Yeti start/stop system.

Fabcol

Hi,

Many thanks once again guys for all your valuable and informative input.  :clap:

Thanks Mike for taking the time and trouble to add the PDF which I'll look at; you are of course right and I'm the first to admit I'm a dinosaur; for instance my mobile phone cost me £5 brand new off eBay about six years ago and I'm now on my second £10 top up; I've never used texts and don't know how to read texts either; I don't even know how to accept an incoming call in short I've absolutely no interest in using it; the only time I use it is once a month to phone home from Rufforth Auto Jumble to let Bron know I'm on my way home; it was bought just in case of emergencies. A bit more about me; I've never been abroad nor on a plane; Bron and I haven't had an holiday away from home for the last 39 years we don't need an holiday being content and comfortable at home; neither of us drink alcohol; smoke or do drugs; we aren't covered in tattoos and we don't have lots of metal sticking out of our body parts in short we are just a very quiet couple very content with the lifestyle we have; because we've looked after our money saving when we could and me paying into the works final salary pension I was able to fully retire in 2000 aged 53; this to us beats the heck out of living for today and not saving for tomorrow but we are rather rare in this respect having done without so much in our earlier years but now with great benefits. We have a beautiful detached random stone bungalow situated with panoramic views across the valley; I'm very well known on a number of Internet forums for my DIY activities and for my vintage radio/TV restorations; I've just been spending up to 15 hours a day giving our bungalow exterior a comprehensive makeover; this has left little time to play around problem solving after all I'm only a guy who is unable to multitask. 

Bron and I have just visited Burrows in Barnsley to look at Toyota pickup trucks; ideally a single cab very basic model would have been our choice but the trucks on sale which we saw were all the really big double cab models which would be an overkill just for the two of us so we returned home. I'll contact RRG in Rochdale and discuss deactivating the SS system because it really does wind me up having to keep switching it off; if I forget to switch the SS off before driving away then later remember whilst I'm looking down for the switch it takes my eyes from the road; in such a short time the vehicle in front could stop unexpectedly  as happens so many times; if I visit say our local post office just up the village and remember to switch the SS off; when I return to the Yeti I often forget to switch it off again and it then annoys when the engine dies at the next junction or whatever; I've become very sensitive to the SS and I dislike it with a passion. 

The cruise control isn't a problem at all because it's up to me whether I decide to use it or not unlike the SS system which is forced upon me by factory default; the SS system I'll moan about but not the cruise control. I've just checked the fuel consumption and found it was set on small 1; out of curiosity I used the steering wheel thumbwheel control and set it to consumption to see the numbers go berserk again so I've now got it settled again and hopefully it will remain settled. I do need as advised to spend a lot of time reading and understanding the owner's manual; it would be highly unfair of me to complain about the Yeti when the problem is my input and I'll not do this; the problems thus far though have occurred without me changing anything on the Yeti and it's rather disconcerting to get out of the Yeti; park it overnight then find something has changed by itself. I'll not accept something which works one minute then decides not to work as with the SS. I don't want to bang on about it but the Yeti refusing to start in such a situation in Bradford is totally unacceptable to me; I agree this could possibly happen with any make of car with SS installed but it happened to me in our Yeti and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I've just read your latest post Llanigraham for which I thank you. No I don't reset the monitoring system each time I check the tyres; why should I need to if the pressures are OK? Why add the complication of fuel consumption figures which behave as you kindly describe; this is of absolutely no use to me and it would be interesting if I'm the only one thinking for the average owner it to be a waste of time but once again many thanks for enlightening me. Our neighbours Jaguar is similar to the Merc you describe Llanigraham and he confesses there are so many controls he hasn't a clue what many of them are for.  :sweat:

Having now looked at Toyota pickups I'm settling down to realize I'll possibly be swapping one set of problems for another set of problems so rather than be constantly negative I'll go right back to when we bought the Yeti. I always fancied a Yeti liking the look of them but whilst in the showroom Bron and I thought they were a bit on the big side for just the two of us and looking at how big they appeared we thought running costs would be high; we bought the Fabia Monte Carlo in black over red and never regretted it thinking the Monte to be gorgeous. After receiving a VIP special event invitation we decided out of curiosity to see what was on offer and eventually struck up an excellent deal on our Yeti and we were over the moon to get the Yeti home but circumstances started to burst our bubble and I'll agree that it's now got a bit out of hand. I still regard the Yeti as a wonderful car and highly suited to us; it's more economical than the previous petrol Monte and much more comfortable especially on our bomb sites AKA roads; the Yeti riding position is also better and with Bron being unwell getting in and out of the Yeti is also much easier; I like the chunky looks of the Yeti and I even like the purposeful grunt from the engine; ours is the "adblue" model which I know nothing of at the moment but believe this is a bonus. I've just been so incredibly busy and with lots of problems the Yeti just adding to them; I didn't start this thread with the intention of trying to put anyone off owning a Yeti; far from it; if I can get the SS system disabled Bron and I will keep our Yeti and get to know it better

