Heat Soak ?

Hello all,

First of all thanks to those taking time to read this.

Yesterday a strange thing happened up here, this big yellow object kept appearing in the sky and the air was kinda not as cold. Googling revealed it was the sun and it is normal.

Enjoying the warmer "day" I was boosting on and off for about 20 mins on way home from work, and then pulled out to overtake a lorry and car. I boosted in third then hit fourth boosting hard still and for about 3 seconds power dropped by 70% (which is not fun on opposite side of road) then seemed to kick back in.

Is this what heat soak feels like? I thought dodgy fuel but I use BP ultimate every fill and would doubt it be that.

I have original kkk turbo and 122k on clock running about 160bhp. Hybrid turbo is in the post tho.

Cheers all

G

I would scan for any faults of you have access to a code reader.

That said, could be heat soak so worth pulling off the bumper and checking your SMIC as I found mine was gunked up when I removed mine for a FMIC at 90k

7C13D582-85C6-4149-9076-F9CD42E08893_zps

Thanks for input jars, after seeing that pic will def check that. I do have access to code reader but have only just used it on erasing EML after replacing MAF sensor and car is running fine since episode. I have never experienced anything like it.

Will def check tho

Cheers

G

Edited by Graffiti

Could be heat soak + blocked EGR combo? 

At 122k, i would have thought the ERG and manifold are due a really good clean. If your getting a hybrid, then fmic is a must really, if you want to use it.

With my experience of heat soak, the ECU will go into limp mode with vastly reduced power and it wont return to normal perfomance until you cycle the ignition (ie turn the car off then back on). You dont get the power coming back in as it were. You dont normally get an EML light on the dash or any other visual warnings, just goes dead flat.

• Like 1

Same as above, it cuts power and goes into limp mode.

Turning the ignition off and back on again will restore it untill it happens again. If you drive for long enough however it will log a fault.

• Like 1

You need to full scan using VCDS to see any fault codes etc...

VCDS map of members I think there are a few in Inverness area, I'm east of Inverness ..

With my experience of heat soak, the ECU will go into limp mode with vastly reduced power and it wont return to normal perfomance until you cycle the ignition (ie turn the car off then back on). You dont get the power coming back in as it were. You dont normally get an EML light on the dash or any other visual warnings, just goes dead flat.

Same as above, it cuts power and goes into limp mode.

Turning the ignition off and back on again will restore it untill it happens again. If you drive for long enough however it will log a fault.

What they said ^^^ That's the symptoms of heat soak. I get it on my Fabia 1.9 TDi (mapped to 154). Usually happens on mine when I get above 120 (on that private road we all know) or when pushing hard like what happened on session 2 of Castle Combe.

Runs like an SDi until the ignition is off for a few seconds. Turn back on and boost is back.