Skip to content

Gerrycan

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gerrycan

  1. So 70mph would be 2100 rpm (give or take) which is substantially lower than my 1.4tsi calculated 2700 rpm and the reason for the mk4 requirement for more gear changes. My 6th may well be closer to your 4th gear in gearing. Both engines produce the same 250Nm of torque. A few years back in the UK I had a hire Kia C'eed manual diesel. Fairly average car but it was economical and was delighted to get 60 mpg on tank, however it had very long gearing and the display was always suggesting a lower gear than the engine felt comfortable with. The instantaneous consumption display was a fairly useless bar graph that only showed under 30 mpg. Once I had worked out that the recommendations were wrong and that I could not use 6th below 60 mph, 5th below 50mph, 4th/40mph and so on, my calculated refill consumption improved to 70mpg. It was then a nicer drive and actually able to accelerate more easily. This required more active use of the gearbox was not a biggie, I got a bit more fun AND better consumption.
  2. Interesting, I honestly cannot remember anything being written about the 1.8tsi in manual versions. Never read any really notable consumption reports from manual or auto versions either, so I sort of discounted it because of that. While I think my 1.4tsi is very tractable it is possibly quite low geared compared to the 1.5tsi. As near as I can tell I'm doing about 2700rpm at 70mph in 6th gear, allowing for the known inaccuracy of the speedo and unknown tachometer accuracy.
  3. Not everyone will agree with my personal opinion that the smaller capacity tsi engines have for many years offered a better balance of power/economy than the larger 1.8 and 2.0tsi engines, as I have never needed to use the full potential of my 1.4tsi on the road. The mk4 Octavia has class leading aerodynamics and the 1.5tsi with variable geometry turbo and cylinder deactivation is one of the most sophisticated (complicated?) production ICE engines so no real surprise with the excellent figures quoted especially on a longer (UK summer trips). I believe the cylinder deactivation activates over 1500 rpm and under 30% available torque in Eco, which would be 90+% of my driving. Do the 1.5tsi owners notice the difference? The quoted figures are measurably better than I could probably achieve in similar circumstances with my 2014 manual 1.4tsi but not enough to justify the expense of upgrading even if it was available in Australia. Our Mk4 Octavia is limited to 1.4tsi with 8 speed Aisin torque converter box below the 2.0tsi options, no manual version at all 😞 . I prefer manuals, not that you have to change gears much at all on the open road due to the oodles of low down turbo torque and the relatively light body. Out of curiosity does anyone know if the 2.0tsi 'Budack' cycle engine is still in the Skoda range and if it actually was more efficient and whether there is a 2.0tsi with cylinder deactivation?
  4. What size engine and transmission type?
  5. MPG

    Gerrycan replied to Expatman's topic in Skoda Yeti
    Our local 95 Octane does not yet have ethanol added and so when I tried a few tanks of local 98 octane in the 1.4tsi I could not identify any performance or economy improvements. I did it because the dealers recommended I try 98 to address a cold start jerkiness experienced for the first 100m (1st gear to road) after a cold start, made no difference to that either. The UK Corsa hire was fed E10 95 Octane and apart from feeling gutless at lower revs (compared to small capacity turbo) I was more than happy with the near diesel like consumption. I agree with @Prezafab's assessment about the effects of more careful driving on petrol and diesel consumption returns. The Yeti is a wonderful little Tardis and I have no idea what to suggest as a replacement.
  6. MPG

