Everything posted by Gabbo
-
2019 2.0tdi 150 dsg fumes
Did you take off the engine cover & check around the injectors?
-
Superb Mk4
I guess the idea is that each driver can set the default function they use the most. On my car today, start/stop, fan speed, screen heating, map zoom would all be redundant as everything is set to auto. Probably the only button is want is the "max" blower setting for demisting. But every user will want different things & removing one button access to driving functions is a always a strange decision for me. Early Tesla windscreen wipers were the perfect example of this. Having worked in the industry, I understand the desire to remove buttons because every dollar you can remove saves millions a year. However, I can't see that this smart display would actually be cheaper than 10 buttons and a roller dial. Personally, I would rather save 5$ on some sound deadening, materials in the rear, boot etc than lose a couple of buttons up front. However, im interested to see how the interface with the smart dials will work, as if is done well it might not but so terrible to use.
-
Superb Mk4
Aero wheels seem all the rage these days, led by the electric revolution. There's already several models from Skoda available. https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/30_new_skoda_kodiaq/ I'm sure they'll be other options although I agree the Passat isn't the most attractive especially sporting the Rline badge.
-
Superb Mk4
Isn't the mk4 superb & mk9 Passat narrower than the previous generation?
-
Superb Mk4
I'm happy they've kept the climate controls & physical buttons. Asside from the tan colour from these media images I think the interior looks pretty good.
-
Superb Mk4
It was the touch sensitive volume control that put me off the mk4 Octavia and into the Superb mk3
-
Current Factory Delivery Times
I contacted my dealer at the weekend to see if there was any news. So far after 8 weeks there's no sign of a VIN number or preliminary build date... He said he has no further information from Skoda on delivery times since I ordered. He is saying 4x4 DSG system is causing the delay of 20-24 weeks... Eeek
-
Battery problem again
How did you charge the battery after it was flat (on Sunday and Friday)? Just a jump start & then driving or did you charge it with a battery charger? If you managed to make it back from Germany after just a jump start your alternator should be working fairly well. What are the symptoms you see when you say the battery is flat? No power at all, too low to start the engine (lights flashing on the dash, "low battery" message etc), cranking but not starting?
-
How to go about buying a new Superb?
I was also thinking DragonSkin wouldn't have been the best choice for a quick delivery. My colleague ordered the standard grey..
-
Air quality sensor replacement
Is the sensor really that expensive if you buy the original part?
-
How to go about buying a new Superb?
I was also quoted 20 weeks for mine (ordered 2 months ago). A colleague of mine order a Superb 280 Sportline in May and it was delivered in just over 12 weeks so fingers crossed the wait is not as long as the dealers state.
-
Resetting Inspection Due - 2021 Superb
In the service menu on the infotainment it should give both time & mileage to next service information for Oil Change & Inspection. (They are separate timers) If the Time to next Service or Inspection are different then you are on most likely on a "variable service interval" as toot suggested.
-
vRS TDI Front Brake Disc Measurements (Nominal & Minimum Thickness)
Thanks everyone. My car has the larger 340mm disks. My car has been serviced according to the recommended schedule at the Skoda main dealer since new so I've no reason to believe the disks should be out of spec. However, at the last service, I changed the rear disks/pads because the were heavily corroded on the recommended of the garage. During the technical checks, they recognised the front disks were not new compared with the rears. When requested, the owner must provide a technical documentation, signed by a Swiss registered mechanic who attests that the part in question conforms to the manufacturers minimum requirements & are safe to use. I guess it is a way control the garages as well as the cars perhaps. Anyway, the garage will measure them tomorrow & I hope give them all clear. Gabbo CH
-
vRS TDI Front Brake Disc Measurements (Nominal & Minimum Thickness)
Does anyone know the vRS TDi 184PS brake disk measurements ? Thickness of a new part Minimum allowed thickness from Skoda before changing? I had my 10 year "MOT" in Switzerland yesterday & it passed without any issues. There is only one point that they said the front brake disks are quite worn & I must "prove" that the thickness is above the minimum recommended by Skoda. This I knew already but I was waiting to change them next year as from my point of view the braking is still strong & smooth (which the test also showed) and there is plenty of meat left on the pads. Basically I need a "recognised garage" in Switzerland to measure the disks & sign a paper to say they are above the minimum value & safe to use. I would just like have an idea of the minimum values myself before I visit my regular garage tomorrow just to make sure they don't take me for a ride & ask me to change them. Thanks in advance! Gabbo CH
-
Tailgate gas struts - lubricate or replace?
