Everything posted by chills
-
Karoq SE L Standard ‘Equipment’
The different colour is better for fog than the bright white. I was looking to fit high power LED in those positions as driving lights, not fog, as I rarely see fog here. However, it isn't worth the hassle.
-
Home CCTV
Absolutely! That is why you don't want to involve plod as they are not up on all this. They have far more important and urgent things to do and have to keep up on the ever-changing criminal laws. Also, this is a shifting quagmire and can be situational. What was right yesterday isn't today, but might be tomorrow. I did come across a case where Person A's CCTV recorded over Person B's front garden. Person B's car was broken into/damaged, and Person A's CCTV video was used to secure a conviction. Followed a couple of weeks after the conviction by a Solicitors letter from Person B demanding that Person A's cameras do NOT cover any of Person B's garden..... Allegedly a True Story™ (because I can't find the source)
-
Karoq SE L Standard ‘Equipment’
NOT true VarioFex seats, rail on BOTH sides and (now) 2 hooks on each side. (23Mfr, early 24 Reg SE L)
-
Home CCTV
Cue comments about the lady with you..... :-) I know what you mean, though. It would be fun in court, like something out of Allo, Allo. About half a century ago, I did know someone who got caught shagging a sheep.... I say "did know" we went to the same school and a few years later he got caught in a field by two police men with torches. The field was over a river on the side of the town. There was a footbridge and being a farming area prone to poachers, someone heard a sheep making a noise late at night. Assumed it was poachers, called the police, who went to investigate....
-
Home CCTV
I believe it was a speed van. A hand held speed gun can be challenged on that sort of reading +/- 2 mph For FAC I think it is down to the officer more than the force. It was very hit-and-miss if you pardon the pun. Lights... it depends on location. We are effectively a cul-de-sac with no through traffic. It is generally dark at night unless anyone comes down and then they get floodlit. If they have done any recce, they will know there are multiple cameras on multiple houses and multiple lights. The problem then is there is only one way back out for them.
-
Home CCTV
I have been in a Speed Awareness course where one of the people that according to the paperwork she had was doing 32 in a 30 limit. There were also 2 with 33 in the same spot. Also having been a UK firearms owner and seen some of the nit-picking by police over the decades apart from complete lack of knowledge a lot of the time I am less charitable. As a photo/video journalist again the police really didn't have a clue most of the time hence https://phnat.org/ Even now, whist it has generally improved, it is not good. So don't involve the police unless you really need to. Besides, they have more than enough to do. Where I am, we got together and came to an agreement all the cameras overlap and cover, so there are no blind spots. As you suggested, none go directly into anyone's windows. Then again, there is enough distance between the houses to do this easily. There are also multiple self activating lights.
-
Home CCTV
Agreed. However Absolutely not. A Police Officer can and will use the letter of the law (as they see it) regardless of common sense. Hence, saying not to involve them at all.
-
Home CCTV
Yes, but.... and it is the "but" that gets expensive. This is a good guide https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property as is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/McNaes-Essential-Journalists-Si-C3-A2n-Harrison-dp-0198898827/dp/0198898827/ which is updated every 2 years. This one covers video, photography and a lot of associated things. It is very useful when the Police try to tell you otherwise. Again, to be fair, this is usually an area they are not experts on unlike the crimes they usually have to deal with.
-
Karoq SE L Standard ‘Equipment’
I have the flex rear seats and the roller bot cover but not the left/right driving for the lights. Which I didn't realist until I checked a couple of days ago. Also front fogs are not LED I also found two less hooks in the boot so asked for 2 more which they threw in. The cargo nets were there (unopened) I had an April 2024 Registered car but a 2023 Mfr according to the Vin. Mine tells me I have 17-inch tyres too. Though, I have the 18 inch Miran alloys and 18 inch tyres fitted. As mine was a Škoda Dealer Demo with 3K4 miles on the clock (and other toys) I had a good deal but.... sometimes you do think some of the other toys might be nice.
-
Home CCTV
The original post may be 8 years old, but the current comment are, well, current. The information hasn't changed much anyway in that time.
-
Home CCTV
The average police person will not know/understand all the law involved. To be fair it is not their main concern compared to the thousands of other laws they have to contend with on a daily basis. BTW you are wrong saying "as long as the majority of the FOV is on your property, you're fine." last time I checked it wasn't majority it was "all". Then you get into blurring/pixelation etc and what, if anything, the Police person knows/understands about the law in this area. Which if they have looked at the law for the first time just before coming out will be their first impression of it and to cover their arse. Usually you will know your own property and that of the neighbours, the weak spots, where to put cameras and the normal flow out side one the road. You are also as likely to know the external threats as much as the police. So overall you will know more than the police in this respect. What do you actually need to talk to them about? Also anything you say will be remembered and can be used in evidence etc. Also anything they see in the house. Finally if they know you have CCTV and know what it covers it puts you in a difficult spot if they come to you for footage.