Changing the Yeti for another make is unlikely as members state to get rid of the SS problem because so many cars now have this system installed so if it cannot be disabled it looks like I'll have to suffer it and stop complaining because no one like a moaner. This thread hopefully has generated lots of interest and I'll be happy to post any details as to if I can get the SS disabled; I have some tin snips and being a mechanical engineer a nice big hammer? I've got the owner's manual in front of me and I'll have a look at the PDF kindly supplied by Mike; time for me to think positive.

Kind regards, Col.

Thanks Col.

The dealer will not disable the Stop/Start. They are not allowed to even if they could, and several people have tried to "un-code" it from the computer. There is allegedly a way of doing it but no-one has proved that it doesn't affect other things, so should be discounted, and someone else says they have found a possible route through VCDS, but again this has not been tested or confirmed. The dealer could not do the later as their system doesn't allow the same "alterations" as VCDS.

I find the continuous fuel consumption figures useful, as it shows me how economically I am driving, and is why my Maxidot is permanently set to that, and I know there are others here who do the same.

Now about the Auto Jumble: I lost the lens and light unit out of one of the headlights on my Lomax yesterday, so am looking for a pair of 7" standalone headlights with internal side lights..........................

Graham: a 63 year old, ex Civil Servant, ex railway signalman, living in a bungalow with no mortgage, slightly disabled in the right hand, and with a pierced ear because I wanted to be slightly rebellious!

And growing old disgracefully!!  :notme:   :angel:   :D

• Like 2

Hi,

Many thanks once again guys for all your valuable and informative input.  :clap:

Thanks Mike for taking the time and trouble to add the PDF which I'll look at; you are of course right and I'm the first to admit I'm a dinosaur; for instance my mobile phone cost me £5 brand new off eBay about six years ago and I'm now on my second £10 top up; I've never used texts and don't know how to read texts either; I don't even know how to accept an incoming call in short I've absolutely no interest in using it; the only time I use it is once a month to phone home from Rufforth Auto Jumble to let Bron know I'm on my way home; it was bought just in case of emergencies. A bit more about me; I've never been abroad nor on a plane; Bron and I haven't had an holiday away from home for the last 39 years we don't need an holiday being content and comfortable at home; neither of us drink alcohol; smoke or do drugs; we aren't covered in tattoos and we don't have lots of metal sticking out of our body parts in short we are just a very quiet couple very content with the lifestyle we have; because we've looked after our money saving when we could and me paying into the works final salary pension I was able to fully retire in 2000 aged 53; this to us beats the heck out of living for today and not saving for tomorrow but we are rather rare in this respect having done without so much in our earlier years but now with great benefits. We have a beautiful detached random stone bungalow situated with panoramic views across the valley; I'm very well known on a number of Internet forums for my DIY activities and for my vintage radio/TV restorations; I've just been spending up to 15 hours a day giving our bungalow exterior a comprehensive makeover; this has left little time to play around problem solving after all I'm only a guy who is unable to multitask. 

Bron and I have just visited Burrows in Barnsley to look at Toyota pickup trucks; ideally a single cab very basic model would have been our choice but the trucks on sale which we saw were all the really big double cab models which would be an overkill just for the two of us so we returned home. I'll contact RRG in Rochdale and discuss deactivating the SS system because it really does wind me up having to keep switching it off; if I forget to switch the SS off before driving away then later remember whilst I'm looking down for the switch it takes my eyes from the road; in such a short time the vehicle in front could stop unexpectedly  as happens so many times; if I visit say our local post office just up the village and remember to switch the SS off; when I return to the Yeti I often forget to switch it off again and it then annoys when the engine dies at the next junction or whatever; I've become very sensitive to the SS and I dislike it with a passion. 

