Installing my MP3 Kit today.

sms

Today i got the wires i needed from the local VW garage, i wrongly ordered so ended up with a spare wire, you will need 2x 000979010 and also from a hi fi shop a phono to 3.5mm jack lead. all this will cost you between £5-10

dsc00520re1.th.jpg

The Leads

Now start by taking off the radio facia, the top part of the facia is hard, but if you get a thin piece of plastic between the top of the radio and fascia you can push slightly up releasing the clips one by one.

Once the fasica is off take out the four covers on each corner of the stereo and then undo with a T15 tool the four screws. Carefully take off the connector block and aerial off the back of the stereo, you will now see this.

dsc00521nd3.th.jpg

Unplug the blue connector, then take out the black connector from within.

Cut the yellow VW leads in the middle so you now have four leads, one is your earth and the other two is your left and right channel. (i have a spare set of 3 wires left for ordering to much). push the wires in to hole 1,7,8 the outter two are you left and right whilst the next one in is your earth.

Cut off the phono plugs on your mp3 lead so you are left with a 3.5mm jack and about 1.5m of cable (basically to the length you want). Join the left and right earth together and solder this to the earth lead that you have put into the blue socket, repeat this for left and right onto the other two leads.

Once done put the bllack block back into the blue. tape the wires so they dont show any bare bits and fuse and tape to the wiriing loom so it is safe.

Take off your glove box, there is 6 screws, 3 inside (top left, cenrre and right) 2 at the bottom and one on the side (remove the cover like you have on the fuse box but on passenger side).

Carefully feed the wire from behind the stereo housing to the top of the glove box and then carefully between the handle for opening the glove box into the glove box.

No do all the screws back up and plug the blocks back into the stereo, screw stereo back in. Tip here is when you go to put the screws back in to stick a bit of card in the gap going towards the screw hole, this will stop you losing any screws if you drop them on the way back in again. Do all the screws up, put the plastic caps back on and then fascia, you now nearly done.

Go into audio settings and set up the aux in (turn on) do your levels etc here too. now press the cd button a few times and you will eventually end up on the aux in screen. from here you can play your mp3 player through the stereo saving you 145 of the £155 that VAG want for the mp3 player kit.

I know this subject for an MP3 lead pops up alot, i hope that this helps and saves you all money.:thumbup:

Edit:

Today whilst in maplins i managed to get a 3.5 coupler and a ipod to 3.5mm lead for around £14 the coupler joins the two 3.5mm leads together and sound quality is drastically improved (much louder), a theory i had on saturday morning and has worked. You could just buy the lead and cut off the 3.5mm end and wire that straight into the back of the aux in instead of having a 3.5mm lead coming out and have a ipod connector lead there instead.

edit 2:

The £14 lead and coupler can be bought on ebay for about £6 in total, have a spare set on order.

Edit 3:

by taking out the facia you can access the 5 buttons at the bottom, i have carefully prised out one of the buttons and drilled a 5 mm hole and put in a 3.5mm chasis socket which i bought off ebay for £2 the maplin one was too fat but NICKEL 3.5MM HIGH QUALITY STEREO CHASSIS SOCKET 2 on eBay (end time 11-Aug-09 00:18:00 BST) fitted snuggly.

After soldering the wires to the chasis i put the chasis through the button that ive drilled the hole in, it did need a needle file just to make it slightly looser to fit in. Once in i screwed the end in place, put the switch back in and then the facia back on, now i have a tidier set up.

There is a youtube video by someone else that might help

here is a picture on how it looks now, a ipod dock to 3.5mm lead as mentioned further up is what i use to connect to it, so when not in use there is less wires floating around and looks more professional for when you go to sell the car. Please excuse the dirty finger prints as i havent wiped it down since fitting it.

dnasp.jpg

Edited by smstext
update on another mod for the kit.

i knew i would miss stuff out, feel free to add. yes its a stream in a octy 2 the green block pictured on that block is for the carphone. its about 30mins from start to finish 1hr doodling through it and my first attempt (now i know what im doing i reckon 10-15 mins next time) ;)

Also feel free to sticky or copy it to stu's site as i was looking for something like tihs for a while, thus the write up as the mp3 question has popped up a few times in the past week.

• 4 weeks later...

OK- I'm trying the above but found a a black cable in pin 8 (think it's earth)...what should I do?

Tried it with existing cable on pin 8 but go a hi pitch noise and now bass when playing through aux. Attached new pin 8 cable from made up cable to outside of stereo to earth it and bass was back and sounded great - can't remember if the hi-pitch noise went at that point!

• 2 months later...

spent 2 hours looking 4 3.5 jack point which i havent got, so going to try your method. looks easy enough famous last words thou! did this affect your multiplay cd changer? cheers in advance:thumbup:

spent 2 hours looking 4 3.5 jack point which i havent got, so going to try your method. looks easy enough famous last words thou! did this affect your multiplay cd changer? cheers in advance:thumbup:

Still got issues with my left speaker - don't think I've made a good connection in the block!

CD Changer - mine still works - 3.5mm jack plug / lead are connected to aux so it's a separate connection.