-
Home CCTV
DO NOT TALK TO PLOD! Lots of good reasons not to. But do get professional advice. As noted by others read the home office regs for England and Wales on CCTV cameras and privacy. Do talk to neighbours. Between the three of us we have overlapping coverage with not pixelation. Fortunately we own the drive in front of the gardens and can cover that too. We also talked to the other four further up and basically anyone coming into the road is covered by multiple cameras at all times. Anyone looking to do anything dodgy isn't going to do just one house/car so we cooperate. Back gardens are different. We look after our own but it is difficult for anyone to approach from that direction. Yes. Swann have/had known weaknesses. As do all the similar Chinese makes. I must admit I haven't been keeping you with it over the last couple of years. There are lots of things you can do. Change the default port numbering. Change ALL the passwords from any defaults. Also the default ip addressing. Normally everyone uses 192.168.0.* Whilst 192.168 are "local" network you can use any numbers in the range 0 to 255 in the third position, Pick something random. eg 192.168.137.* One tip most can't do is hard wire don't use wireless. My place is fully Cat5 hardwired and no wifi in the building. Well there is one in the summer house, when we turn it on but it is physically disconnected to the main network unless we want to use it.
-
Green room rewards
Yes. I got a cycling water bottle (my son cycles a lot). Went through the processes and when the app said it was in I phoned first to check before going. The thing is there is a code that has to be entered into your app to prove you collected so the staff can't disappear the item. So phone Skoda direct (the number is in the app) and tell them what happened. If the item did get to the dealer they will have to produce it. (or buy a replacement)
-
Lane Assist and ACC
The problem is these systems, for legal reasons, assume that the driver is fully alert and instantly able to take over. This is not something Civil Airline autopilot assumes, and they have more time and space. Whilst the ACC might react faster than you might have done, it still has to maintain a legal safe distance, so if it doesn't react the driver can still react safely according to the law. IE the legal safe thinking distance and breaking distance etc. Therefore if the ACC fails for any reason at any point the liability is the drivers not to hit anything. Hence, the problems with different thinking/breaking distances in different countries, where the car could travel through several countries in Europe without stopping and "resetting". My worry is that with ACC, lane assist with an automatic gearbox, drivers will lose concentration and not pay attention, which could lead to far worse accidents. Which will all, legally, be the driver's fault.
-
Paint Code for grey part of rear Bumper
A picture might help. Working out which grey you mean is a gray area.
-
Karoq bonnet struts fitted.
So it does interfear with it? Do you have any pictures? Though, aren't the ones you fitted different? They looked longer than these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005380154836.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.45bd1802zzmuTb
-
Lane Assist and ACC
Now I understand. You mean changing settings in the user interface. I was thinking you meant changing the source code, as there are some places that do hack the actual source code and firmware.
-
Karoq bonnet struts fitted.
Just about to order a set and for a final sanity check I tried my bonnet and yes, it is "heavy" compared to other bonnets (from memory) possibly because it is shorter and has less leverage? However, there are some rubber (?) blocks that seem to be for sound/vibration damping I assume everyone else has these (a 2024 car, 2023mfr) and these struts don't foul these at all?
-
Lane Assist and ACC
If you are changing the firmware/software, it almost certainly does affect the insurance and warrantee. If it is other than changing settings that are available to change, how do you test the modified software? .
-
Karoq bonnet struts fitted.
Also watch the first 5 seconds of the video of the hood opening. The struts are the opposite way to the way he then fits them in the video..... That said, looking at the many strut fitting videos on that channel, it seems 50/50 as to which way up they fit them.
-
Lane Assist and ACC
Agreed. A pity you can't. Me to, though I don't use it in heavy traffic because of the constant adjustment required. However, I have noticed that in the last year, since getting the Karoq, on the serval motorways and dual carriage ways I use CC is becoming far more useful as more cars do seem to be at a constant speed. I assume that this is more people using CC. SO I have got back into the habit of using it.
-
Lane Assist and ACC
I can recommend a Priest to do an exorcism....
- Soundproofing
-
Soundproofing
Agreed the for the EV's this will be a certainty. However, we were discussing it for ICE. So it will be adopted for EV's and then the new Hydrogen vehicles (this is where the ongoing R&D is) Depending on how long this takes to come in, it remains to be seen if it is applied retrospectively to older ICE. It will probably not be cost-effective for a dwindling market of a multitude of very different systems that may or may not be workable for this. The thing is we talk about it for 5 or so years whilst the car companies and Tier 1's look at the feasibility. Then 5 years to design it in, so you are looking like a decade minimum. Once the automotive companies have a solution, then the government does the law (as written for them by the industry and the Civil Service) and it comes in, usually with a couple of years public warning. BTW last time I asked, fully autonomous cars on UK roads were still a few decades off, but that was from the Head of Functional Safety from a well known UK/EU brand in a 1 to 1 chat over coffee. Marketing and corporate may say otherwise... BTW, I know about automotive software, firmware and electronics. I know F all about mechanics and changing a wheel or fitting petrol is my limit :-)
-
Lane Assist and ACC
Truck software was appalling when I looked at some 25 years ago. So much so that I put my concerns in writing and signed it. However, it has improved, I hesitate to say "a lot" over the last couple of decades. Mainly due to court cases rather than a desire for engineering excellence.