collinite 476S v. 915?

madfiddler

what actually is the difference between collinite 476S and 915?

I've heard both mentioned and recommended

Actually looking for a good polish and wax combo for my new storm blue octy (when it finally gets here!)

I'll be doing the job by hand so what do you think? I don't want to get RSI, the more easily applied the better imho! :)

I have some clear liquid turtle wax at the mo...worth using it up on the octy or not do you think?

all opinions welcome

I wouldn't say either was developed with certain colours in mind TBH. Key different is durability. 915 has about 25% more carnauba in it, so isn't quite as durable. On the plus side though, 915 will give you a deeper and wetter finish. Whichever you choose is a good choice IMO. Either will give you decent amounts of protection.

I wouldn't waste my time with the Turtle Wax you have left over, but that's just my opinion :)

Cheers,

Steve

Yep, not a bad way of doing it, allowing it to cure between coats. I just put two coats on with a 30 minute gap, then some Victoria Concourse as a final coat. Has been beading since September :)

Steve

I wouldn't say either was developed with certain colours in mind TBH. Key different is durability. 915 has about 25% more carnauba in it, so isn't quite as durable. On the plus side though, 915 will give you a deeper and wetter finish. Whichever you choose is a good choice IMO. Either will give you decent amounts of protection.

Spot on Wardy.........

915 is less durable than 476 but will provide a wetter / glossier finish.

845 works best on lighter coloured cars whereas the above lend themselves to darker coloured cars a lot better..........:thumbup:

is it worth using one with the other or will that just muddle things?

i.e a few coats of 915 with a coat of 476over the top to seal ?

You can do, I usually do it in order to achieve a different finish, whether it be a durable finish or a glossy finish.........

Remember though when you get into applying several layers the laws of diminishing returns start to come into play.

I think 2 coats of whatever about an hour apart is good as it ensures an even coverage incase you missed bits with the first coat etc. Then if you want do another 2 coats about 24 hours later after the first 2 have had time to fully cure.

TBH I think applying after every wash is a waste of time and product ;)

I've had good results with the 476S, but will give something like the 815 a go next time. :)

I have 915 and have used it on red, dark blue and metallic grey.

I find the durability fine but it looked it's best on the red.

A tin will last ages especially as you really only need to apply 3-4 times a year. I agree about the application method, use a foam applictor pad and thin coats almost so you don't think you're putting any on. I apply to three panels then remove and then move to the next three. Leave for 30-60 mins then repeat.

Alway gave me good results but I use it over EGP which probably helps.

and what about polish as opposed to wax then?

OK well as a start I think I Iwill wait and see how it arrives from the dealer....476S is necessary, otherwise 915

Polish-wise I have some AG SRP I use on SWMBO's red fiat.....would AG ultra deep shine be bettter on a dark car or would you go with something completely different to go with the 476S/915 wax?

thanks for all your replies so far

is it worth using one with the other or will that just muddle things?

i.e a few coats of 915 with a coat of 476over the top to seal ?

One point to note with layering waxes is to put the least durable as the final/top coat. Then when that breaks down, you've still got the more durable wax underneath.

So if you were wanting to use 476 and 915 together, put the 915 on last.

Steve