Colour coded grill surround... at last

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how a small change can have such a large impact on the looks :) I like it, looks menacing:cool:

That's the look I'm going for. Hopefully it says if I am up your ar5e move out of the way :rofl:

Hi

Had mine done to other week the car looks superb.

Are you going to paint the mesh on the lower grill think that would finish the look

Spot on mod

Regards Whoosh:thumbup:

Hi

Had mine done to other week the car looks superb.

Are you going to paint the mesh on the lower grill think that would finish the look

Spot on mod

Regards Whoosh:thumbup:

Not sure about the colour coded mesh - I kind of like it as it is. I have got some spare mesh so may try spraying some up to see what it looks like.

Definately looking to get a spare chrome surround and do mine before I take delivery! Any idea how hard it is to take the chrome off so you've got something to key to? Wondering whether to do it myself or leave it to the sprayer: difficulty v cost!

Definately looking to get a spare chrome surround and do mine before I take delivery! Any idea how hard it is to take the chrome off so you've got something to key to? Wondering whether to do it myself or leave it to the sprayer: difficulty v cost!

De-Chroming is VERY hard to DIY

I fully DIY'd my coded Grille, managed a pretty good job of it too - theres a thread for it here;

http://briskoda.net/forums/octavia-ii/colour-coding-my-grille-diy/111177/

Best bet is to leave it to a Pro, but shop around for a quote... ;)

I'm a fireman, i'll have plenty of time in between shifts to scrub it down. I'll try to make it therapeutic... or if that doesn't work give it to a pro just before I throw it against a wall!

:rofl:

Aye, its does look good, mine was already done when I bought it from the dealer! One of the reasons I chose this one over other ones I looked at.

It does seem to act like a road sweeper on the motorway too! Especially when the auto lights are on for some reason on a warm June day! So much so that it attracted the attention of the local traffic constabulary on Swindon race track (sorry ring road) the other morning! Oooopps, thank fully it was early, and I wasn't pusing it too hard, so had chance to ease off gently, and they went past me slowly, but having a good look at the car! Perhaps they wanted to swap their bland 3 series for my Octy II!!!

I agree

Want to get it done but worried about the "de-chrome"

I agree

Want to get it done but worried about the "de-chrome"

You just need to give it a good rub down with some rough sandpaper to key into it so that the paint takes. It will take a good few hours by hand but worth it. :thumbup:

I'm about to do this to my Fabia Grill.

I presume i'd be ok using my Black and Decker "mouse" electric sander to do the job of removing the chrome ?

Don't see why not but it may be trickey due to the awkward shape.

Actually just remembered about that now you mention it Steve.

Am sure there's a thread kicking about.

its in the styling section if i remember rightly. you need a fair amount of cheap bleach and a decent sized container.

If you are using a mouse to key then be careful you dont snap it as its quite flimsy when unattched from the grille. You can then use some acid etch primer to key into the chrome (if your not completely removing it with bleach and peeling)

i sand blasted mine but it was a bitch to get off and took ages