mine is silent at 33k miles