I replaced mine this afternoon & it was simple & straight forward. I ordered the Stabilus part ( from amazon for €13 each) as they are the OEM part. Easy to fit alone if you do them one by one. The struts can be removed easily using a flat blade screwdriver to pull-back the spring clips & then pull off without any resistance. You can hold the boot lid with one hand & fit the new strut easily. You don't need to open the clips on the new part. Just position it in the right place & apply light pressure. It will click into place without much force. The "whooooosh" is back now when you open the tailgate. Very happy for such a small price.
-
VRS TDI oil confusion!
My TDI consumes ~ 0.75L per 20k km. I do around 30-35k a year & usually have the low oil warning once between the normal service intervals. 1L in 5k would seem excessive but perhaps the first reading was not really full? In the past, I've had one similar situation to this where I drove 2.5k km over 3 days on a summer road trip when it was fairly new. The outside temperature was hot (~35°) & the car spent the whole day on the highway at 120-130kph. I had not checked the oil level before the trip but it was only a few weeks after the service so "should" have been full. After topping up, I had no further problems afterwards. I cannot say whether it really consumed a lot of oil or if it wasnt completely fully after the service. I always check now, before I drive away from the garage that the dipstick is at the top & the oil is clean rather than sooty.
-
Traffic Sign Recognition System Prblem
The location says Turkey (the european MIB map pack includes turkey): Available from the update portal here (28Gb download): https://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P330_EU_202322.zip
-
Leaking engine oil...thoughts
This seems to give a huge loophole in the "used approved" status - only the last owner.?? You can take any car, register it to the someone, service at an approved garage & gain "used approved" status despite never servicing it in the last x years..
-
Cambelt Replacement
I had the waterpump changed by Skoda because of the known component problem & asked for the belt at the same time. At the time they told me it was done but now 120k km later they are telling me there is no record of the belt change in the "online records". I'm a bit peevd at beeing asked to pay 500€ to change the belt now & will probably change the water pump again for the same reason.
-
Leaking engine oil...thoughts
If it is "Skoda approved used", shouldnt any open TSBs against the car be applied before it could be sold with this status?
-
Cambelt Replacement
As you need to remove the belt anyway to replace the water pump, it should only be the price of the part extra? Probably worth getting it done now rather than an expensive belt change later?
-
VRS TDI oil confusion!
I have a 2014 vRS TDi and the dipstick min line to max is around 1L I think. My low oil warning usually triggers about when it reaches the min line on the dipstick. Meaning there should still be ~ 4L of oil still in the engine when the warning triggers. If I add between 0.75L it will move it close to the max line. Im always careful not to overfill but I guess it would take closer to a litre I find the dipstick on the VW engines hard to read & often require 2 or 3 wipe/dip/read before I'm confident of the reading. The correct oil should have a list of compatible OEM part numbers written on the label (e.g. VW507 00 VAG, Renault Xx xxx, Peugeot Yy yyy etc) As suggested by toot, you need the VW507 spec oil for the TDI.
-
Missing Software
Are you sure it's not just a broken button? It's quite unlikely that a Skoda garage or Halfords would change the configuration of your car during a normal service. Is there no way to access the driving mode menu through the infotainment?
-
Missing Software
If you give some more information about the previous thread from ApertureS & your car details you are more likely to get a reply. Had it always been like this, has it occurred recently etc
-
Dreaded water pump , thermostat housing leak. Goodwill refused at the main dealer. Should I go to Skoda UK?
In the end it can't hurt to try, I would give them the details & that it was bought from a main skoda dealer, services directly at a main skoda dealer. A small contribution from them won't break the bank & would make a big difference to your satisfaction with the brand & likelihood to buy Czech again in the future