The cruise control isn't a problem at all because it's up to me whether I decide to use it or not unlike the SS system which is forced upon me by factory default; the SS system I'll moan about but not the cruise control. I've just checked the fuel consumption and found it was set on small 1; out of curiosity I used the steering wheel thumbwheel control and set it to consumption to see the numbers go berserk again so I've now got it settled again and hopefully it will remain settled. I do need as advised to spend a lot of time reading and understanding the owner's manual; it would be highly unfair of me to complain about the Yeti when the problem is my input and I'll not do this; the problems thus far though have occurred without me changing anything on the Yeti and it's rather disconcerting to get out of the Yeti; park it overnight then find something has changed by itself. I'll not accept something which works one minute then decides not to work as with the SS. I don't want to bang on about it but the Yeti refusing to start in such a situation in Bradford is totally unacceptable to me; I agree this could possibly happen with any make of car with SS installed but it happened to me in our Yeti and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I've just read your latest post Llanigraham for which I thank you. No I don't reset the monitoring system each time I check the tyres; why should I need to if the pressures are OK? Why add the complication of fuel consumption figures which behave as you kindly describe; this is of absolutely no use to me and it would be interesting if I'm the only one thinking for the average owner it to be a waste of time but once again many thanks for enlightening me. Our neighbours Jaguar is similar to the Merc you describe Llanigraham and he confesses there are so many controls he hasn't a clue what many of them are for.  :sweat:

Having now looked at Toyota pickups I'm settling down to realize I'll possibly be swapping one set of problems for another set of problems so rather than be constantly negative I'll go right back to when we bought the Yeti. I always fancied a Yeti liking the look of them but whilst in the showroom Bron and I thought they were a bit on the big side for just the two of us and looking at how big they appeared we thought running costs would be high; we bought the Fabia Monte Carlo in black over red and never regretted it thinking the Monte to be gorgeous. After receiving a VIP special event invitation we decided out of curiosity to see what was on offer and eventually struck up an excellent deal on our Yeti and we were over the moon to get the Yeti home but circumstances started to burst our bubble and I'll agree that it's now got a bit out of hand. I still regard the Yeti as a wonderful car and highly suited to us; it's more economical than the previous petrol Monte and much more comfortable especially on our bomb sites AKA roads; the Yeti riding position is also better and with Bron being unwell getting in and out of the Yeti is also much easier; I like the chunky looks of the Yeti and I even like the purposeful grunt from the engine; ours is the "adblue" model which I know nothing of at the moment but believe this is a bonus. I've just been so incredibly busy and with lots of problems the Yeti just adding to them; I didn't start this thread with the intention of trying to put anyone off owning a Yeti; far from it; if I can get the SS system disabled Bron and I will keep our Yeti and get to know it better

Changing the Yeti for another make is unlikely as members state to get rid of the SS problem because so many cars now have this system installed so if it cannot be disabled it looks like I'll have to suffer it and stop complaining because no one like a moaner. This thread hopefully has generated lots of interest and I'll be happy to post any details as to if I can get the SS disabled; I have some tin snips and being a mechanical engineer a nice big hammer? I've got the owner's manual in front of me and I'll have a look at the PDF kindly supplied by Mike; time for me to think positive.

Kind regards, Col.

My first Yeti was a delight to drive, now that the new one has thrown a few wobblies

I am a little suspicious of it around town if the engine is cold but I am warming to it

again. It tows my Bailey 400/2 at a very reasonable pace and always makes me smile

when I drive solo. I suggest you have a little chat with the gremlins that occupy all

machinery (and electronics too apparently) name the Yeti "Mellon" (friend) and carry

on as if nothing has happened. Just enjoy it.

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for your information Graham; It looks like we are stuck with the SS like it or not. I'll never interfere with modern car electronics and if the main dealer is unable to dump the SS then I'l not push it further; I don't want to become a pest either and I'm well aware the world can read this thread so I would like to make it clear I don't hate our Yeti I just hate the SS; I think I've got it off my chest now and we'll settle with the Yeti; RRG appear to be an excellent dealership who will look after us and our Yeti solving what actually was the major problem whilst with the SS I'll eventually switch it off automatically each time I start the engine with the key.

At 63 years Graham you are still a kid; I'm 69 and still playing with all my toys including climbing our big trees to "top" them. Whilst at school myself and school chums used to climb over the wall at the "Plant" in Doncaster in the early sixties and many times we've sneaked into the cab whilst engineers have worked on the boiler; we did this a number of times with engines like Mallard and in those days Mallard used to pull us from Wakefield to Doncaster and back Mallard still in service. Pity about your pierced ear; did you catch it on something in the workshop.  :D  :angel:

The fuel consumption now set at is the fuel consumption I've always used and do find it very informative the best reading ever so far being just over 77 mpg which is brilliant. I was on about another way the fuel is displayed and it simply doesn't make any sense at all because the figures were up and down at random; perhaps I'm not being understood and again perhaps there is actually a fault?