Nope didnt affect cd changer at all, as the connections on the back are completely separate to cd changer. i still use cd changer as well (usually stuff i havent burnt to mp3 disc) and still use mp3 player to listen to podcasts.

Its all easy enough and shouldnt take long. it was certainly a million times easier than wiring in the bluetooth kit which vrstu told me would be easy!!

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to do this yesterday and it works great, though there are a few things I'd like to note here:

1) I didn't bother with a soldering iron - I know it gives a better connection etc. but I couldn't lay my hands on one easily - I just used a connecter block instead.

2) I don't think the hole numbers you quoted were right - I just went off the wiring diagram on the back of the unit.

3) The metal connectors on the yellow wires that push into the black connector housing didn't seem to quite fit properly - I had to really push them in and the blue connector housing didn't want to receive the black one back in - I had to really force this.

4) I routed the 3.5 mm wire down into the ash tray holder at the bottom of the centre console - I've dispensed with the ash tray as it's a waste of space and the wire emerges from the back of the holder. To do this I had to take the holder out (2 torx screws - you get to these by unclipping the gear lever skirt first).

Next job is to get a holder for an ipod that will fit to the side of the console, this combination should work:

Mounting Bracket

iPod Cradle

Ady

• 1 month later...

I cannot enable aux by pressing CD. It only gives me NO CDC (No CD changer, that's right), next press switches back to normal CD. Looks like my stream is not enabled for auxillary input?

I have enabled AUX in my menu settings of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mistraller, did you finally get the aux to work?? When was your Octy registered?

I've got a October 05 Octy with a Stream radio, the Aux settings are available as the Headunits mentioned above. Before I jump into this Project I want to make sure it is going to work once complete? Anyone else done this to an Octy from around October 05??

Hey mistraller, did you finally get the aux to work?? When was your Octy registered?

I've got a October 05 Octy with a Stream radio, the Aux settings are available as the Headunits mentioned above. Before I jump into this Project I want to make sure it is going to work once complete? Anyone else done this to an Octy from around October 05??

Hee,

Ive octavia from may 2006, i just instald a aux connector (they instaled it at the deaer site, origional part kabel) but I didnt have the time to test it.

I just managed to check it, and gues... i didn't work.

(I already screwd out the stream to check the wiring, it seems to be okay)

And checked out differend kinds of configurations, it stil didn't work out

does anayone has some idea...................

My car is produced may 2006, stream was built in later, for tax reasons here in Holland.

My aux SETTINGS are available, but enable it by pressing twice on the cd button is not working. Even when supplying a signal on AUX-in will not enable it.

It looks like the aux will only enabled when there is an CD Changer present. I don't have one. There's some information on K9spud Microcontroller Electronics on how to create a CDC emulator. No time for diving into that project. So I'm still burning CD's to listen my favorites... :(

My car is produced may 2006, stream was built in later, for tax reasons here in Holland.

My aux SETTINGS are available, but enable it by pressing twice on the cd button is not working. Even when supplying a signal on AUX-in will not enable it.

It looks like the aux will only enabled when there is an CD Changer present. I don't have one. There's some information on K9spud Microcontroller Electronics on how to create a CDC emulator. No time for diving into that project. So I'm still burning CD's to listen my favorites... :(

Are your sure about this thing, about a cd-changer is necessery??? (to use the aux input)?

:confused:

Are you certain that is nessesary to instal a CDC to use the aux input???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are you certain that is nessesary to instal a CDC to use the aux input???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well, there was no possibility to get any signal which I provided to my stream. On the dutch skoda forum this was also discussed.

You can see my stream (and the back of it) on the dutch forum, where I wrote a HOWTO to build in a Parrot Carkit.

Parrot CK3000 inbouw in O2 - Skodaforum.nl

Try to get your stream into aux-in, it won't let you, because it's the same button as CDC button, and it simply shows NO CDC. So the only way is to simulate a CDC with an exensive device like the Solisto (the easy way), or do it yourself as written on VWCDPIC Audio Interface Adapter (the hard way)

• 1 month later...

I know i'm not helping anyone on this one but I have a CDC and just wanted to add the AUX in connector,

I am trying to find the right pins (or rather sockets to put into the connector housing, I bought for a few pence the ones from maplin (YW25C 0.1in Skt Terminals) Maplin > YW25C but these are not right and are more pins than the sockets that are in use already and are too tight for the HU ( will break pins:( ).. any idears I would be very greatful..

Thanks

F.

• 3 weeks later...
I know i'm not helping anyone on this one but I have a CDC and just wanted to add the AUX in connector,

I am trying to find the right pins (or rather sockets to put into the connector housing, I bought for a few pence the ones from maplin (YW25C 0.1in Skt Terminals) Maplin > YW25C but these are not right and are more pins than the sockets that are in use already and are too tight for the HU ( will break pins:( ).. any idears I would be very greatful..

Thanks

F.

You need to click new wires directly into blue carrier1 on in quadlock on back of radio.

The blue carrier1 clips out and you slide the retainer out of carrier. Then clip in new VW/Skoda pre terminalled wires. Reassemble by sliding retainer back into carrier1 then back into quadlock.

Check out VRStu's site:

Octavia-vRS.com - MFD2 Install Guide