How to change sidelights - Fabia II & Roomster

irfant

Hi all,

After trying many things described here for hours without succes, I had an idea.

Even if I had never seen this connector, I knew exactly how it looked like.

The solution I propose you here if fantastic! You will be able to replace both lights in less than 10 minutes! Note, this explanation is for the bi-halogen version but will also apply for the reflector model.

All you need is 1 testclip (see picture, price is 1,20€ for 2, length is about 8 cm) and 1 dishwasching glove :D (so you have more grip when you pull the testclip.)

First remove the indicator lights for more space & the rubbers from the sidelights.

Then feel how the connector is placed so you know where the "mini handles" are located.

Then open the testclip completely after removing one of the handles (the one you will pull, otherwise, it will just slip off the testclip) (see picture) and grasp the connector. Check with one finger that you have fixed it well.With your rubber glove it's now easy to remove the connector!

The Blue Vision sidelights look great! :rolleyes:

Just let me know if you have questions!

Have been looking at these posts all very interesting as i'm desperate to change mine. Having looked at test clips, the ones i've seen have a straight edge . Have these ones in the pic' been modified? B)

Have been looking at these posts all very interesting as i'm desperate to change mine. Having looked at test clips, the ones i've seen have a straight edge . Have these ones in the pic' been modified? B)

It doesn't look like the ones in the 'pic have been modified to me and certainly the 'crocodile clip' on my battery charger had some viscous 'teeth' on the front that were great to clip onto the bulb holder.

This is the sort of thing you need;- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-duty-Crocodile-Battery-Test-Clips-100mm-50A-/120609041902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c14dbedee

It doesn't look like the ones in the 'pic have been modified to me and certainly the 'crocodile clip' on my battery charger had some viscous 'teeth' on the front that were great to clip onto the bulb holder.

This is the sort of thing you need;- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-duty-Crocodile-Battery-Test-Clips-100mm-50A-/120609041902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c14dbedee

Thanks for that, carn't really lose for £1.97. Must remember to get some bulbs as well. B)

Edited by NZ100

Well; it's another day, just about two years on!

I'd bought some of these;- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200605297949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and fitted them as sidelights in my Yeti (a really simple job) so thought I'd have another go at changing those on my wife's Roomster.

I found this thread again and discovered the 'test clip' or 'crocodile clip' suggestion and thought ah ha, I have those on my battery charger.

Taking note of the above instructions, with a bit of dexterity and moving the indicator bulb fittings out of the way, about 15 mins later sidelight bulbs changed! ;):thumbup:

Here's the result, daytime with lights on and later at dusk;-

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

A huge difference and they can almost be used as DRLs. ;)

Wehay, mine look like this now as well, they also tie in with day lights that are fitted in grill. Took me a bit longer, having moved the filter i could get into drivers side. Used small mirror to see where clamping points were, and found i had to shorten one side of test clip, but it worked. One and a half hours, with one tea break inbetween, which is good for me. Anyway, well pleased, thanks to all with bits of info. B)

Edited by NZ100

I looked at doing this yesterday and armed with a clip, went to have a crack at swapping the bulbs over. Well, I totally failed at that attempt and really can't see how the clip would fit in the driver's side light on the 1.9 TDi. Okay, I have man flu ( :rofl: ) so wasn't concentrating quite as hard as usual, but I have to ask, has anybodyt with the 1.9 TDi lump managed this?

If they have, I shall stand in the corner for being useless. :giggle:

I looked at doing this yesterday and armed with a clip, went to have a crack at swapping the bulbs over. Well, I totally failed at that attempt and really can't see how the clip would fit in the driver's side light on the 1.9 TDi. Okay, I have man flu ( :rofl: ) so wasn't concentrating quite as hard as usual, but I have to ask, has anybodyt with the 1.9 TDi lump managed this?