Although I'm classed as a doddering old fool going gaga because of my age I hope I don't get my legs slapped by the mods but I'm not the usual type of guy being definitely an individual who can think for himself; I started my last job loading wagons and when I retired 24 years later I was in charge of three departments; I've briefly mentioned my other forums but if allowed here are a few links hopefully to show I'm not yet senile;

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62371&page=13

This TV restoration was a huge project but the page above is only one of many; please see post #248 for before and after pictures; I also restored the chassis.

https://sites.google.com/site/colinwoodhuddersfield/

My website; please browse the sections in the top left hand corner; I don't ever do things by half.

Thanks for your encouragement gumdrop; I'll now keep our Yeti and as you say I'll enjoy it; if it misbehaves I'll throw stones at it on the forum. Just adding the thread and discussing the assorted problems here on Briskoda forum has actually helped me a lot and I've let steam off so my safety valve is seated once again. Time I got off my backside and into the garage; I'm making a welding trolley which I intended making 50 years ago and have finally got around to it.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards, Col.

Good for you Col!

I keep meaning to make a digital camera from a scanner

attached to a homemade 8"x10" view camera but never

get around to it

• Like 1

Hey up Col

We've some things in common. There's just the two of us now too, although we do like travel (and in the car) particularly France and Italy, and we've been known to enjoy a glass of vin rouge. I left the wacky backy back in the 60's, and haven't yet felt the need for body art.

But I can beat you on the retirement though. I was 49, in the corporate world, when we had a merger. This was back in the days of non-contributory final salary pensions, with the facility to take redundancy, and combine with an immediate pension if 50. They were so keen to get rid of a layer of managers they even added 5 years to my service.

I finished in the month of my 50th birthday, on 31/121999. New century, new lifestyle  :dance:

Those days, and deals, have gone of course.

Have had a few little jobs since but been fully retired about 5 years. I'm 67 in December. Mrs G is taking her deferred pension, but still does 2 days a week in a local Estate Agency.

We've a nice little going on. Health is the key.

Best regards. I hope you can get used to the car.

Mike

• Like 1

Pity about your pierced ear; did you catch it on something in the workshop.  :D  :angel:

The fuel consumption now set at is the fuel consumption I've always used and do find it very informative the best reading ever so far being just over 77 mpg which is brilliant. I was on about another way the fuel is displayed and it simply doesn't make any sense at all because the figures were up and down at random; perhaps I'm not being understood and again perhaps there is actually a fault?

It was something I promised to do for my 60th birthday, but chickened out until this year. My mother hated blokes with pierced ears; she and I didn't get on that well, and now I wear one of her earrings!.

As has been said, you had the "Continuous Consumption" figures showing, and the results you saw, continually varying, would have been correct; it was not a fault. Stop worrying about it.

I used to know a man who restored old radios who lived in Weobley, Herefordshire.

Now off to cook dinner so shall read your website later.

• Like 1

Going back to the original post, I had exactly the same problem with my Polo. The starter motor refusing to engage when using stop start at traffic lights. Like the original poster the worst time it happened was in a queue of traffic. I eventually got the car started and it was booked into the dealers.

Fortunately the car did the stop start failure for the tech on a test drive.......the outcome of this was that there was a "defect" with the flywheel which was replaced along with the clutch. Cost upwards of 2 grand and fortunately was done under the warranty.

Makes you wonder if there is a flaw with VAG flywheels??.........

• Like 1

The "depress clutch" notice has caught me out a few times

That message makes me sad.  Doesn't the clutch have a hard enough life as it is without some punter coming along and making it feel bad?

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 3

Hi,

Now's the time to get cracking with your digi camera project gumdrop; I've been welding for over 50 years and at home my SIP 140A arc welder has always been put back into its original box after use and stored in the bench; I've just bought a Pickhill Bantam 180A arc welder oil cooled it being industrial on either 240V or 415V supply; it's so heavy I can't lift it and two of us struggled to lift it into the Yeti; actually it was this welder I was driving through Bradford to collect when the Yeti misbehaved; the weight of this Pickhill suddenly brought a new wheeled welding trolley to the top of the list and the trolley is now almost ready to put into service. Good luck if you have a go with the digi camera project which sounds interesting.

