Skoda Superb under evaluation

Sat on my folks drive right this minute is a 1.9TDi Tiptronic Superb in a beautiful shade of metallic gold undergoing a 24 hour test drive evaluation.

A couple of things;

1. I read somewhere that the 2005MY Superb would have split/fold seats. If this is so, does anyone know if it will be for Superbs manufactured in 2005 or from the 2004.5MY? Whilst this is not an essential requirement for them they may just hold fire on ordering...if they choose to go ahead and purchase, of course.

2. The dealer has supplied the car without a handbook, which seems a little perculiar (it is also filthy, but that's another story) and we're not quite sure what the little switch marked on/off is on the left hand steering column stalk. Is it the cruise control activation?

Thanks, folks.

Sat on my folks drive right this minute is a 1.9TDi Tiptronic Superb in a beautiful shade of metallic gold undergoing a 24 hour test drive evaluation.

A couple of things;

1. I read somewhere that the 2005MY Superb would have split/fold seats. If this is so' date=' does anyone know if it will be for Superbs manufactured in 2005 or from the 2004.5MY? Whilst this is not an essential requirement for them they may just hold fire on ordering...if they choose to go ahead and purchase, of course.

2. The dealer has supplied the car without a handbook, which seems a little perculiar (it is also filthy, but that's another story) and we're not quite sure what the little switch marked on/off is on the left hand steering column stalk. Is it the cruise control activation?

Thanks, folks.[/quote']

The split seat is being made in LHD and I know is available to order in Germany after speaking to a German , whilst in CZ this month I managed to determine split seat is being made from a Skoda contact but I could not determine if there will be a RHD UK version due to my lack of Czech. I read on another post on here that its available in Ireland but Skoda UK said it will not come to the UK.

I suggest you Contact Skoda UK and see what thee response is .

John

2.8v6 Tipronic Elegance Suoerb

Its a booted car basically a streched VW passat. The boot opening is limited however the boot area is quite latrge with current models having a ski slot in the centre of the rear seat back for carrying larger objects such as lengths of wood. The Superb was initially lauched with fixed rear seats to give rigidity due to the steched body suposidly. Skoda are now introducing a folding rear seat certainly on the LHD market - but its unsure about the UK RHD market

John

I asked this same question of Skoda UK when I was about to order my Superb last month.

I was told that the split/folding rear seat will be coming to RHD UK models, but that currently no date has been set.

As I needed my car for 1st September, I decided to order anyway.

If it's really important to you, I suggest you give Skoda Customer Services a call, and ask them about it. You might just get the same answer I got, but then again, they might have some more details by now.

Bagpuss.

Thanks everyone for your input. A lack of split/fold seat is not a major concern but I did think that if it was due to make an appearance shortly it would probably be with a number of other little tweaks, so probably worth a short wait.

Slightly away from the original post topic but, does anybody have any recent accounts of prices paid for new Superbs? If they go ahead and order it will be a 130bhp 1.9 tiptonic with metallic paint in Elegance trim.

Cheers.

That's for the 5-speed manual.

I couldn't consider the auto because of the detrimental effect it has on the Co2 emissions. The company car tax is bad enough already, without making it any worse.

Bagpuss.

How do you find the tiptronic?

Have to say, I would be seriously tempted next time to go tiptronic and elegance trim next time.

Not sure how your dealer is about adjustments on the tiptronic as its only a recent addition to the range (with the pd130 anyway). But having said that, I have heard of a couple of decent prices for said package ;)

Tiptronic is ace but I think its best suited to an engine with an abundance of power, the 5 speed changes are so quiet that you need to look at the tacho to know its changed.

It comes in handy on short bendy slip roads for motorways where teh auto would be in too hogh a gear, knock across toggle down accelarate then tap over to auto again ...excellent

Mine is only a week old and mine certainly hasn't got the split seats. My 2001 Passat had split seats.

Far rather have the split seats than that ski sack thing. Waste of space - one of my colleagues pulled the thing out - now I can't get it back in, and the rear arm rest thing won't sit upright now :mad: How many diesel owning Superb drivers actually go skiing - and take their car with them! Don't tend to drive around with long planks of wood either. Get rid of the thing and make split seats - or even better - a Superb Estate!

Bagpuss - great choice on the car. :D Wish I could have stretched to an Elegance. Ignore my whinging about the ski sack - it is a minor point which doesn't detract from a truly excellent car. :D

Hi Kevin,

Got to agree with you about the Superb Estate. I've just come from a Passat Estate, and would have really liked to stick with that body shape for the Superb. I think VAG are just too nervous about the impact it might have on other brands in the group.

