Morrisons BIo Diesel...

Leon-y-k

Theres a warning sign I had seen on the pump after I had filled up at the pumps saying it wasnt suitable for diesels without a something magiggy. cant remmeber it exactly but yeah... but what does it mean?

would it do any harm to the fabia's TDI engine on a X plate?

it seemed to got us home ok. i just drove home waiting for the engine to pop or something. but nothing happend!

:)

anybody that has driven to France or other countries on the continent will have used bio-diesel , and i expect none have had any problems, my VRS runs better on it , with less smoke

Theres a warning sign I had seen on the pump after I had filled up at the pumps saying it wasnt suitable for diesels without a something magiggy. cant remmeber it exactly but yeah... but what does it mean?

would it do any harm to the fabia's TDI engine on a X plate?

it seemed to got us home ok. i just drove home waiting for the engine to pop or something. but nothing happend!

:)

There are a few reasons you shouldn't use it in Euro 4's with DPF's however as mentioned the stuff over there has been 5-10% Bio for years so I doubt a bit is an issue

It will be fine in an early PD especially as Morrisons Bio isn't really Biodiesel, I believe it's only 30% Bio :thumbup:

ahh ok. i just went to ask someone on the other sid eof the pump! and he said.. he was gonna try it but he thought he'd better not! i wasnt prepared o have a lecture from the parents about putting the wrong fuel in! so just hoped for the best!:P

My mum did a good trick of saying you put petrol in... and knowing fulll well that i put diesel in but i still had to reassure myself and look twice at the pump display before driving off!

I have a 54 Fabia. I did the same thing & then phoned the dealers. They said "No way!" don't even drive it in get the RAC to tow it in & they'd pump it out for £240 but wouldn't garantee it hadn't knackered the fuel pump!!!

I phoned skoda UK who said check the spec of the bio & call them back. I'm waiting on Morrisons... Soothing advice would be appreciated!!

well ours did 280 miles trouble free and just filled it back up with normall diesel... i dont think it had done anything differant. :)

Maybe I should've said it's a 1.3 TDi fabia!

1.4????

This is probably down to the fact it's fitted with a DPF which doesn't like Bio.

How much did you put in?

yeah 1.4! I used to have a Felicia 1.3.

How much did I put in? Lots, it was down to "20miles" in the tank & I filled it up. £50.30 at 129.9 / litre :(

Hmmm. It's only 30% bio so your probably ok. Do you know if it definatley has the DPF fitted (Most of them did but not all)? I doubt very much it will knacker the fuel pump or even the lift pump.

Does it run ok?

All diesel sold in the UK now has an element of bio in it now anyway. IIRC its about 10%, and in euroland the figure is much higher so you should be fine.

All diesel sold in the UK now has an element of bio in it now anyway. IIRC its about 10%, and in euroland the figure is much higher so you should be fine.

This is very true and ATM the weather is warm enough to thin it down a bit.

Hi, latest update...

Morrisons (local store, central contact haven't got back to me yet) say it is "Horizon Fuels B30", is 30% bio (as you said), something about EN590 and guaranteed to meet EN14214 (which is what Skoda asked about).

Skoda are checking against my reg to see if it'll be OK but the lady dealing with it is at lunch.

240 quid sounds a bit keen. If I do need to drain it hows about anyone with a diesel is welcome to whatever they can syphon out? Once it's full of normal gunk it should flush through? Dealer didn't talk about flushing anyway, just draining.

and finally...

The man from Skoda he say "yes". :) If it's pre 2006 AND it conforms to EN14214 & EN590 no problems.

Generally 5% is all the engines are designed for.

And he said he'd put it in writing - though my warranty runs out about now so I don't suppose that will be much use even if I have problems :(

for the difference in price i think i would rather stick to regular diesel anyway. 4p saving? not really worth the risk no matter how minimal.

for the difference in price i think i would rather stick to regular diesel anyway. 4p saving? not really worth the risk no matter how minimal.

And because people think like this the world will never change.

What risk do you think you would be taking by putting a EN14214 & EN590 spec fuel into your VRS? You might as well say your taking a risk by buying from a supermarket.

and finally...

The man from Skoda he say "yes". :) If it's pre 2006 AND it conforms to EN14214 & EN590 no problems.

Generally 5% is all the engines are designed for.

And he said he'd put it in writing - though my warranty runs out about now so I don't suppose that will be much use even if I have problems :(

Good good. No DPF then :thumbup:

I have been running all sorts of Bio in PDs for a few years now and had very little issues in doing so.

And because people think like this the world will never change.

What risk do you think you would be taking by putting a EN14214 & EN590 spec fuel into your VRS? You might as well say your taking a risk by buying from a supermarket.

after going to the garage tonight i noticed diesel was down to 128.9 (Shell), why would i bother using supermarket fuel which is 1p cheaper?

i'm pretty sure i've read enough threads in here that state the only difference in supermarket fuel and chain station fuel is the additives, surely the chain station fuel is better for your engine? and i'm guessing biodiesel isn't all that great on the pd engine, not if its 30% bio... i'm sure i read skoda stated the engine was fine for 5%?

all i'm saying is i'd rather not take the risk or doing any damage to my engine whether its knacker the fuel pump or whatever for the sake of a few pence when filling up.

after going to the garage tonight i noticed diesel was down to 128.9 (Shell), why would i bother using supermarket fuel which is 1p cheaper?

i'm pretty sure i've read enough threads in here that state the only difference in supermarket fuel and chain station fuel is the additives, surely the chain station fuel is better for your engine? and i'm guessing biodiesel isn't all that great on the pd engine, not if its 30% bio... i'm sure i read skoda stated the engine was fine for 5%?

all i'm saying is i'd rather not take the risk or doing any damage to my engine whether its knacker the fuel pump or whatever for the sake of a few pence when filling up.

/sigh

If the fuel conforms to spec then there is no risk. If your local Shell is cheaper than your local supermarket then great, that isn't the case in most locations and then your giving your money to part of the cause of high fuel prices and I have seen the same tanker serve my local shell and my local Sainsburys. It's all the same fuel period you should never worry about filling up at a supermarket.

It's all your choice but you do need to be aware of the empirical facts. Bio runs fine especially in your PD, but the whole ethical/moral debate is for another time.

From what i read BP supply sainsbury and all the fuel comes from the same refineries anyway. Do you really think every fuel company has it's own refinary and adds things into tankers?

It's the same fuel, except for specials like BP ultimate and V-Power.

You do have to wonder though if BP supply Sainsbury and sainsbury sell super unleaded, is it BP ultimate?

• 5 months later...

To perhaps resurrect an old thread...

I've just been on the phone to Morrison's customer services, who were about as useful as a chocolate ashtray. In the end I spoke to my local "Bio diesel" stockest who was going to confirm the specs - until she told me it was the same price. At that point I thanked her for her help and ended the call.

Obviously I've now read the specs above - but seriously, what's the point? Bio diesel for the same price as regular? You can't even argue an environmental benefit as for a start it's only 30% bio and secondly when did diesels become environmentally friendly?? Argh.

Still, rant over.