Yes we do have a number of things in common Mike and we even both live in Yorkshire; I too took redundancy and accepted a cash lump sum from my works pension; Bron and I already had savings so the first thing we did was to pay off the mortgage making us totally debt free apart from now with the usual rip off council tax etc; typical though when we first had a mortgage the interest rate rose quickly to 15% but now we have ISA savings the interest is so low it's a joke. We use a savings account solely for funding our new car when we trade in usually at around 3 years; we've just received a letter each saying the interest rate on this account is dropping; how far could it drop from a paltry 0.25% but yes it's dropped considerably now to be 0.05% but then tax will have to be paid on this. Health is indeed the key to an happy retirement; what amazes us is that given our very basic lifestyle we are now much better off in retirement than when I was in active conflict; my works pension and now both of us a drain on the state with old age pensions which by the way we've paid into. The main thing in my life is my Bron whom I love to bits and Bron makes every day special. Given your location Mike you'll be acutely aware of just how bad my situation was down Manningham Lane and although I appear to be highly negative about our Yeti anyone suffering a similar situation wouldn't be full of praise either; Manningham Lane in Bradford is a nightmare for a casual visitor; so many street signs and endless road markings to try to read plus bus lanes which I found myself on but fortunately not in force at the time. The welder though is top quality.

Nice one Llanigraham; that's your mother well sorted then.  :D  I'm not worrying about the fuel consumption figures but it just puzzles me why this particular display would be added because for a normal driver I can't see any use at all for it. I used to be an active member of BVWS (British Vintage Radio Society) and I've had over ten articles published in the BVWS "Bulletin"; I was also honoured with top award for my full and comprehensive restoration of an AVO Wave Winder in 2009 where I cut over 45 cast iron gears using a new method I dreamt up on my lathe. Hope you find something of interest on my website because the projects are many and varied. I hope the moderators don't give me a slap because I like to add a bit of personal background information which perhaps could be taken as off topic; I'll keep my head down below the parapet just in case.  :sweat:

Thanks threadbear; it's good to learn I'm not alone with SS problems; you'll appreciate first hand just how distressing it can be when the SS fails to activate. Having now used the SS system if there isn't a flaw now with our starter/ring gear I shudder to think what will happen once cars fitted with SS will be like in say four or five years time when the starter motors and flywheel ring gear wear out; it will be a very lucrative earner for the dealers and possibly the second hand value of such cars will plummet; I'm only thinking aloud but I forecast long term expensive problems with cars which have had the SS permanently engaged; am I wrong well I've added my own feelings up front so I'll wait and see. Our SS won't be worn out because I'll no longer use it because I no longer trust it and I'm not just condemning it out of hand because I've been using the SS for a couple of months. I was thinking about the SS earlier and I'm unable to touch it due to the warranty but it would be interesting to view a circuit diagram; I could be totally wrong but the SS switch possibly will be a simple make or break switch with perhaps a relay and if so what is connected to the relay; I doubt just pulling a single wire off will work yes it will deactivate the switch but what is further along the line; will the onboard software detect the break in the circuit thus not allow the engine to be started by the key; I simply don't know but I have done some basic electronics and also spent ten years restoring vintage valve radios; just a few thought? When I have a bit of spare time I'll back track and look at the links kindly added so far and have a browse of the web to see if I can find any information which might be of interest.

I've just installed a new decking and the Jotun marine anti slip paint has just arrived; no more preservative for me which washes off as quickly as it's applied let's see this paint wash off as quickly; this is actually related to the Yeti discussion because so many new things are not a patch on the old? Our Yeti is now key start only unless I forget to switch the SS off.  :angel:

Kind regards, Col.

• Like 1

The Stop/Start system isn't a simple switch.

Don't forget that the Yeti, like most modern cars, uses a CanBus wiring system, so is far from simple. Gone are the days of simply fitting a switch in a circuit!

We do know that the S/S system takes account of:

alternator output

battery voltage

air temperature

air conditioning activity

tow bar activation

possibly others

What we don't know is what interaction there is between each element and what would happen if only one element was "removed"

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks Llanigraham; if it was as simple as disconnecting the switch to the SS to disable it I'm sure YouTube would have lots of videos showing how to do it; switching the SS off as you rightly say won't simply switch just the SS off because other functions are coupled to it which is a pity. I fondly remember the days when I could take a car to bits with an handful of spanners and screwdrivers plus a big hammer; I'm sure if anyone sneezes in a modern car there will be a function set to cover it although as yet I've not found this on our Yeti?  My old BSA FWD trike was about as simple as it comes.  :D 

I'm now getting used to starting the Yeti and switching the SS off; it will become automatic given a bit of time; I do love so much about our Yeti and can't think of a better car to suit us. I'm sure it will prove the best choice long term.  :angel:

Kind regards, Col. 

