Brake Disk Corrosion

All

I have notices specs of what looks like rust specs on all four brake discs.

This is a 55 plate, with 29k on the clock and was mentioned at the last service two months ago, but not as in needing any work done yet.

After driving for a few miles and braking etc this disappears.

I am due for its first MOT end of this month, and am wondering if this could be a failure?

personally, this seems quite unusual for a 3 yr old car with average mileage.

was too dark to add photos, but will add if this helps.

dont suppose there anything i can do under warranty? i got three weeks left in that!

Thanks

Gordon

The discs will show specs of rust on them if you leave them for a while or after rain as the metal disc is ecposed to the elements and it just starts to rust.

Nothing to worry about, my fabia does it on a 4 discs if you leave it and it's gone when you drive after a few presses of the pedal.

I have just had all 4 discs replaced too so I wouldn't worry, don't think it's a failure.

So long at they are not pitted you should be fine.

Discs always rust- like Conshine says, they are steel, so there's no way they won't.

As long as they aren't worn, scored, pitted, or the pads aren't contacting the full width because of a stuck caliper, they are fine.

Discs always rust- like Conshine says, they are steel, so there's no way they won't.

As long as they aren't worn, scored, pitted, or the pads aren't contacting the full width because of a stuck caliper, they are fine.

They're actually cast iron, but other than that, a big :+1: on all the above :thumbup:

Unless they are ceramic (as your being picky)

If we're going to get picky ;)

There's also carbon matrix discs, and the difference between "cast iron" and "steel" is normally the percentage of carbon in the alloy.

If they are pitted there firstly is a much less surface area for the pads to stop them. The surfaces are uneven and the brakes could fade rapidly. Worst of all if the disc are pitted this could lead to the rust fracturing the disc and then you could end up in a wooden overcoat.

rjo0294l.jpg

It's normally rears get pitted.

• 4 weeks later...