    Gerrycan replied to Expatman's topic in Skoda Yeti
    @Expatman 's figures are interesting. A best at near 50 mpg is good but not great, but relative to that his overall average at over 44 mpg is comparatively outstanding. A lot factors involved in the overall figure, good economical driving technique, most journeys a sufficient distance for the engine to warm up and without excessive speed. The Yeti's Achilles heel of poor aerodynamics reveals itself on the longer faster run although that can be mitigated by the 'normal' close proximity driving (imo) on busy British motorways. I can understand his enthusiasm for the Yeti's overall versatility but I also think he would get even better figures with a more modern engine vehicle (Karoq?) or a Toyota hybrid. Many drivers are not very good at driving economically, or as I call it 'sensibly' and I think this was demonstrated when I hired a 1.2 litre NA Corsa in the UK. The long term consumption for 8000 miles averaged low twenties but I was getting sixties on a tank and I was stunned on a cross London journey in peak to average 50 mpg (the display seemed accurate to refill calculations). Conversely, a recent interstate holiday trip in Aus in our 1.4tsi Octavia returned about 50 mpg. I was a little disappointed by that but the roads on our route were empty, speeds were high because of the distance to cover, there were strong head and cross-winds (both directions 😞 ) and it was cold (our winter). Normally I'd hope for high 50s. I do not keep a record these days but when I filled up the car last night I calculated the average at 6.4L/100 (44 mpg). Wife does most of the driving commuting 13 km to work across town. 95 Octane was A$1.75 a litre which converts to 92 pence which is at the low end of our price cycle and why I filled up.
  7. Petrol or diesel? Manual or DSG auto?
  8. Considering the millions of our 1.2/1.4tsi engines installed for nearly 10 years across all marques you would think we would have heard if there were issues? There would be a substantial cohort who either chose not to or could not afford changing the belt when recommended. I am not going to be particularly concerned if it is not done this year, and my dealer seemed to be equally sanguine about my decision when he broached the subject at 7 years and said I was not the only one deciding to defer.
  9. The date is a mystery but 'seem light years away' would be an understatement as I never was, and am still not, the forward planning type. The important things in life have worked out so far though so I'm not sure I would change much even if I could go back.
  10. Mine expires when I am 70 as well but that does raise an interesting question about the issue date as I had a motor bike license when I was 16 and passed the car driving test on the second attempt when 17 (I think), but I have no recollection what happened for the 'valid from' date to be from when I was 22. My South Australian driving license covers me for the UK as well so I won't be undertaking any UK retests on my occasional visits as @toot has indicated, not that the concept is a bad idea though. Each Australian state has its own rules and systems and our local government is putting through laws for a special driving license for high power cars after the tragic death of a young female pedestrian after an (experienced) Lambo driver lost control at urban low speed due to the safety control devices were turned off. I fail to understand why such high power vehicles, whether ICE or EV, are allowed on public roads anyway. Thinking about it I will have to check whether I need an international driving license for Europe though.
  11. The topic prompted me to find my UK car driving license which was issued in 1976 for the princely sum of five pounds. The stated expiry date is January 2024. Original green print, no picture version and still in the same intact plastic 'wallet'. At the time the expiry date seemed so impossibly far away.....but here we are and now so close. I can assure you that the power of my early cars were unlikely to break any highway speed limits although the narrow crossply tyres fitted could easily lose adhesion under almost any conditions other than bone dry.
  12. Dunno, but our 2003 Toyota Echo is at 205k km and on the original timing chain with no rattles, also on the original auxiliary belt drives although these are looking a little old Nearly bit the bullet a couple of years back to get a manual 1.5tsi Scala at what was a really good drive away price then but could not get a test drive of a manual version (during the Covid troubles). Our Octavia was and still drives like new and meets every demand we make of it but is old enough not to care to much about scratches or risking a bad road or even a drive along a beach. I will start getting local quotes from independents this year I think, but then again I said that last year.
  13. For what it is worth, my personal experiment for non replacement of our 2014 1.4tsi 96k km is continuing uneventfully. Australia can be quite dusty especially the dirt roads in summer, and it has travelled on a few of them.
  14. 79.7% of Briskoda posts from members changing their wheel/tyre combinations to larger sizes do it because they like the look. 81.3% of professional car reviewers say that the higher spec larger wheeled versions of a particular model ride worse than the cheaper smaller wheeled version. 87.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  15. What was the condition of the old plugs like?
  16. Any idea how much that lot will set you back with the "doctor's" labour included? I notice that the parts for even non electric bikes seem to have gone through the roof since pre-covid days.
  17. Both the better performing Type R and vRS had appropriate engineering of transmission, brakes, suspension and tyres (etc) to better control the application of the available power. I consider the Fabia as better than basic transport, and the fact that you can get near 50% improved performance for a relatively small price is remarkably appealing but I'm not sure it is a good starting point from a safety aspect?
  18. You have got that 'posterior about face' . VRS 2.0tsi/2.0tdi uses more fuel than the 1.5tsi so gets the bigger tank, AWD models use even more fuel so need the even bigger tank. That is for full ICE and won't be any different in Ireland.