Hi,

Thanks Llanigraham; if it was as simple as disconnecting the switch to the SS to disable it I'm sure YouTube would have lots of videos showing how to do it; switching the SS off as you rightly say won't simply switch just the SS off because other functions are coupled to it which is a pity. I fondly remember the days when I could take a car to bits with an handful of spanners and screwdrivers plus a big hammer; I'm sure if anyone sneezes in a modern car there will be a function set to cover it although as yet I've not found this on our Yeti?  My old BSA FWD trike was about as simple as it comes.  :D

I'm now getting used to starting the Yeti and switching the SS off; it will become automatic given a bit of time; I do love so much about our Yeti and can't think of a better car to suit us. I'm sure it will prove the best choice long term.  :angel:

Kind regards, Col. 

That's why my other car is this:

02_zps7phrbggk.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,...

.....Given your location Mike you'll be acutely aware of just how bad my situation was down Manningham Lane...

Kind regards, Col.

Oh, I am. But if you thought Manningham Lane was bad, avoid Leeds Rd at all costs.

We're talking of streets where knowledge of the Highway Code is negligible and driving licences and car insurance are optional extras  :sweat:

The Yeti (via Smartlink and android auto) got us safely in and out of Milan in June. Much less scary than Bradford.

Take care mon ami.

• Like 1

Hi Col,

If you like new cars and plan to change, it's probably worth understanding the 'tech' that you are going to HAVE to get used to:

Stop Start is now almost a 'given' for all bit the smallest engines, in order to get the best emissions figures and meet Euro 6 standards. This includes SS being default 'on'.

Tyre pressure monitoring is now also mandatory on all new cars.

I think the depress clutch is also now standard across all new manual cars.

As you've said, you chan choose not to use cruise if you don't like it

Fuel consumption - best left in trip average rather than constant.

I appreciate the Yeti handbook isn't the best though - even those on here with a good tech brain find it confusing.

• Like 2

The Stop/Start system isn't a simple switch.

Don't forget that the Yeti, like most modern cars, uses a CanBus wiring system, so is far from simple. Gone are the days of simply fitting a switch in a circuit!

We do know that the S/S system takes account of:

alternator output

battery voltage

air temperature

air conditioning activity

tow bar activation

possibly others

What we don't know is what interaction there is between each element and what would happen if only one element was "removed"

The stop start on my Polo doesnt always switch off. It is either when the car is too cold or the DPF is burning off some soot. I don`t use it in stop start traffic as I believe that puts undue stress on the components. However junctions  with traffic lights etc, I keep the the system running so it works as planned. I find the car switches itself off even if the A/C and fan is running and wipers as well. 

• Like 1

Fabcol.........you have been given a lot of great advice on this forum to resolve most of the issues you have experienced,if you use it in conjunction with the handbook and tackle one problem at a time,sort it and then move on to the next you will soon be sorted, as reading this topic thro for the first time some of the solutions have been given already well described.

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks for adding the picture Llanigraham; is the little sports job a Dutton? I remember years ago when lots of kit cars were available (possibly still are) they came in all shapes and sizes; beach buggies were popular for a time. 

I do agree with many of the comments regarding new cars needing a steep learning curve to get to know them and I admit I'm lacking in this but I'm now getting on top of all my work so as winter rolls in I'll be able to fully digest the owners handbook and of course ask questions on Briskoda that possibly others would like to ask but are a bit afraid of looking silly? I used to witness lots of this whilst at work in meetings and seminars where colleagues would rather sit quietly letting others think they were a fool rather than speaking up and proving they were a fool; I ask questions if I want to know the answer and whilst giving team briefs at work I always openly stated that there was no stupid question so ask away; I don't care if I appear stupid at least I'll find the answers.

Our Yeti is only two years newer than our previous Fabia Monte but given it's spec it is light years ahead of the Monte and to a great extent this is the root of my current problems. The trouble I suffered in bradford with the SS really has rattled me but I'm now more settled and finding my former love of the Yeti now that I no longer engage the SS; the other things are just niggles and could be seen as nitpicking on my part but I've raised them wondering if I'm the only one to suffer the sticking fuel gauge and to notice the fuel consumption to whiz up and down on a particular setting but I am still basically very happy with our Yeti and having now looked at the Toyota pick up trucks the Yeti is a much better choice for us. Switching off the SS each time I use the Yeti isn't such a big deal but I had hoped the SS could be isolated which it clearly cannot be so I'll live with switching it off; as many of you have stated most modern cars are really clones of each other; I'm sure if one manufacturer put a bag of manure on the rear seat claiming it was a new must have function or accessory all other car manufacturers would quickly follow.

