Skip to content

Gabbo

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gabbo

  1. My Sportline also came with drivers umbrella, ice scraper & paper manuals book. I was disappointed not to get the leatherette wallet like my Octavia as it's great to hold the registration & insurance documents in the glove box so they don't get dirty or damaged from other items in the glove box. My navigation works the way you describe but it's normal here in Switzerland to have the number at the end of the street. The favourites seem to work fine though with the correct address. There was the same 10 years ago with not accepting UK postcodes on the MIB1. I'd have thought that would be fixed by now..
  2. Most of the time is taken up showing how he removes the indicator bulb cap/plastic. Its the first time he's tried so there's several minutes of screwdriver, knife, soldering iron to melt the plastic before he achieved it & then he talks about how he would do it again if he needed to. The rest of the video is actually very informative for the other lamps, how they are dismounted, the type, how to fit them back again.
  3. yeah crazy isnt it.... I'd hope they changed that on the facelift & later versions.....
  4. Error popped again today & on inspection the left side light was actually not working this time. Popped it out (see the awesome video recommended by TeebsVRS) & the filament is gone. I was actually surprised that they seem to be the "ice white" bulbs that are fitted (I wouldnt say the side lights were particularly white). But a particularly easy fix, thanks to this awesome site as usual
  5. I can confirm at least for the Octavia 2L TDI, mine has just had the timing belt replaced (recommended by the dealer at 200k km) at 215k. It is bloody expensive to change it here... so I wouldn't want to change it earlier than it was needed.
  6. Its good to have something a bit different. Far too many white, black and grey cars around... And it'll make it easier to find in the supermarket carpark..
  7. I have a similar impression that the lane assist is quite passive until you reach the extreme, although its my first experience of Skoda lane assist. For me this is a good thing & I really like how it is implemented. When I am driving you feel nothing from the system until you drift next to the line where you have first a vibration before the assist tries to steer you away from the line. When in ACC and you relax a bit more, it is good at maintaining the lane without feeling like you are jerking left and right. My previous experience was in Volvo & Mercedes where both systems were extremely tiring to use especially for long journeys because they were very aggressive and always strongly intervening even if you were well within the limits. In a recent 3h trip in the Skoda, I barely noticed the lane assist was active which for me is exactly what I expect of an assistance system.
  8. This seems excessive to me especially given the age. I have a 2014 TDi vRS, it's done 230k km in the last 10 years. I've had 2 issues, one was a build/part issue at almost new (boost pressure sensor replaced). The other was the common water pump problem which Skoda paid 60% of even or of warranty at 100k km. Otherwise is been great following only the standard maintenance schedule. I would be asking your dealer for another year extended warranty until they can fix all the issues or some kind of good will payment because of the problems, e.g. Free servicing
  9. Scandinavia markets can have larger batteries but I'm not sure if this is typical for VAG. It is usual to have plug-in block heaters or fuel fired heaters in very cold countries also. However, I think you'll be surprised at the capability of the battery to start the engine at cold temperatures especially petrol with spark plugs. Many years ago I used to spend my winters in Finland testing diesel starting at cold temperatures & we didn't fit special batteries for the tests.
  10. On our last Volvo the missus smash the front light module on a metal box attached to a wall. Fairly innocuous & just some broken plastic we thought at first... Dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree with communication errors for various modules (door module, infotainment, indicators didn't work). 2800chf later (paid by her company insurance) & a 2 week wait for the part, it was fixed... 2500 was the piece price and around 300 for the Labour to fit it and program/learn the new light. (Eek)
  11. Thanks, just tried this on the way home and it's great. I was wondering how to activate it. On the Mercedes "auto" lights meant also auto matrix full beam on higher speed roads & highways, you didn't need to enable something extra bit this is perhaps more controllable. The engine starts pretty fast without any real delay, but I'm used to my manual Octavia where I could press the button, press the clutch a second or so later whilst selecting reverse directly & it would still auto start. I need to get out of the habit to press the button and then shift quickly to D. It will come.
