Diet COKE/PEPSI can KILL!

Lady Elanore

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snopes are hardly the world health authority and that posting is 2 years out of date.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are happy to debunk something that appears on many websites as "internet rubbish" then go and post the Snopes pages as if that is some definitive authority ...... it is not.

The Deadly Deception of Aspartame

ASPARTAME

Aspartame Is An Excitoneurotoxic Carcinogenic Drug!

Thanks for scaring the **** out of me Lady E! I drink my tea with candarel instead of sugar, I've just looked and it's chock full of aspartame!

Right, I'm sticking to beer and wine from now on then.

Snopes are hardly the world health authority and that posting is 2 years out of date.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are happy to debunk something that appears on many websites as "internet rubbish" then go and post the Snopes pages as if that is some definitive authority ...... it is not.

The Deadly Deception of Aspartame

ASPARTAME

Aspartame Is An Excitoneurotoxic Carcinogenic Drug!

... and then there are those who post scaremongering articles as if THEY are the definitive authority ;)

If the Snopes article is 2 years old, it shows this scare tactic about aspartame is also quite long in the tooth, and hardly needs reposting again (with respect to Lady E), without at least some investigation and counter argument taking place.

What Snopes is, however, is largely impartial. If you scroll to the bottom of the Snopes page, you'll find several links to rather more serious organisations - like The Lancet, where you can read some more scientific information about the issue.

HTH

If you show me an article which is in a scientific or medical journal and has undergone some peer review I *may* pay it some attention.

Until then anybody can write a website and it's even better if you do it in comic sans, as then everyone knows how serious you are :)

Men who drink 2 cans or more of non-diet soft drink per day, are 85% more likely to get gout, (and at over 1% incidence that isn't as unlikely as you think.)

Diet soft drinks, on the other hand, do not.

Soft drinks, fructose consumption, and the risk of gout in men: prospective cohort study

Oh, and the same paper implicates beer and fruit too.

Thanks for scaring the **** out of me Lady E! I drink my tea with candarel instead of sugar, I've just looked and it's chock full of aspartame!

Sounds like a good plan, better add whisky to that diet too. Thank God Babs is still OK:thumbup::D

Probably internet BS I reckon

I don't think it is as our lad has ADHD (Hyperactivity) and quite a few things can really make him go, but the worst is artificial sweetener - either aspartame or phenylalanine. THese make him go realllllllllly loopy

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Good man :thumbup:

Probably internet BS I reckon

I respect the right of people to say what they like (unless it is racist, which your post isn't) but that reply gets on my nerves. Read on before you wonder why....

Dunno, sounds like there might be something to it, even if it is slightly exaggerated....

Speaking from personal experience, I think there is something in it. Let me explain. I apologise if this bit is rather long but it may be worth reading.

In July 2007 I booked up to go to Amsterdam for an all-night dance music gig. I made a few days of the trip and had a great time. However, the Saturday after I got back I awoke with stomach spasms and felt as ill as hell. My Mum took me down to the A&E department at the local hospital later in the afternoon. The nurse suggested I try some anti-spasm tablets to see if that helped. And they did.....to start with.

After about a week or so the pills were having no effect. I went to the GP and blood samples were taken. I rang the practice for the results and the practice said "all clear: nothing unusual". Blatent rubbish.

Anyway, I kept on going back to the GP (who, as it turned out, was an idiot - of which more later) and tests kept on being done. They resorted to stool and blood tests but the results, according to the practice, kept on coming back with an all clear.

Eventually the GP I had been seeing went on holiday for 2 weeks which was to my good fortune. My case was passed to a female GP who was on-the-ball by all accounts. She looked through the file that, the day of my appointment at the BRI, she rang up at 8am as she was so concerned at what she read in the file. However, eventually I started loosing weight. My Mum, when she noticed this and spoke to her boss who is Vice-Chancellor of the university. He, fortunately, has been a surgeon and professor of mediciene in his time. When my Mum described the symptoms (I wasn't there) he knew what the problem was there and then and rang up, fixing me an appointment in the hospital for 8:30am next morning with a consultant he knew very well.