If they have, I shall stand in the corner for being useless. :giggle:

Mine is the 1.9tdi. The manual says you have to remove the fuel filter holder which is what i had to do in the end, but is only three bolts, just be careful you dont drop any of them, i dropped the bulb i was taking out, could not find it anywhere, good job i didn't need it anymore. Found the critical bit to make sure i located the test clips round the bulb holder cutouts, got it jammed at one point while it was on the wires, this is why i shortened one side of the test clip, gave me a bit more space to work with. When you fell a bit better give it another go, you no you want to, i must have looked at the job at least half a dozen times, and said it was a No goer. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Struggling the get the bulb holder out. :dull:

Do you need to twist it or just pull it out?

What is the connectors "mini handles", and do they need to be pushed in before you can pull out the bulb holder?

They do just pull out, but the clip has to be over both sides of the bulb holder. B)

• 8 months later...

Hi. I tried to change the driver side sidelight and could not do it. The crop clip did not help me. I dropped in at the Skoda dealer in Dundee and aske dhgow much they would charge to replace the sidelight bulb (Saturday afternoon). They said they would have a look, and replacved it in 10 minutes without using tools at all. And how much did they charge? Nothing. Nada. Nil. My skoda is a mk 2 (2007) 1.4 80bhp TDI hatch, and I did not buy it in Dunde, nor do I get the car serviced there. They just said they were happy to help.

• 8 months later...

Well; it's another day, just about two years on!

I'd bought some of these;- http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649 and fitted them as sidelights in my Yeti (a really simple job) so thought I'd have another go at changing those on my wife's Roomster.

I found this thread again and discovered the 'test clip' or 'crocodile clip' suggestion and thought ah ha, I have those on my battery charger.

Taking note of the above instructions, with a bit of dexterity and moving the indicator bulb fittings out of the way, about 15 mins later sidelight bulbs changed! emoticon-0105-wink.gifemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Here's the result, daytime with lights on and later at dusk;-

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

A huge difference and they can almost be used as DRLs. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Will these affect an MOT? Last time I had an Astra with a similar set of lights and the gits failed the car because they say the lights were blue but quite clearly the lights are white(I took them out to get the car to pass)

• 1 year later...

I still dont understand.Do I have to twist bulb holder counterclockwise and pull or just grab and pull?

I tried to grab and pull it using clips but it didnt come out.I pulled It realy hard and nothing.Does somebody have a photo of that lightbulb holder so I can figure it out how it works? 

Edited by rade486

They do just pull out and push back in. I remember one side came straight out but the other was really tight. If you can get a bit of a twist when pulling out it helps. Just make sure your clipped around both sides of the holder.  :sweat:           :nerd:

I did it using small needle nose pliers and small mirror. :cocktail: :D

You have to pull realy hard.New LED-s are inside now and I hope to never change sidelights again.It would be good to drill a very small hole in lightbulb holder and pull some wire through that hole and make a loop out of it.That would make next lightbulb change painless.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I too was tearing my hair out trying to remove the nearside front sidelamp!

Then I found this site, joined up and, with a little delving, used the battery out and battery charger clip method... But you really need to "force" the clip apart when it's "got" the holder or it will slip off.

So, with great thanks to all the others... Skoda Fabia Mk2 (2007 on):

Battery out.

Indicator lamp out.

Rubber cap off.

Battery terminal clip with sleeves removed.

Rubber gloves on for grip.

Force the clip apart while pulling the lamp holder (No twisting needed)

Out she pops!

Why oh why it has to be this difficult I really don't know!!!!

• 1 year later...

Nice idea SP, well done that man.  Only one problem though, when you come to eat your dessert cake. Another problem, when the wife says "i'm sure we had a set of six dessert forks. Whoop's.  :sweat:

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

New day - new solution (and dead easy)!

Take 1 cable tie about 9" long.

Wrap it round the wires leading to the bulb holder BEFORE threading it together.

Pull it through until the resulting hoop fits down the lamp holder tube.

Guide the hoop onto the bulb holder & while holding it in place with a (fat) finger, gently pull the straight end of the cable tie (with the other hand silly) until it engages (like a lasso) around the bulb holder.

Now pull & hey presto - the bulb holder is out!

cable tie.JPG

• Like 3