Race Blue and stone chips.

Hi folks.

I had a Black Magic Fabia vRS for three years and 60K, every now & then I picked up the odd stone chip and touched it up, no problem, that's life. The car was handed back to the lease company at three years old, still looking more or less like new. LR54ZYE, where are you now I wonder?

I now have a Race Blue Fabia vRS LE, and at six months and 10K the front of the car is ready for a re-spray, I have owned many cars over 25 years, and I have not had a car as ready to collect stone chips as this car, it is peppered with them.

Is this likely to be a paint fault? and is Race Blue known for this problem? Car is in for its 1st service on Monday, I will ask them to comment.

Thanks in advance.

Stone chips happen though don't they. Probably just easier to notice on that colour. I have a couple, only really notice close up. My dealer gave me his race blue touch up though, as he didn't need it :)

My Race Blue is still largely okay at 10k miles. There are a couple of issues, but none of the pebbledash you see on high milage cars.

I do tend to leave a *big* gap between me and the car in front and am very choosy in what I will follow. If a truck's kicking up dust I won't follow it; anything that looks like it's been on a construction site also gets a very wide berth.

Right... being a sunny day today I decided to check out the stone chips again on the front end of my car..it's starting to worry me because there is a lot of exposure of the metal below.

I need to get these repaired so do I pay someone to do it and if so, is this kind of work expensive? Or do I buy a kit in and do it myself

Any recommendations? I heard there was a group buy for a stonechip repair kit from the states on this forum not so long ago... any luck with your kits?

Anyone with advice ?

The main thing is to ensure that the metalwork is not exposed. If it is, cover it up. Either use a touch-up stonechip kit or spray some paint into the cap of the can and use a safety pin to apply it.

You can sort out the finish and stonechip protection aspects once you're sure it won't rust!

I use T-cut, a cotton cloth and a small wooden block to rub down the blobs left after I fill the holes in. Then Polish of some variety.

J.

i'm having mine re sprayed,i have had a couple of paint nightmares,starting with a bad minor accident repair,vag paint is well known as being very hard,and prone too chipping,i think its a case of not being able to do anything about it:mad:

i'm having mine re sprayed,i have had a couple of paint nightmares,starting with a bad minor accident repair,vag paint is well known as being very hard,and prone too chipping,i think its a case of not being able to do anything about it:mad:

There's always the likes of armourfend etc...