I'm acutely aware I appear to have been doing nothing but moan about our Yeti but it hasn't just been the few problems or niggles I've encountered with the Yeti other circumstances have added to compound the problems getting us off to the worst ever possible start with a new car which is something we've never suffered previously. I've added details in another thread so the problems are well covered. Time for me to move on and enjoy the Yeti after all it is a very nice car and a pleasure to drive. Now I'm more settled with our Yeti Bron too is warming to it

As usual I'm up early and busy; I've a few minutes before dashing off to Meadowhall but later today I'll be working flat out again; I never seem to have a minute to call my own; I don't know how I ever managed whilst I was working full time but I'd much rather be busy than drop dead through boredom in retirement as so many do.

Thanks Sad555; your post appeared just as I was about to add this post; I agree with your comments and can't thank everyone enough for trying their best to help me which they have and I'm appreciative; it has become clear though that the SS is both loved and loathed; fortunately in my case I can loathe but switch it off then ignore it. 

Kind regards, Col.

If you have the Maxdot you can always look to see the fuel range, I've found this very usefull at times and seems fairly accurate.

I think I share some of your characteristics in that if something goes wrong there's an immediate flight/fight reaction. However, I do like a challenge and find that working at problems keeps the little gray cells working. I'm sure your going to just love the Yeti, it's difficult not too!

• Like 1

Is that a 2CV motor

Gumdrop and Colin, it is a Lomax kit car, based on a 2CV. Mine is based on a 1982 car, registered in Birmingham and converted in the mid 90's. I bought it ready built in April this year, as a running retirement project and am gradually getting it to suit me. Have changed the exhaust to something a little quieter, removed the hood as it was full of holes, and am having a new one made over the winter, altered the seat mountings so they are a bit more comfortable, rewired the lighting circuit after it failed the MOT, and over the winter want to redesign the dashboard and make a new panel to go under the windscreen. Was out in it on Saturday (getting soaked!!) doing a Classic Car Run with my Club (CSMA) and one of the headlights fell apart so I have now got to buy 2 new units, as I drove over the one that fell out and can't get a replacement lens unit for it. I bought the Lomax on the Wednesday in Eastbourne, and the Yeti on the Friday of the same week in Swansea!!

Colin, I say again, the results you saw on the Maxidot, with the fuel consumption figures continually varying was not a fault, but showed the continuous fuel consumption, which obviously will vary. I suspect you had inadvertently knocked the knob on the steering wheel and had moved it to a different setting. Perhaps it might be an idea for you to see what all the different settings that are in that display, and find one that suits you. There are lots!  

There are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers! (And you'll probably get a few of those from some people on here!!)

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 2

Hi,

Thanks ernieb; like you I too enjoy a challenge but some challenges are unwelcome; I've been so busy working on our bungalow with numerous challenges thrown at me the Yeti took me by surprise as did associated problems with the supplying dealer; I just went into overload and the Yeti failing to start in Bradford without such a fight was the last straw. Bron and I have just returned from Meadowhall a 46 mile round journey mostly down the M1; When we set off each way I immediately switched off the SS; I'm now a lot more settled and even used the cruise control at 67 mph for a five mile stretch then dropped it to 48mph for the average 50 mph speed limit; when I engage cruise control the engine appears to have a lot more power with quite an initial surge; I've absolutely no problem with modern kit as long as I have full control of it; for our journeys mostly in traffic the cruise control  isn't worth using but this is OK by me. Having switched off the SS the Yeti now pleases me a great deal and behaves more as I expect and I feel in full control.

Thanks Llanigraham for the car update; Bron and I have owned 2 x Citroen 2CV's enjoying both; with two weeks 0/60mph acceleration was hardly rapid but these cars had a lot going for them; doors boot lid etc easily removed as was the rear bench seat; we carried all kinds of materials in them such as timber and stone; with the rear seat and front passenger seat removed I brought home from the scrapyard two very heavy gauge 10' long steel pipes ensuring I was plane spotting all the way; great cars. It is possible I caught the control knob on the steering wheel but as I said after two months of seeing the AV Consumption displayed it was a real surprise to see it suddenly going berserk. I've actually been familiarising myself with the steering wheel knobs whilst waiting for the supermarket to open and feeling unstressed; Bron says I should take a degree in "Yeti". I've never been a knob twiddler and each time I park the Yeti I expect it to behave as last used so when things change like the fuel consumption figures bouncing up and down then the SS behaving the way it did it just throws me off balance; normally it takes quite a bit to rattle me but once I get a bit of time and if the mods look the other way I'll add a few pictures onto Photo Bucket then I can access them for the forum; I was already working flat out with my head and hands fully occupied and didn't expect having to learn so much about our new car; I had been using both the cruise control and the SS without trouble then suddenly I had a new car which refused to start; this sort of thing never happens in the middle of a field does it?

