Everything posted by Alasdair1
-
New ball joint faulty?
Does look a bit old due to the rust starting but could be a really cheap aftermarket one. My local garage stopped fitting cheap ones as they only lasted about six months and customers would come back and complain. Cheap ones are fine to get it through an MOT if your selling the car on but fit decent quality if your keeping it. If they said they replaced it then pop back in and get them to check it. It does look like the rubber has been damaged
-
Inner door card/window reg rivets info required plus how to lift window
Hi there. I have a 06 plate fabia 1.2 and the drivers window just dropped into the door. (damn cold drive home with wet salty slush hitting me in the side of the head). Did some research on here and going to order either a window reg repair kit or just the replacement plastic clips plus OEM rivets once I take it apart to see what the problem is. Got the part number for the correct rivets N91078801 (6.4mm x 10mm) and also have three of old Lazy tong riveters but only one size nose on each which are all too small (probably for 4.8mm rivets or smaller. Need to know the nose size for these rivets or do I just look for 6.4mm nose. Dont want to buy another one. Also anyone know how to raise the window to get to the fixings holding the glass as it seems to be jammed in the down position. Had a look on a couple of youtube vids and looks like a nightmare of a job but our local Skoda/VW dealer is pretty expensive. Labour is around £100 per hour!!! Any help or advice welcome Alasdair
-
Fabia mk1 wing mirror size??
Hi there, Both mine are the same size and larger but the driver side had a dotted line and then more of a wide angle. There both manual and not heated. Thanks for the part number info. I will get in touch with a few scrap yards in the uk and see what they come up with. There used to be a few near me but now down to one that sells parts. Everything else is crushed on arrival. I assume the after market one I bought is for a LHD vehicle passenger side as it was listed as equivalent to 6y1 I got the part number off 7zap but must have looked up a LHD vehicle by mistake.Managed to repair the old one for now to keep me going. Many thanks again Alasdair
-
Fabia mk1 wing mirror size??
Hi there, Sorry for not getting back. Something came up. I'm ok at the moment as managed to get a new glass and stik it back together. Will check out my local scrap yard. As said the one they sent was smaller and I am waiting to hear baack from them. I reckon there were two sizes available or perhaps they changed the design? The one I got was only £38 new so not the end of the world. I could always order another for the passenger side so they match Thanks Alasdair
-
Fabia mk1 wing mirror size??
Hi there, Looking for a bit of help. Have a mk1 fabia 55 plate and had my driver side wing mirror broken by a van. ordered a compete aftermarket mirror unit as the old one was held together with tape. new one arrived today but its smaller, The original is longer and seems slightly narrower. Does any one know if there are two types that could be fitted to a mk1 or perhaps the last owner replaced them with something else that would fit. The car was registered in 2006 but has a 55 plate Any help welcome.
-
Original tyre size? Mk1 1.2 15" alloy wheels???
Changing tyres is my first move anyway once its got its MOT and will get my son to check speed on his phone once I get the new tyres in case the speedo is way out. Its a 55 plate with 60000 miles and underneath is pretty spotless so with a bit of luck MOT should be ok although you never know. Checked everything I can so fingers crossed. The guy I bought it from put two new front bearings, new discs and calipers on it before he sold it. Just got to check the drums at the rear for wear. Cheers for the replies Alasdair
-
Original tyre size? Mk1 1.2 15" alloy wheels???
Was actually following my Octavia doing 30mph which thinking of it now is probably not a very accurate way of measuring. Will need to check it properly once I replace the tyres as its for my son to learn to drive. Most of our town is now 20mph so don't want him to get a ticket especially before he passes. I first noticed the automated speed signs say 40mph when speedo is 30 . Is there an accurate way to check?
-
Original tyre size? Mk1 1.2 15" alloy wheels???
Cheers I did wonder. Car tends to roll and bounce a bit. I noticed when it was parked beside my Octavia that its sitting pretty high but its due an MOT so once it passes I reckon I will bin them and fit 195/50/15. The speedo also is way out its reading 30mph when actual speed is over 40mph. The guy I got it from used it for mountain biking so I can only assume he fitted them to get extra clearance.
