Slims Detailing

kidology

Took delivery of a couple yesterday, will be using them for the first time next week, the idea behind it makes sense when compared to the normal paddle style guards which we've all been using for years.

On a side note if you haven't used Slim's before they come highly recommended - one of only 3 traders that I use - Slims, Polished Bliss and Dooka.

cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for that i can see the benefits going by the video. I just bought an adams wash mitt, its a huge thing. Bought from prestige car care. Good service only down side they use myhermes.

Having said that they now knock on the door. I see next day delivery as well monday to friday. I will have a look around the site always need something.

• Like 1

Took delivery of a couple yesterday, will be using them for the first time next week, the idea behind it makes sense when compared to the normal paddle style guards which we've all been using for years.

On a side note if you haven't used Slim's before they come highly recommended - one of only 3 traders that I use - Slims, Polished Bliss and Dooka.

cheers

Chris

Chris, pop an update on here with your thoughts on them please, also could you measure the diameter of them it would be nice to know if they would be a nice tight fit in my buckets. 

• Like 1

Ive used slims a few times now and they are very good i even have the slims girl t-shirt "if only he had his hands on me as much as his car" for when im out cleaning the cars.

As for the chemical guys grit guards im going to buy a couple of them i was reading about them on detailing world and they got a good write up, when you put your mitt back into a normal grit guard bucket you could potentially stir the grit up, i think the idea with the cyclone is that you cant pull the grit back up!

• Like 1

Yep I've spent £170 at slims on my first order, they're very good and customer services are brilliant. I had to ring them up as I hadnt received a text with the tracking, it literally was answered within 10 seconds.

Ive used slims a few times now and they are very good i even have the slims girl t-shirt "if only he had his hands on me as much as his car" for when im out cleaning the cars.

As for the chemical guys grit guards im going to buy a couple of them i was reading about them on detailing world and they got a good write up, when you put your mitt back into a normal grit guard bucket you could potentially stir the grit up, i think the idea with the cyclone is that you cant pull the grit back up!

Bit the bullet bought a guard, will wait till after xmas i need a few bits and bobs.

Any body used these, just been watching video on a new grit guard.Has any body seen or used them, a chemical guy product by the looks.

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/chemical-guys-cyclone-dirt-trap-car-wash-bucket-insert.html

Looks great - interested in what you guys think when you test them out....  :thumbup:

Mine arrived wednesday night by interlink. To say it was well packaged is an understatement. Its a beautifull bit of kit has 4 longer cones around the outside and 2 in the middle. { Feet }

All the holes are in a cone shape, so can understand now why it should be fit for purpose. Its not like the flimsy grit guards of old and has a nice solid feel to it. Hole size on the top are

just short of half an inch. Roughly 228 holes. Hope this helps, i know they arent cheap. Cost over £16.00 but i will get another now as they are worth the outlay.

Edited by kidology

Mine arrived wednesday night by interlink. To say it was well packaged is an understatement. Its a beautifull bit of kit has 4 longer cones around the outside and 2 in the middle. { Feet }

All the holes are in a cone shape, so can understand now why it should be fit for purpose. Its not like the flimsy grit guards of old and has a nice solid feel to it. Hole size on the top are

just short of half an inch. Roughly 228 holes. Hope this helps, i know they arent cheap. Cost over £16.00 but i will get another now as they are worth the outlay.

What is the diameter of them please (the actual guard and not the holes) so people can work out whether they will fit their buckets.

What is the diameter of them please (the actual guard and not the holes) so people can work out whether they will fit their buckets.

Diamater is just under 10 and a half inches, i Have maxolen buckets and they fit fine.

Edited by kidology
  • Like 1

Diamater is just under 10 and a half inches, i Have maxolen buckets and they fit fine.

Thanks for the info on these.

I'll measure up my buckets tonight and look out for any discounts over the Xmas/NY sales. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

cheers

Chris

Gent's, so what are your thoughts on these, do they work better than the everyday grit guards or is it all hype? 

• Like 1

Gent's, so what are your thoughts on these, do they work better than the everyday grit guards or is it all hype? 

In the absence of any feedback; i checked the dimensions and just ordered anyway mate. :thumbup:

In the absence of any feedback; i checked the dimensions and just ordered anyway mate. :thumbup:

Maybe you can give me your thoughts on them when you've tried them Ste, were there any deals to be had before I look to invest £48.00

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

Maybe you can give me your thoughts on them when you've tried them Ste, were there any deals to be had before I look to invest £48.00

Yes only just had time to try mine friday 23rd december. Car was dirtier than normal, but the bottom of the bucket had more dirt in than the norm. On first impression i give it a thumbs up.

It seems strange, its took so long to design something of the like. And a big thumbs up for Slims also.

• Like 4

Sure, i will post up when i get chance to use them.....

No deals as such unfortunately - but with the Slim's introductory 10% discount offer - you can save.

Or the CYC 5% code would also help a little. :thumbup:

• Like 2

I've tried mine but was in such a hurry to clean the car before it got dark that I forgot to check how well it'd performed.

• Like 3

Apologies, been away on hols...

I've used them a couple of times now including a side2side test with the previous grit guard...in summary I think it does keep the 'sediment' below the guard better than the original version given the noticeable tide mark on the side of the bucket where the guard sat once I'd removed it.

A couple of points - one being that you are relying on the sediment to be small enough to go through the cone filters and two it's not very good if you use it in the shampoo bucket as I did with the previous guard so now I use the new one in the rinse bucket, old one in the shampoo bucket as I did previously.....safety first! :nerd:

Chris

• Like 3

Apologies, been away on hols...

I've used them a couple of times now including a side2side test with the previous grit guard...in summary I think it does keep the 'sediment' below the guard better than the original version given the noticeable tide mark on the side of the bucket where the guard sat once I'd removed it.

A couple of points - one being that you are relying on the sediment to be small enough to go through the cone filters and two it's not very good if you use it in the shampoo bucket as I did with the previous guard so now I use the new one in the rinse bucket, old one in the shampoo bucket as I did previously.....safety first! :nerd:

Chris

Thanks Chris, that is certainly something to think about :)

Managed some detailing over the weekend - tested the CG grit guard in my detailing regime.

Nicely colour coded for 3BM....

BLUE for WASH

RED for RINSE

BLACK for WHEELS

...not cheap; so i was glad of the 10% discount code - that's for sure.

Overall fit in the bucket is good and upon checking after my .:R36 detail.... there was good evidence that they work well.

It would appear that they do exactly as designed and hold the larger debris in the base area, which cant get back to the wash mitt.

Two issues i found - annoying really, but not deal breakers.....

If you place the grit guard in the bucket and attempt to fill from empty..... the sprayback/bounce off the gritguard is phenomenal!

So then i took the guard out and filled the bucket first and put the grit guard in afterwards...... this was my next problem....

it didnt sink to the bottom instantly..... and i had to chase out air bubbles to have it sit correctly at the base.

The biggest benefit in my routine is in the wheel bucket... as my wheel brush tips used to get stuck in the traditional grit guard style.

With the CG grit guard, this is no longer an issue.... which is what i was hoping for :thumbup:

• Like 4