Yesterday was the first time in a month I managed to update my website daily log; retirement is full time; maximum overtime; no holidays; no sick pay and very little time to myself; I'd rather have it like this and I'll try to add a sample of the jobs which are taking up so much of my time then perhaps will redeem myself a bit.  :angel:

Kind regards, Col. 

When I engage cruise control the engine appears to have a lot more power with quite an initial surge

That sounds like you are pressing the resume button (top at end of stalk) press the set button (bottom at end of stalk) and it should set the speed seamlessly to what you are already doing, then use the buttons to vary the speed to your needs.

• Like 1

Colin.

On the way back from my volunteering day on the Corris Railway I checked the wording of the Maxidot for the different "consumption" settings.

The wildly varying one, showing the actual real-time  consumption, is headed "Consumption"

The more steady one is headed "Av Consumption" and has a 1 or 2 in the top right corner.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks Urrell for the information; I had actually read the handbook instructions regarding the cruise control but got it the wrong way around as you rightly describe; I'll soon get used to it with a bit more practice; I'm just a guy so cannot multi-task but I'm now getting on top of my jobs so will be able to spend more time in the Yeti and concentrate more. 

It's very decent of you to check the fuel consumption displays for me  Llanigraham; thank you. I had finally sussed them both out having played with the steering wheel control; as you said earlier I might have accidentally caught the control knocking the display to "Consumption" but now it's back to how I like it on "Average Consumption"; I don't see how I could have caught the control though because it brings up an assortment of displays but I could be wrong because I'm new to this. Another strange thing to happen during my Bradford trip; rather than play around with the Garmin SatNav en-route I decided to add the destination in Bingley before setting off and let the SatNav do it's thing; three miles from home a message appeared on the SatNav screen informing me "External power source has been lost"? How the heck could this be so; I have a splitter installed in the 12v socket to power both the SatNav and the dash camera; the camera was still running OK but I let the SatNav run on its own battery which was a huge mistake; as I was about to leave Manningham Lane the SatNav decided to let me know it was running on a very low battery and after all the problems with the SS I now lost the SatNav just when most needed; I'll never ever forget that horrible afternoon. After collecting and loading the welder I headed home and now as I plugged in the splitter both the camera and SatNav worked as normal; I just do not believe my bad luck. Typical to lose the SatNav but not the dash camera?

I've been extremely busy giving our detached bungalow a full and comprehensive makeover both interior and exterior; the problem is that I never do things the simple way; Last year whilst working in a constant black hole called Yorkshire where summer never happened I was grafting doing the interior; the front room I attacked ripping out the original random stone fireplace which was ten feet long; Bron and I chose the new gas fire; surround and hearth but I designed and made the wooden mantle; I added panelling below dado height and after a full paint job a new carpet finished it off. Also last year I gave our master bedroom a full makeover installing panelling and also a coffered ceiling then again giving a top quality paint job with new carpet to complete it.

This year one major job has been to totally change the bungalow exterior; the old wooden cladding was removed and I made new cladding from 18mm thick exterior grade plywood using one of my big 3hp routers; the paint is expensive Benjamin Moore (American) Aura exterior satin at £70 per US gallon; I bought over five gallons. I've just the handrail to make and install to the new decking above the garage which is very near being completed; I've just given the decking boards their second coat of Jotun Marine anti slip paint; the framework is industrial steel being 6mm thick which I've cut; drilled and welded etc. I do absolutely everything working on my own from design to complation; I won't go into a lot of detail because this after all is a Skoda forum and not the DIY forum I'm an active member of.

I just wanted to explain why I've been unable to settle down and study the Yeti owner's manual; I've simply not had the time and certainly had enough to occupy my head and hands with; yesterday I completed the new welding trolley; it was this Pickhill Bantam welder which saw me driving through Bradford to collect it just over a week ago when I had so much trouble with the Yeti SS. It's a long time since I used Photo Bucket so please bear with me if the pictures don't appear; the other forums I'm a member of I can add images direct from my computer but as usual I need to spend time getting used to Briskoda.

Kind regards, Col.

[/url]">http://Front%20room%20makeover%20done%20by%20me

[/url]">http://Finished%20front%20bedroom%20Apl%202015%

[/url]">http://Exterior%20painting%20underway%20May%202

[/url]">http://Bungalow%20exterior%20makeover%20Oct%202

[/url]">http://http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/retired2000/media/New%20welding%20trolley..jpg.html'>New%20welding%20trolley..jpg