As for the split folding seats, if my translation from the german is correct, then the option we want is "Umklappbare Rucksitzlehne". This costs 200 Euros. Please, please, please bring this to UK models.....is anyone out there in Skoda UK listening?

As for the Superb being a great car, then I'm in total agreement. I went back to my dealer yesterday, and saw a new Elegance in Nightfire Blue with the Ivory leather. Kinda made me think if I was right to go for silver, as the nightfire is very nice.

Oh well, too late to worry about the colour now. Roll on 1st September :)

Bagpuss.

Sounds like drivethedeal are doing the business. In my case, they simply weren't an option, as mine is going to be a company car. This means I am stuck with the preferred dealers that the leasing company has nominated.

The original point of my post was simply to illustrate that discounts were available, not that I'd got the best possible price.

Bagpuss.

Some interesting points made here.

I fully concur about the ski-sack. I too unfolded it only to wish immediately I hadn't as it was the devils own game to get it back in satisfactorily. A minor gripe and the basic idea idea is sound - to stop filthy items dirtying the interior. And we did notice that the interior (light beige) was extremely grubby very quickly. Whilst appreciating that the vehicle is for demonstration purposes I am amazed that the supplying dealer did not at least wipe the coffee stains off the Superb kickplate on the drivers side or remove the blanket and coathanger from the boot - how long would that have taken? That said, these very minor issues say more about the dealer/salesman than the product which is well executed. With split/fold seats I would be considering the Superb as a potential replacment for my Volvo S80 (without it is just not an option) so it now remains to be seen if my folks are suitably convinced to go ahead and purchase.

I feel I have just discovered one of motorings few little secrets - enjoy your Superbs.

Got to agree with you about the Superb Estate. I've just come from a Passat Estate, and would have really liked to stick with that body shape for the Superb. I think VAG are just too nervous about the impact it might have on other brands in the group.

That's at least 2 of us that (which?) have come from Passat's. Bet they are scared of losing business if they had a Superb Estate. I do like the Passat - but if the Superb didn't exist, I would have still gone for a different car as I like a change. If I could have afforded a Passat PD130 Sport Estate (being different enough from a 2.0 petrol SE saloon) - I would have gone for that - but at the time the Superb was a lot cheaper so it was no competition.

Certainly get far more admiring glances in the Superb. (Well I like to think they are admiring anyway!) People seem to get out of your way quicker on the motorway too - so it must be a little more intimidating - more of a presence, than the Passat.

I'm sure a lot of people just don't know what it is and just assume it's an Audi or a Passat that doesn't quite look right. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my father was suitably impressed enough on his recent 24hr test drive to yesterday to order a 1.9 130PD tiptronic Superb Elegance in gold.

And he always let me drive his cars.......

Good choice - look forward to seeing the pics. Do like Gold - that was my second choice. Which alloys is he going for? Think on the Elegance you can upgrade to 17inch "Solid" Alloys for free.

What exactly is Tiptronic?

Not sure what alloys he is plumping for. Knowing my father he'll take whatever it somes with! Tiptronic is the automatic gearbox - traditional auto with a manual overdrive if a play is required.

The Tiptronic is as stated manual overide, you knock the selector to the right in any auto gear or from startoff and the box will go into a sort of paddle shift mode where movemet up changes up a gear and down down a gear, the box will not allow selecting a gear that would cause engine or box damage. To change back to auto mode the selector is just knocked to the left again.

The Tiptronic mode is great however the 5 speed box is so quiet as is the v6 2.8 that changes are very smooth, that a lot of the manual jerky surge "thrill" during gearchanges is lost.

The box also has the mormal 234 gear possitions as well as D and R

I find it useful for selecting a lower gear than the box would choose in certain driving conditions such as slip road accelaration especially wher the slip road is a bend

John

Not sure about toptronic, but my Superb could certainly do with 6 gears. I'm sure the Passat Sport has 6 gears giving even better mpg for the PD130 - presumably the same would apply for the Superb. Think it makes it a little bit nippier too.

Well my Superb has had a decent run of late all at national speed limits, and so far the tank has done 300 miles with the computer saying theres another 530 to go, it is also giving an average consumption reading of 53 mpg.

Considering its a big beast, I dont consider these figures poor in any shape or form, with the standard pd130 under the bonnet and 5 gears.

It has plenty more cruising to do in the very near future, so I am keen to see how far this tank of fuel will go.

edit: now 600 miles on the tank, about 1/4 left after some slightly spirited use of the loud pedal.