  19. A few years since I had a diesel Octavia, which was a 1.9pd, but I think I remember it had a similar feature to my existing 1.4tsi Octavia When I unlock the car and open the driver's door I will hear the sound of what I think is the fuel pump priming itself for nearly 2 seconds. Does yours do this? IF not then the action of turning on the ignition twice might be replacing the 'missing' priming pump. If you do hear the pump sound opening the door then I've got nothing else to offer. When reporting a problem it is useful for others if you give as much detail as possible eg, year of car, mileage, when did the problem start occurring, was there any coincident event such as changing the fuel filter or a regular service, do you do your own servicing or use an independant specialist mechanic or dealer, have you raised the problem with a dealer if still in warranty and their response, what's your long drive distance, what's your short drive distance etc etc.
  20. A good version of either 1.6d or 2.0d can give you excellent fuel consumption on a long run, but years of reading owner reports on Briskoda suggests that there can be quite large variations between individual vehicles consumption, even allowing for different driver habits and driving environments. A good test drive with a keen eye on consumption results should enable you to avoid a lemon of either variety.
  21. The new smart watch is great for recording runs my now infrequent runs but I am getting a bit fed up with all the over-congratulatory and encouraging messages I'm getting for the paces I routinely do at work. Actually like most watch based systems it does not record paces when the wrist is stabilised such as when pushing a trolley or work flatbed. Not been able to turn them off yet despite disabling heaps of notification stuff in the setup app. Might just cancel my 6 months free Premium Fitbit membership and see if that makes a difference? I think the Premium (A$113 pa after free membership expires) membership is probably useful if you have to achieve weight goals for your health but I'm lucky not to have that problem so it is not really going to be a loss.
  22. As @GordoGT said it is the NO2 emissions that is the big problem for diesels. NO2 is three hundred times worse than CO2 for global warming effects. However, diesels fitted with AdBlue injection systems, targeting NO2 emissions, can actually have lower NO2 outputs than some direct injection petrol engines. Politicians don't want to hear that though
  23. The Octavia mk3s with the small turbo engines are relatively light for their size and my 1.4tsi wagon definitely feels a cross wind more than my old mk2, with the heavier 1.9pd engine up front, ever did. However, while I agree that the steering is very light about centre I find it is also very sensitive to any steering wheel movements and very accurate so I don't so much as steer as 'think' it (minimal wheel movements) in the direction I want, on straights or on long bends. We recently completed a long trip, principally on pretty average, undivided, single lane in each direction, roads at 100kph(ish) speeds and it was interesting to note that my wife made more and larger continual steering corrections than I do when driving. I think this is the reason she finds long distance driving more taxing than I do. I find that while the car readily feels the effects of cross winds and the slipstream of large trucks from the other direction if I resist the temptation to move the steering to 'counter' the wind effect it still steers accurately because I find the mk3 (and mk2 before it) has little or no slack in the steering. Out of curiosity what pressure do you run your tyres? I ran our previously fitted 17 inch Michelin Primacy tyres at 37psi which I found to be best (purely personal preference) but even then for the last 10k km of their 50k km life the ride had deteriorated noticeably whatever pressure I tried. The Primacy also felt like they were not in contact with the ground at all when new but did improve after a couple of hundred km when the tread lost its 'gloss'. I did not think my experiences with them were as good as some of the glowing test results I read. I was always told that RWD cars require toe-out settings and FWD toe-in settings to maximise tyre life. Might be different in a competition environment but I have no experience in that area.
  24. I've got a 2014 1.4tsi estate, owned from new, on a fairly low 95k km with original suspension parts and 17 inch wheels. OEM tyres were Dunlop Sportsmaxx, pretty good and consistent through their 40k km life. Replaced with Michelin Premacy which lasted near 50k km and for the last 10k km the ride felt as though it was deteriorating, so much so I thought a suspension component might be at issue. A few weeks ago I fitted Continental tyres and the car's formerly excellent ride (imo) was restored. Long story short, is that the tyres can make a substantial difference. I run my tyres at 37psi, which is a bit higher than recommended, for various reasons: safer emergency braking as the higher pressure allows the front tyres to resist load deformation. don't have to worry about raising the pressures if you offer some larger friends a lift. a little better fuel economy I like the car's ride and handling characteristics at that pressure. A very remote possibility for your experiencing such a poor ride is that the transport blocks were not removed on the, when new, pre-delivery inspection. Most incidents of transport blocks in place that have been posted on Briskoda have obviously been with brand new cars, since the ride is reportedly near intolerable, but there has been at least one post concerning a second hand car. To check, you jack up the front as if to change the front tyre so that the suspension droops, if that reveals some brightly coloured blocks on the suspension, then they need to be removed. Check both sides at the front, they would not have been fitted to the rear suspension. As I say, it is extremely unlikely to have been undiscovered for so long, but it costs nothing to check other than a bit of time and effort.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.