Diesel mapper

I currently have a stage 1 shark map on my Octavia VRS. Soon I'll be fitting an S3 intercooler and Miltek exhust along with DPF and EGR delete.

Obviously I need the EGR and DPF mapping out and I want a stage 2 map at the same time.

I am happy with the map from Shark but not their service so I won't be using them again.

So what other mappers are rated?

I've heard some bad reviews about Awesome who are local. Are Darkside any good and has anybody used Derv tech in Trafford Park? I drove past Derv tech earlier today and noticed quite a few Fabia diesels outside.

Derv are good lads but try kris at dieselpowered he is very honest cheap and has previously been the mapper for the big players in barnsley for a few years.........mapped many standard and big spec stuff on this forum too........drop him a mail

Edited by Stuart27183

I'd avoid Awesome. Not as good as they once were.

If you don't want to use Shark, I'd go with Darrel's recommendation of ADE Tuning :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I eventually get mine done, I will be going with Niki at R-tech, the link above.

I've done a lot of research this last week and there's frankly too much info and too many opinions out there when it comes to re-mapping.

One person might rave about one place, another might hate it. Although in essence they all do the same thing, the one I've read that has the best feedback and customer service is Niki at R-Tech.

May I ask a question whilst I'm here. A remap isn't imperative for me at the moment as I'm enjoying having the lazy diesel power and I'm not hammering it at all as I don't feel these cars are suited to being caned (I have a Fabia VRS PD130).  Something I have noticed which is bugging me is there is a slight hesitancy/flat spot between 1500 - 2000 rpm then the car goes.

I've read all manner of things such as DPF, clutch can't handle all the torque etc. This is happening at low revs in pretty much any gear based on a light throttle. I'm no mechanic and are certainly no expert in VAG cars but I can't see it being a flywheel or clutch issue.  It almost feels like fuel starvation of some kind.

My question is this - would a remap potentially eliminate this flat spot that occurs?

When I eventually get mine done, I will be going with Niki at R-tech, the link above.

I've done a lot of research this last week and there's frankly too much info and too many opinions out there when it comes to re-mapping.

One person might rave about one place, another might hate it. Although in essence they all do the same thing, the one I've read that has the best feedback and customer service is Niki at R-Tech.

May I ask a question whilst I'm here. A remap isn't imperative for me at the moment as I'm enjoying having the lazy diesel power and I'm not hammering it at all as I don't feel these cars are suited to being caned (I have a Fabia VRS PD130).  Something I have noticed which is bugging me is there is a slight hesitancy/flat spot between 1500 - 2000 rpm then the car goes.

I've read all manner of things such as DPF, clutch can't handle all the torque etc. This is happening at low revs in pretty much any gear based on a light throttle. I'm no mechanic and are certainly no expert in VAG cars but I can't see it being a flywheel or clutch issue.  It almost feels like fuel starvation of some kind.

My question is this - would a remap potentially eliminate this flat spot that occurs?

Do you mean a stutter/misfire type thing at around 1800 rpm? If so it's the egr doing its thing. Loads of stuff on it. There's ways to reduce its flow (gasket and/or adaptation) or get it deleted.

I don't think Niki does much diesel tuning. He's more focussed on 1.8t 2.0 TFSI

Says he maps 1.9PD engines on his site.

Do you mean a stutter/misfire type thing at around 1800 rpm? If so it's the egr doing its thing. Loads of stuff on it. There's ways to reduce its flow (gasket and/or adaptation) or get it deleted.

Yes pretty much, really annoying.

Does that mean the EGR is knackered then? I am going to read about the EGR delete over the coming week, is it an expensive fix?

What are the benefits, do you get improved throttle response? The car feels restricted is the best way I can describe it.

Says he maps 1.9PD engines on his site.

Yes pretty much, really annoying.

Does that mean the EGR is knackered then? I am going to read about the EGR delete over the coming week, is it an expensive fix?

What are the benefits, do you get improved throttle response? The car feels restricted is the best way I can describe it.

If it's just that stutter it's not knackered, just an inherent fault that effected most blt/ASZ engines, some more than others. Cheapest thing to try is a gasket that was released by vag to correct the fault with a reduced 9mm hole. Problem was that alone would throw a code so people drilled it out to 11-12mm to reduce flow and the stutter. I did mine to 12mm is much better but still slight, going to adjust the adaptation to cure it but still leave it fitted. I'm not sure about the benefits of deleting, suppose they're debatable, there is two sides to that story. Main one being not having to worry about it anymore I suppose!

I'm also pretty certain r-tech won't cater for custom diesel tuning.

If it's a map for your BMN engine then I'm led to believe that James Kilner at K-tune offers one of (if not the best) tuning solutions for this particular engine.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/KTune.co.uk

And he's only based over Barnsley way.

Edited by James@RRGRochdale

• 4 weeks later...