MFSW retrofit

I have finally sourced a three spoke MFSW, controller and loom from Spaced99 on here and intend to start the retrofit this weekend.

Having done some research, I am fairly confident in removing the air bag and steering wheel but not so happy with the controller, not knowing where it is or what needs removing to get to it!

Has anyone done this retrofit before and have a step by step guide or know where to find one? One with photos would be even better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a black box that hangs under the steering column under the plastic covers.

Remove two screws at the front by the steering wheel. Two on the column adjuster handle to remove the cover / grip.

You'll need to poke a long thin (less than 2mm) metal thing into a hole on the front to release a clip there then another clip towards the rear.

These are a pain, but look at the new controller to see how these operate.

Three connectors to remove and you are there.

Have a look on the Golf forums (e.g. 'My Gti') as there are photos on there IIRC. Use Google to search for best effect.

Thanks KB, I am probably going to do this on Monday and I have had a look at mygti and have found a guide with pictures which helps!

Hope you're still enjoying the yeti?

If you need a new bolt I have an unused one you can have. I'm not sure but I think they should be replaced if the wheel is taken out (or it may be they can be reused just a couple of times, not entirely sure).

Adam

Once again when I need some help, up pops Karl and Adam! Thanks gents.

Karl, I will drop you a pm as your closer to me than Adam, but I do appreciate both of your offers!

Thanks again gents!

Once you've fitted it should work as it still has the coding when fitted to mine. It will show and error in VCDS when you scan the car as you've still got the controls on the wiper stalk. 

If you need any VCDS help let me know.

Once you've fitted it should work as it still has the coding when fitted to mine. It will show and error in VCDS when you scan the car as you've still got the controls on the wiper stalk.

If you need any VCDS help let me know.

Thanks Andy, I have only just seen your in Notts, had I realised, I probably would have popped over to collect in the first place!

I have also seen the reason why you are selling your parts now too, hope you were OK?

Thanks for your offer of help too.

• 2 weeks later...

MFSW fitted in just over an hour this afternoon thanks to some sound advice on here and from the watercooled link above.

f6365d889c9511d259bdb2657799ccf4.jpg

28850c78b7d9f90347be8b8ecbd89881.jpg

As predicted, as it was already coded to spaced99's car, the audio controls on the left work fine. I will need it coded however as the controls on the right do not work along with the controls on the stork. Hopefully it will be relatively easy to code in the right side of the MFSW and code out the stork.

Thanks again gents!

• Like 3

That's nice. Let's try the coding tomorrow.

I'd like to put a 3-spoke in my Yeti to replace the 4-spoke MFSW but just can't justify it at present.

That's nice. Let's try the coding tomorrow.

I'd like to put a 3-spoke in my Yeti to replace the 4-spoke MFSW but just can't justify it at present.

Karl, believe it or not, it was the only thing I have not learned to live without when I bought this car (edit: and the dsg gear box, bloody hell do I miss that!!)

Yes I loved the leather, sunroof, phone and maxidot but learned to live without it, MFSW not so!

I replied to your pm around coding, in short great but if your pushed for time I can come over to yours at your convenience or pop along to the Hereford meet?

nice to see it in a new home

Thanks Andy, it sure looks good and will be even better when fully coded! As soon as its all fully working I will be sure to leave you some positive feedback in the scallies and saints section!

MFSW fitted in just over an hour this afternoon thanks to some sound advice on here and from the watercooled link above.

f6365d889c9511d259bdb2657799ccf4.jpg

28850c78b7d9f90347be8b8ecbd89881.jpg

As predicted, as it was already coded to spaced99's car, the audio controls on the left work fine. I will need it coded however as the controls on the right do not work along with the controls on the stork. Hopefully it will be relatively easy to code in the right side of the MFSW and code out the stork.

Thanks again gents!

One thing I have just learnt today from Eddie-NL is that if you code out the wiper stalk switches lock and then unlock the doors so it takes effect.

• Like 1

to the buyer of the wheel

You won't get fully functioning right side buttons with your current non maxidot cluster, regardless of coding

Eddie, I automatically presumed that if coded correctly, the buttons on the right side would control the non maxidot display. Quite clearly this is not the case. With coding, am I likely to get any control of the non maxidot display or should I give up any hope now?

I had learned to live without maxidot however this changes things a little. The main issue I have is finding a maxidot cluster for a FL petrol, they are rarer than rare, do you have any ideas as to where I could find one?

The steering wheel looks really good, wish I could retrofit one of these to my pre-fl.

IIRC Eddie also retrofitted this steering wheel to his mk2 fl but to get the buttons working he had to replace them with the one from mk2 superb as they have their own logic, different from the one currently in your mfsw. But maybe I remember wrong so wait for Eddie to confirm.

• Like 1

I did retrofit this type of wheel to mine, but i had a maxidot. later i decided to try a mk3 mfsw and that was the one where i had to change the buttons to a superb fl

Thanks Eddie, KBPhoto as kindly offered to code on 16th April, it would be a shame if they don't work but not the end of the world as I really wanted it for the audio controls and these work!

I would be very grateful if you know of anywhere I could source a petrol FL cluster though!

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, popped in to see KBPhoto today and as predicted by Eddie-NL, the buttons on the right side of the mfsw cannot be coded in. KB coded the right stork back in so I have full functionality of the trip computer again but only have a half functioning mfsw.

The hunt for a petrol maxidot cluster begins tomorrow!

• Like 1

There's a thread on here from someone else after one and the last post just said to PM him. Perhaps he has one or can get one.

Have a look in the 'Wanted' section.