DIY Guide: The 'elephant hose CCV (catch-can) mod'

Basil

I was under the impression that you couldn't use vagcom to turn down the EGR, but it can be done with a cheap ECU flash cable (different to VCDS cable) and some software like MPPS or Galletto.

I've also noticed that some tuners stateside offer Dynamic EGR Control, which is the best of both worlds as it allows the EGR to operate when the engine is cold to reduce warm-up times thus reducing engine wear, which in turn increases MPG on shorter runs. Once the engine reaches temperature the EGR switches off completely, which gives all the benefits of a delete. Sounds ideal if you ask me!

I was under the impression that you couldn't use vagcom to turn down the EGR, but it can be done with a cheap ECU flash cable (different to VCDS cable) and some software like MPPS or Galletto.

I've also noticed that some tuners stateside offer Dynamic EGR Control, which is the best of both worlds as it allows the EGR to operate when the engine is cold to reduce warm-up times thus reducing engine wear, which in turn increases MPG on shorter runs. Once the engine reaches temperature the EGR switches off completely, which gives all the benefits of a delete. Sounds ideal if you ask me!

Although, with the elephant mod, would the car not warm any quicker as it is going to atmosphere?

The elephant mod has nothing to do with the EGR, but I can see where you may have them mixed up because fundamentally the CCV and the EGR do exactly the same thing, recirculate unwanted gases/vapours back into the otherwise clean intake path.

Basically the Elephant mod is a no-brainer and has no downsides whatsoever. From the factory, recirculating oily crankcase air cheaply solves the emissions issue faced by car manufacturers when dispersing of unwanted air pressure from the lower half of the engine - they pipe it to the intake just beyond the air filter and MAF to be burnt in the engine, which brings a whole host of downsides such as oily intercooler (which reduces cooling efficiency), pipes and joints, and makes a heck of a mess when it mixes with soot recirculated by the EGR further downstream..

the EGR valve is also fitted to satisfy emissions regulations, but there are a lot of different opinions as to its usefulness. Some remove it completely because it cokes up the inlet manifold (made worse when the coke mixes with oil vapour from the CCV, which is why the elephant mod is good) and others leave it in place to shorten warm up times and slightly reducing engine wear as a trade-off for a sooty inlet. Most of the time the layer of soot is minimal and rarely causes problems, unless you only ever do short trips. You can also turn down the amount of exhaust gas the EGR recirculates, with VCDS as I have just learned, which sounds like a good middle ground.

Hope this makes sense.

it does, ta.

my only gripe is that the warm up time is a lot longer now. I understood not to give any beans until the temp is up (I wait until the guage is at 90)

however, as a trade off the (maxidot, not real checked) mpg has increased by appx 2.5-3 mpg. the car seems happier idling in traffic, I like that the turbo is louder and I love the looks by other cars when I am at lights and there is steam coming from the bottom of the car.

I used to be able to join the motorway like batman, now its normal as the temp is only at 3/4 or below.

if I deleted the egr, would this further reduce warm up? as I am 90% motorway, am I right the egr is mainly not in use anyway and so not really an issue?

mr muscling the turbo over the next day or so to solve the occasional limp mode, once I have discovered just where to stick it on the pd 170.

pikey mods are ace :)

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if you run this mod without a catch can, so pipe goes underneath the car, is there a risk that oil will drip onto the road? I wouldn't want a biker to lose control on some oil that's come from my car that's all! I'm guessing it'll be fine but would like some confirmation.

There really should not be any noticeable oil as such coming from the crankcase breather as it literally is just a breather.The "steam/smoke" combo should be pretty clean although obviously there will be some oil based contaminants carried in the vapour that when condensed will leave an oily residue but enough for a biker to slip on? i think not ( i am a biker btw).

The EGR is a very misunderstood item and the main train of thought is it is there simply to aid emission's but if you read up on what the egr's main TWO purposes are you will find that apart from helping bring emmisions under control (along with other devices) it also keeps cylinder temperatures down and removing the EGR can be detrimental to engine temps,just ask any Renault Dci owner who has continued to run with a jammed EGR valve!!!!!

Had a look at mine today for what the catch can catches im removing it, after looking at the liquid in the tank im not concerned about bikes (being a biker)

I'm thinking about removing my catch can as well but will order some new pipe as i don't think my current one will quite stretch. I can't decide if its the weather or if the smoke/steam is causing the front of my car to get dirty really quickly as it escapes from under the bonnet. :|

Guys i had a Mk5 Golf in today and was fixing the ABS module,upon removing the air filter housing i found the "drain" pipe from the bottom to have a plastic pipe fitted with a simple "one way vale" fitted. basically it was a plastic pipe with a rubber seal fitted that allows it to act as a 1 way valve,i took a pic but its at work so will add this tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

just warn your mechanic when he puts it on the ramp and is underneath he may need a gas mask :wacko:

forgot to warn him. he thought that it was a bodge by someone because the pressure was too high and it was a diy release of some kind.

still loving the steam at junctions from under the car....

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk

After a 1000 miles of this mod I have noticed that the engine oil is thinner, not quite sure if this means the mod has done it or the garage have used the wrong oil. As car has never seemed happy since the change

Me to, hence I asked, wondered if at any point the hose could go from exhausting to inhaling?

I can't how you could generate sufficient vacuum in the crank case to suck something back up the hose into the engine.

Do you make a habit of parking your car in deep puddles of thin oil?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Lol, had to laugh at that, been looking into it it may have something to do wot the garage putting in a different spec oil to wgat it's meant to have :/ so oil change in order

• 2 weeks later...