The consultant also had a good idea what it was. He examined me, feeling my stomach. More blood samples were taken and this time they were analysed properly. These confirmed the consultant's suspiscions and the diagnosis, at the next appointment, was given as Crohn's Disease: inflamation of the bowel to the extent that it was contacting with my bladder and a join was starting to form between the two. Which, of course, shouldn't have been happening.

In short, over the course of the period between August 2007 and July 2008 I ended up having two operations to correct the problem and, between the operations, the way I could take a s*** was altered. I won't be graphic but it wasn't fun.

I made an appointment with the female GP in September 2007 and decided I would lodge a complaint with the male GP (the one who went on holiday) I had been seeing when the saga had kicked off. I made it clear that I never wanted to see that male GP ever again. The lady GP was very understanding and informed me that there was a review meeting coming up and my case was one of those up for review. I was offered the chance to be present at the meeting and make a statement but I declined. I don't know why I did decline that invitiation. I gather, from a subsequent appointment earlier this year, that plenty of failings were spotted and alterations have been made to various rules at the practice as a result.

After reading that lot I have written up there, you have two options:

a) If you think I am talking bulls*** then go ahead: carry on drinking Diet Coke / Pepsi and you will, sooner or later, possibly find yourself going down a road that will take you on a long trip through hell before it brings you back again. You may find it will be a one-way road: no turning back. I still have the CD but I am better than I was.

B) If you are sensible then you will take the piece of advice that is at the end of my message. I have not touched any drink with the word "Diet" on its label since August 2007 and it will stay that way.

DON'T IGNORE WARNINGS ON ASPARTAME: IF YOU DO IGNORE THEM THEN, ONE DAY, YOU MAY END UP REGRETTING IT - AS I DID.

Dave

I dont like any of the diet or lite versions of most things. Better to have the full fat or sugar version. But less often.

How many litres of Coke a day?:eek:

But I usually drink my Coke with rum :thumbup:

I don't think it is as our lad has ADHD (Hyperactivity) and quite a few things can really make him go, but the worst is artificial sweetener - either aspartame or phenylalanine. THese make him go realllllllllly loopy

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

But it hasn't killed him has it :confused::confused::confused:

We are talking about something totally different here. It's a well known fact that fizzy drinks turn kids half mad, I myself used to go mental on too much coke when I was younger to point where my parents would switch me to fanta too calm me down.

Besides theres no such thing as ADHD according the head teacher at my daughters school. Just badly behaved children.(not my words):rolleyes:

I respect the right of people to say what they like (unless it is racist, which your post isn't) but that reply gets on my nerves.

I smoke and drink. Does this mean I will definately get cancer or liver failiure.

I also note that you were "booked up to go to Amsterdam for an all-night dance music gig" So my next question will be what "other things" were indulging in at the time. If it was nothing but being high on life then I have no further question, but if you partaking in other substances maybe these have more of a detrimental effect on you than diet drinks

I'm sorry you have had a problem, but as as others have said you show no link between your problems and diet drinks, so why are you posting that storie in this thread.

If this post offends you then feel free to report it and we can have removed.:)

I only posted this as a topic for consideration. I don’t want it to get too personal. I assume the lack of connection between Aspartame and DaveH’s problems is purely an oversight, the sort we al do if we are familiar with a subject and sometimes forget that others aren’t. I am still interested hear the ‘connection’ part though.

Basically... no matter what we do, we're f*cked!

Which just about hits the nail on the head.

Next thing you know crossing the road will be danegerous as you could get run over.

Getting out of bed.....you could trip hit your head and be dead before you hit the ground.

Driving is very dangerous but we all do it.

Have I made my point yet or shall I go on.

Meh, I'm a natural sceptic (cynic?) so for me the louder people are shouting, the less likely it is to be true.

I read the original post years ago and drew my own conclusions from the number of my friends* who were dropping like flies with all sorts of symptoms and rare and nasty diseases and complications....

*none of them.