-
Original tyre size? Mk1 1.2 15" alloy wheels???
Hi can anyone tell me the correct tyre size for 15" alloy wheels on a fabia 06 plate. They are skoda alloys. Bought the car recently and the tyres seem a bit large. The ones fitted are 195-65-15 but the spare is a steel 14" wheel and a lot smaller? Cant remeber the size off hand. Alasdair
-
Fabia Mk1 washer problem
Just got a haynes manual as trying to get an MOT on a 1.2 06plate and according to it the wiper is fuse 41 (20amp) but the wash wipe system is fuse 15 (10amp) I assume the LHD will be the same as RHD Alasdair
-
Intermittent starting dash power immobiliser faults
Had similar problem 58 plate octavia 1.9tdi. Relays clicking and weird warning lights etc. Turned out to be a failing batteryand dash connection. Most of the time the car started but randomly wouldn't turn over, Just lots of clicking and warning lights as well as that annoying chime. Checked battery and only puting out 9volts max. Also had problems with the connector at the back of the dash that needed cleaned and re seated. Had dpf light and fog light dash symbols on all the time and a few others just showing dimmlly. Once socket and plug cleaned with new battery it was back to normal. Disconnect the battery if your removing the dash!! Does it do it with both keys? Have a seat 1.9tdi that went into safe mode for 6 months after using the spare key which I forgot was defective. Was going to cost a lot for seat to diagnose and they said it may need a major software update as well as new keys and reader so as I wasn't using it left it with the battery disconnected for a good few months. For some reason it sorted itself?? still don't know how.
-
Fabia MK1 6y2 window motor equivalent?
Thanks sent you a message but not sure if it worked. Not good at forums etc. Alasdair
-
Fabia MK1 6y2 window motor equivalent?
Many thanks. I new about the 9th digit but had suspicions. The ones on ebay all say fit polo passenger and skoda drivers etc but been caught out before. Was going to try and repair it myself as read relay and capacitor may be the problem but will give you a shout as you can test it in case its something else.
-
Fabia MK1 6y2 window motor equivalent?
Hi there, Have a fabia mk1 55 plate with front electric windows that don.t work anymore. Read up on line and reckon its the motor/control unit in the drivers door. Checked all wiring and fuses and they seems good. New door switch as well. Central locking works but nothing else. Part number is 6Y2959802 but difficult/impossible to find replacement. Have come accross 6Y1959802. Worked out how VW part numbers work (I think) so as its just the Engine/model number that is different can anyone confirm it would fit? Only other thing is the windows don't open and close when holding key in locking and unlocking mode in door so might be the comfort module but as the central locking still works not sure. Any help appreciated Alasdair
-
Skoda octavia 2008 instrument cluster removal without setting off imobiliser?
Will remove battery connections first and leave for a while just to make sure there is no power anywhere. Thanks Alasdair
-
Skoda octavia 2008 instrument cluster removal without setting off imobiliser?
Many thanks, Was a bit worried as read a few posts re problems with immobilser. Will keep the ignition off. Not sure what the problem is. Hopefully just poor connection to the cluster or perhaps poor earth. Thanks Alasdair
-
Skoda octavia 2008 instrument cluster removal without setting off imobiliser?
Hi there, My car Skoda octavia mk2 1.9tdi 2008(58plate) has developed weird instrument cluster light problems. Dpf light showing dim (just noticeable) on all the time. When head lights are switched on it shows bright as well as both foglight symbols lit even when foglights are off. The car is coming off the road for 10 days while I wait for an MOT (I discovered there is about a months waiting list her at the moment due to the MOT extensions re Covid) I don't thinkI have a DPF fitted anyway. Its a 1,9tdi BXE engine. I intend to check out the cluster and look for dry joints or any visible problems but I need to know if by removing it will I immobilize the car? Don't have vagcom to reset if I do. Is there a safe way to remove it? Many thanks Alasdair