Reliable cheap auto under £5k?

gadgetman

2 hours ago, gadgetman said:

I like some of the Merc estates, but don't they suffer rusting? Or is that just the vans? 

Ours was a saloon.

Never noticed anything even minor beyond 275,000 miles worth of general wear and wifely abuse...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, V6TDI said:

If you don't need exciting, what about an Avensis?

Gaz

Colleagues daughter has one. They eat tyres for brekkie lunch and 2 sets for dinner..

Yaris / Auris from the Toyota stable?

Not very popular but well enough made. Should be fine now they've done all the recalls :D

10 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Colleagues daughter has one. They eat tyres for brekkie lunch and 2 sets for dinner..

Dad's had three and that's never been an issue for him.

Gaz

S60R?

I had a V70R which was a heck of a car, they're a bit out of your price range for a decent one but the S60's go for less:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-s60-r-saloon-/172350312903?hash=item2820e111c7:g:y4YAAOSw8gVX4xKz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Volvo-S60-2-5-R-4dr-/252741802621?hash=item3ad895da7d:g:n~8AAOSwdzVXjN4R - a bit over budget but in the best colour IMO, if it had Atcama and a year newer or manual It would be something I'd consider myself. The 5 speed geartronics are carp and only re-engineered them in the 06 and 07 models. 

Toyota plastics have a thin skin which is vulnerable to every scuff showing particularly around the foot level and in the lighter colour grey can be very ugly.

15 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Toyota plastics have a thin skin which is vulnerable to every scuff showing particularly around the foot level and in the lighter colour grey can be very ugly.

Wear slippers :tongueout:

.If it's reliable and under £5k maybe some scuffed trim can be acceptable.

Japanese parts and servicing can be expensive but I suppose everything is now.

Is the Starlet still a thing? Micra or Swift maybe. They're beloved by the nearly dead so there may be a few low miles autos around.

Not reading the spec for a bigger motor.

Jag S type? I drove an old one as a random courtesy car and despite being old hand having a bit of a reputation nothing was wrong with it and it drove lovely.

Assuming mileages are real, there are some mad things out there for not a lot of cash

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612230806710

Edited by Aspman

On 25/01/2017 at 20:23, matt1chelski said:

Lates 90s early 00s were when Merc had the majority of the issues, 2005 onwards I think things vastly improved, although the vans do seem to suffer more than the cars, I suspect thats mainly down to damage getting left without repair on the examples I spot. 

Guy I work with has a 54 plate E class, that despite not being my cup of tea (no Mercy is TBH) is VERY nice and immaculate (he is proper OCD and into his detailing) think he is only after £3.5K for it so is a lot of car for  the money.

8 hours ago, Aspman said:

.If it's reliable and under £5k maybe some scuffed trim can be acceptable.

Japanese parts and servicing can be expensive but I suppose everything is now.

Is the Starlet still a thing? Micra or Swift maybe. They're beloved by the nearly dead so there may be a few low miles autos around.

Not reading the spec for a bigger motor.

Jag S type? I drove an old one as a random courtesy car and despite being old hand having a bit of a reputation nothing was wrong with it and it drove lovely.

Assuming mileages are real, there are some mad things out there for not a lot of cash

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612230806710

If reliability is the priority then Japanese is a nobrainer.

Toyota's plastic trim is a minor matter but an example where black is probably better for hiding the scuff marks.

I suspect boring is the best put down the opposition can come up with.

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 17:23, Aspman said:

Yaris / Auris from the Toyota stable?

Not very popular but well enough made. Should be fine now they've done all the recalls :D

My mah is drivin an auris.

other than a blocked oil pick up one day (sorted by a garage pretty quick) its been bullte proof. Gear knob and hand brake positions are a tad unorthodox... swmbo didnt like it when she test drove as a potential swap for the citigo..