Scouts Lock Knife

A sheaf knife (a more traditional scout knife) may or may not fall into the illeagal group

11 year old wheat harvesters - whatever next? :P

Lock knives have been illegal in public places ever since I can remember - due, IIRC, to the Teddy boys of the 1950's. I'm quite surprised to hear the Scout movement advocating them without any explanation as to the legal implications. That said, I've always owned knives (and cut myself) since before that age. Never had a really decent one though. An 11 year old is likely to lose it before using it, just buy something that does the job without being expensive and ostentatious, would be my advice.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having used smaller knives at work for around 25 years, I think the lock knife is one of the greatest safety inventions I have come across. It is hugely better than the traditional form of opening knife. I can understand why knives are considered a risk in public places, but that problem aside, I urge anyone concerned with knife safety to buy a locking blade type of knife, especially for a child who no doubt will do all the classic daft things with it ie 2 handed stabbing/cutting actions, cutting towards themselves etc.

Generally speaking imho Leatherman are the best/most robust, closely follwed by Gerber. Victorinox multi-tool type knives seem to flex a lot more than either of the former 2. I still have my Victorinox Handyman for around the house though

Guest parsko
Lock knifes are legal if they are the tools of your trade.

I suggest you read this. UK, Harris v. Dir of Public Prosecutions

My 74 year old father had a minature lock knife (1" blade) confescated by a security officer when we we tried to get on the London eye. Report had to be filed with the Met. He was not prosecuted but it broke his heart as he had owned and carried the knife for over 30 years!

That case quite clearly states that he had no reason to be carrying the knife. It was in his inside jacket pocket and he was going out on the town for the evening. Thats slightly different to having a leatherman in a toolbox, or a lock knife in with your camping gear. As long as there is good reason for you carrying the knife, its fine.

I suggest you read this. UK, Harris v. Dir of Public Prosecutions

My 74 year old father had a minature lock knife (1" blade) confescated by a security officer when we we tried to get on the London eye. Report had to be filed with the Met. He was not prosecuted but it broke his heart as he had owned and carried the knife for over 30 years!

Well the security forces saw me using my knife about an hour before the queen arrived at Chelsea Flower Show and I didn’t have any trouble. Also I have taken this multi-tool through security at Aintree, Wimbledon, The Open Golf, Silverstone and Annual Political conferences. I just explained my job and reason for the tool.

As long as there is good reason for you carrying the knife, its fine.

Agreed, i carry one of these 14cm fixed blade diving knife with me whenever i am diving

6310.jpg

This includes four times a year through an airport, with no problem (not in my hand luggage tho' !! :eek:)

I am a big fan of Gerber multi tools, cheaper than Leatherman, but the quality of the multitool is as good without the leatherman name. I have owned one of these for years and use it a lot, the main blade is 3 " long, all the tools lock in place and are top quality and hardy, especially the pliers, scissors and wire cutters.

It also has a handy one handed open facility which is pretty neat. The newer high tech looking ones are more expensive but this one does the trick.

Good value for £33.00

Gerber MP400 Multi Tool Gerber tools uk Gerber 5500 5510 8292

If its got to be locking, even though it's illegal, I'd go for an Opinel "my first knife"

mon_premier_opinel.jpg

Or something like a Victorinox Waiter, not sexy but it has all he'd realistically need.

The Victorinox proper Swiss Army Knives are really good and well made but they can snap shut on your fingers if you're not careful.

A better choice might be a shorter 2" thick bladed lock knife.

Something like

Buck Nobleman Frame-Lock Knife

And a good whetstone.

I cut myself a few times as a cadet in my yoof and it was usually because my knife wasn't sharp enough.

I notice a lot of the knives say they can be opened with one hand. I though that was illegal and was the reason butterfly knives were banned.

Lock knives have been illegal in public places ever since I can remember - due, IIRC, to the Teddy boys of the 1950's.

Was that not flick knives and switch blades?

Is there confusion between and switch, flick or gravity opening knife which locks in place automatically when the knife opens and a knife which locks into place once the user has manually opened the blade?

The above three are all illegal but you can easily buy a knife which is opened manually and then locks open, to prevent it springing back onto you fingers, from any highstreet hardware or outdoors shop.

