Emergency Braking Hazard Lights

vRS Carl

Enabled this option a few months ago with Vag-Com and never really thought much of it untill today.

Was driving back to Camp along a 60mph limit and as i went round a blind bend some twonk had decided to overtake coming the other way:mad:. Needless to say i had to Step on the middle pedal quite hard and instantly the Hazard lights came on which enabled the driver behind to perform the same manouevre and undoubtedly stop him parking in my back seats.

I definately recommend enabling this option if you havent done already

Carl:thumbup:

The hazard lights coming on under emergency braking are supposed to be a standard feature, whereas there is an option to enable brake light flashing in Vag-Com. You would of obviously seen the indication inside the car of the hazards but wonder if the brakes flashed also?

Steve

The hazard lights coming on under emergency braking are supposed to be a standard feature. You would of obviously seen the indication inside the car of the hazards but wonder if the brakes flashed also?

Steve

They never did it before until i enabled this in Vag-Com.

Didnt think any manufacturer had the Flashing brake lights except BMW and its only the top high level one that does on the car. If i can find the driver who was behind me i'll ask him if the Brake Lights flashed aswell:D

Carl:thumbup:

my emergancy hazzard lights were not enabled, this had to be done by vag com and a few cars that ive done 2nd fog light on havent had it either as ive suggested it and then added it. perhaps at a next brisky meet this could be tested to see if the brake light flashes as well?

2 questions:-

1) You don't think your brake lights coming on might clue in the guy behind?

2) Do you really think something that some people might mistake for an electrical fault (me being one of them) is a good idea anyway?

2 questions:-

1) You don't think your brake lights coming on might clue in the guy behind?

2) Do you really think something that some people might mistake for an electrical fault (me being one of them) is a good idea anyway?

yeah but sometimes its a good alert when you see someone break it could be just a gental one, or if you slam on the break and you got hazards and flashes it alearts the driver to be more aware that the driver infront is slamming on the breaks! I think i read somewhere some company was thinking of having a more intense brightness if the breaks were pressed even harder.

I think it wouldnt be too hard to distinguish a fault from a hard breaking alert sign from the back of someones car - but idealy it should be made more aware to drivers on the roads and advertised more maybe like esp should.

I think it wouldnt be too hard to distinguish a fault from a hard breaking alert sign from the back of someones car - but idealy it should be made more aware to drivers on the roads and advertised more maybe like esp should.

When I see someone's brakes and indicators come on simultaneously, my first thought is "bad earth", not "emergency stop". In fact, in the described circumstances, that would have diverted my attention from the actual hazard.

Might I suggest that if the brake light also flash then it might be construde as an emergecey services vehicle?????????? And could cause futrher confusion to other motorists..........

When I see someone's brakes and indicators come on simultaneously, my first thought is "bad earth", not "emergency stop". In fact, in the described circumstances, that would have diverted my attention from the actual hazard.

Well it certainley worked for the driver behind me. Either that or he was an off duty fighter pilot and has **** hot reactions:rolleyes:

you have to be performing an Emergency stop. Ive braked quite hard before and it hasnt done it but when i stamped on the pedal on this occasion they came on straight away.

Dont know if dealer will activate but if your anywhere near me i can do it for you

HTH

Carl :thumbup:

This is a standard feature on the B6 Passat.

I've never had it happen but think it may help, how does it work on motorways though as using hazards is illegal I think?

using hazzards to warn other motorist is not illegal, i beleive most motoring groups encourage it, i was told to use this when i learned to drive, known about it for about 20 years. it basically warns people of your presence and the only time you should see hazards lights running is when a vehicle is stopped i.e. braking hard on a motorway to a stop is counted as that.

can be used as free parking lights (also known as broken down or delivering a parcel) but i wouldnt risk the free parking part of it.

Ive seen on motorways when traffic is coming to a halt ambulances switch on their pulsing red lights on the roof, you gonna tell them its illegal or take it as a helpful idea to notify other drivers coming up behind you lot at 90mph that you are all stopped?

This is a standard feature on the B6 Passat.

I've never had it happen but think it may help, how does it work on motorways though as using hazards is illegal I think?

The use of Hazard Lights on motorways when emergency braking conforms to Rule 116 of the Highway Code:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

I stand corrected,

From what I've read I was right that I'd either read or heard it somewhere but the ruling was changed and now it's only allow on motorways and dual carriageways as mentioned above.

I can now stop shouting at people I thought were doing it wrong all these years.

I just hope I never need my auto hazard lights any time soon.

I pick up my new to me anyway Passat on Thursday and a nice long drive from Newport Gwent to Livingston.

And yes, regarding flashing red lights at the rear of the vehicle, even the POLICE cant legally do this while moving, only while stationary.

I also beleive that a ammendment to the regs had to be made so that the traffic wombles could use red along with amber while they are blocking the road for no good purpose. :D

The only group AFAIK that can use red flash at the rear is Fire and Rescue Service.

How do I know this?

Have looked into the law relating to orange strobes/beacons and came across it on a suppliers web site.

Steve

i can remember a kind of national publicity in the late 80's for using hazzards and at the same time people were mentioning the idea of the third level brake light to reduce the risk of accidents on the motorway.

Now most cars, make that all cars now have a 3rd level brake light.

My sisters 1994 Micra doesn't, my 1995 Astra didnt have one.

My 1998 Felicia does and my Uncles 1990 G plate Volvo had one. (Didn't all Volvos have a 3rd brake light and daylight running lights)