  12. I have noticed the same on my car. If you have the flappy paddle shifters you can just press the down shift paddle once & it will engage the gear again without moving into "manual" mode. If you have no accelerator pedal input, the engine is not using any fuel if the gear is engaged so this is always better than coasting in my opinion & engine braking can prevent unnecessary braking which has a knock on effect on traffic flow of you drive in a way to anticipate the traffic ahead. Whether coasting versus engine braking really gives a fuel economy benefit will obviously depend on the road conditions or gradient. However as all automatic gearboxes I have driven recently seem to do this (Volvo, Mercedes, Skoda) there must be some logic/science behind it.
  13. I haven't tried this yet. Do you have to activate the full beam manually? I'm still trying to get used to waiting for the engine to start before moving the shifter out of park. Twice a day I abort the staying by shifting too early as I would on my manual.
  14. Can confirm "Speed Limit Preview" disables the ACC speed changes based on traffic signs. It's a shame this doesn't work well because the idea is good, it's just not good enough to detect all signs correctly. Would also perhaps be better if you could configure a delay before the speed change so you have chance to react to the warning before it starts braking on the highway...
  15. The Skoda official rims are actually very nice, I'd happily have most of them as my summer or winter wheels. It's just a shame the prices are so inflated. If they'd reduce them by >50% they'd sell a lot more...
  16. Ah great I'll try it this morning. It's not very well named in the menu, "Automatic Roadsign Speed Adjustment" would be better.
  17. I bought the VW set for 21" wheels in the end, for £36 also from Amazon. I already have the Skoda bags for my Octavia & I agree, knowing where the wheel came from & the nice pouch for the caps or bolts plus the carry handle is very useful. The different colour will be good to identify the wheels although I think I'll probably build a wooden storage rack for them this winter now I've got two sets to store.
  18. This would have been my first assumption too, bad battery ( or perhaps alternator struggling under load). when you first start do you have lots of other message like "xxx unavailable", "cruise control unavailable", "HIL Assist unavailable" ? An easy way to tell the battery performance is if "StopStart" is constantly unavailable & in the StopStart menu you will see "High Power Consumption". On my Octavia, this was the first sign the battery was going, lots of "unavailable" messages when starting, cranking speed seemed ok but starting took many revolutions & no StopStart without driving for more than an hour or so.
  19. I was looking yesterday in my car to be able to disable the automatic cruise control speed adjustment but I couldn't find anything in the "Assistance Systems", "All Assistance Systems" or "dynamic road sign recognition" menus. This system is a nice idea, but without serious improvements it cannot differentiate between signs on the off-ramps, adjacent roads & due to its reliance on map data (which is years behind reality) it can sometimes set a speed which is actually above the real limit. Do I have to disabled Road Sign recognition to deactivate the cruise control speed adjustment ?? Id like to keep the speed sign recognition & warning displays in the navigation & virtual cockpit but without it changing my cruise control speed automatically.
  20. I've seen the big difference in price for these & am always worried about getting an inferior product especially as I am changing the wheels myself. However, for the last 10 years, I've been driving the Octavia winter wheels with the bolts provided from the tyre website I bought them (included for free with the order) which I guess are a similar no brand set & have also had no issues. Thanks for the advice 👍
  21. I've found a set of 21" VW bags: 36Gbp Volkswagen, 000073900E, Tyre Bag Set, Complete Wheels, (up to 21 Inches), Bag Tyre Rim : Amazon.de: Automotive
  22. Does anyone have any recommendations for tyre bags that will fit the Superb 19" wheels (>2106mm)? The standard Skoda the bags are up to 18" and when I tried them on my car they are minimum 10cm too small in the circumference. I got a cheap set of Audi bags but they are too large and the Velcro fastening doesn't align... Does Skoda offer a larger Tyre bag other than 000073900B? Or a VW alternative perhaps?
  23. It's a few years since I bought tyres for my Octavia 18" summers & 17" winters but I was a bit surprised that price of the size for the superb. They were higher than I expected. I considered 18" winters for the superb until I saw the price of the tyres. Switzerland is funny sometimes with price. Despite typically being very high, often certain things (e.g. Electronics/tvs) are much cheaper than Europe. Perhaps some things have reduced VAT but I'm not really sure of the reason.
  24. I got them as "complete" set from Reifen.ch (formerly pneuexperte.ch) The Borbet V was 120chf & the Conti TS870 P 98V was 159chf. With the mounting, balancing & shipping the total was 1190chf. I used to work for Conti (not in the tyre group) so have always had an affiliation to them. However similar "premium" branded tyres from the same site were the same price give or take. You can probably find them cheaper as I didn't look at any sites that didn't off the Borbet or Dezent wheel that I wanted.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.