A swiss army example

Victorinox Rucksack Swiss Army Knife - Only £21.99 - Simply Outdoors

Nearly all rescue knives are made to be opened in gloves with one hand and also lock for safety reasons

Theirs plenty of trades that are required to carry one hand open lock knives in public places as long as your not flashing it about the police are pretty happy

I think you'd be better off going to a dedicated blade/knife forum for something like this. I'm a member of British Blades :: Custom Knives and they're got a great member base and legal section.

As far as the law goes, if it has a blade length of over 3", locks, is a fixed blade, or obviously carried with malicious intent (9" hunting knife carried in a belt sheath through town) then its ilegal - UNLESS you have 'good cause'.

this is left up to the police officer that stops you, afaik, and can range from anything to being needed at work (stanley knives being the main one, but a chef travveling /form work would also be able to use this as valid reason for carrying anything up to or over the 20 or so fixed blade hideosly sharp knives they use).

As it's most likely your childs first experience of using knives, i'd got for a lock knife. I know they're ilegal without good cause, but so long as you explain to him that he musn't take it out of the house unless he's going to scouts and he needs it, then he should be ok. Lock knifes are much safer that 'slipjoints' (knifes like penknives which can be pushed closed, and have no physical method of stopping them closing when open).

please, please, don't get him a penknife. he'll have far too much fun using all the extra tools and might not learn anything useful from the course, i know thats what i'd be like.

If you want something slightly more legal than a lock knife, then a 'friction folder' would be good too. think of it as a slip join knife with an extended part which comes out of the top, unsharpened edge, towards the handle when opened. when holding this normally, you're effectively making sure the blade can't close becuase you're preventing the extended part from moving beneath your hand. Bad explanation, i know, but i've found a picture for you:

DSC02570.jpg

there you can see the extended part i'm talking about. the advantage of this is that one, its safer when open than a slip joint, its more legal than a lock knife, and its easier to open than a slip- or lock knife, becuase you can just pull/push back on the extended peice/tang and that will swing the blade open.

you can find lots of cheap knifes which meet your requirements, but if i was you, i'd try and steer clear of the multi-tools and swiss army knives, etc. a knife designed and made to be a knife, not a knife and a set of pliers and a torque wrench and a set of scissors and a fish scaler and ooh whats this a screw driver etc etc etc will ALWAYS be a better knife.

If it was my kid, i'd get him an normal opinel, probably a number 7, or whicher ever is closest to a 3" blade length, not one of the round bladed ones though, sometimes those points are REALLY useful.

Hope that helps. sorry for the long post.

Hope he enjoys himself, most of all :)

Good post Tinks. I go on BB sometimes too. Seems we agree on the No7 Opinel - and they are cheap too ( Opinel Classic Originals Stainless Steel Knives No.4vri-No.12vri ). Actually a point probably would be better than the round ended one I suggested. Still have my old Opinel from about 20 years ago, at least you have the option to lock or not. Now I have a rather nice Fallkniven F1 which does all I need it to (bit excessive as a first knive though....

nice to see a fellow BBer. i've got an opinel no 7 that a friend brought back from france one year, and its great. the advantage of the opinels is that you can lock them closed, as well as open (and even locking it when open is optional, due to the clever ring lock) which makes it much safer for carrying in a pocket. I've recently got myself into knife making, and its a great hobby.

Heinnie is a good place to start looking, yes. like everything, have a look round, see what you want, then try and find it for a price you're willing to pay.

As i said before, i'd probably get a No. 7 opinel, and with a budget of £40, i'd look at a nice belt pouch for it too, or maybe just a few off cuts of wood so your son can have a few peices to muck about with and get used to the knife, keeping it clean, etc etc etc.

maybe get a cheapish whetstone as well, so your son can learn to keep it sharp properly.

Tink.

For something that has questionable legal consequences for carrying and using there sure are a LOT of companies that make knives and an ENORMOUS variety of choice! :confused:

They are only illegal to carry if you don't have a valid reason for carrying them. A simple £10 Opinel, in a pocket to go to scout camp or evening would be fine, especially as it doesn't have to lock open and can be locked closed. Waving it around may be harder to explain.

I've been asked about having the F1 in my posession, I had a valid reason (I was practicing bushcraft and could talk knowledgably about it) and nothing further was said.