vRS PD 170 - engine management software disk & part

One advantage of the in-house remap (rather than BlueFin remote) is they do it in concert with a rolling road anaysis and hence each installation has the opportunity to be feedback tweaked/customised (although the cheeky buggers charge £25 if you want a print-out of the validation tests they do!)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you believe I still haven't got my car back? I spoke to the garage Friday afternoon - they said they had fitted the new sensor but were having problems downloading the new software as their computer wouldn't talk to the car's ECU. They weren't sure if this was down to my car or their computer. He thought the latter, but to quote him, "we're a bit stumped"

He also mentioned the DPF light had come on, even though the soot content in the DPF was only 37%. Because of the computer problem they apparently can't turn the light off or download the new software, which they are hoping will make the DPF light turn off.

They asked if their technician could take the car home over night, as they though the technician might be able to manually make the light turn off by driving it (and presumably trying to run the DPF generation cycle). Still doesn't help with the software upload problem though.

If they haven't got it sorted by cop today I'm going to ask for a courtesy car or get a hire car through work, as four days without the car is starting to prove inconvenient.

Sorry to hijack this thread BTW!

Got car back - all lights are out. The mechanic managed to get the DPF light off by driving it (not exactly sure, but think had 1/4 of a tank when I dropped it off - when I collected it it was almost on empty. According to OBC only 30 miles left). Wish I'd taken the mileage when I took it in.

They didn't manage to update the software - they think it maybe wouldn't upload because its already running the latest version. Sounds odd to me they can't tell what version its currently running, but at least I've got it back.

Cheers

Mine is having the Update work carried out now, as well as the DPF Unit replaced.

Odd thing is, (well, not odd considering the dealers its with) they are saying they only saw the bulletin last week... Though i see it mentioned here early august?

Hopefully be back with it by weekend...

I've just had my car back today, but without the ECU Flash - the rest has been carried out though. I have to return once the dealership take delivery of the CD with the update. So a week or two apparently... hmmm

When the car goes into its regeneration cycle, do you notice anything ? Does it make more noise, smoke from the exhaust etc ?

Apart from the light in the dash, no.

I do notice I drive more sensibly ;) (but that is simply a factor of leaving the engine at 2k+ rpm on cruise control for ten mins for the soot oxidation to complete, before the soot build-up, I mean fun begins again!)

The warning lamp comes on at 80% full, but limp-mode does not kick-in until 95% AFAIK, then you get significantly reduced fueling and low power to protect the DPF)

My car has always cleared the DPF in 10 mins / 10 miles and carried on as normal.

Apart from the light in the dash, no.

I do notice I drive more sensibly ;) (but that is simply a factor of leaving the engine at 2k+ rpm on cruise control for ten mins for the soot oxidation to complete, before the soot build-up, I mean fun begins again!)

The warning lamp comes on at 80% full, but limp-mode does not kick-in until 95% AFAIK, then you get significantly reduced fueling and low power to protect the DPF)

My car has always cleared the DPF in 10 mins / 10 miles and carried on as normal.

Strange. Mine regenerates about once a fortnight, but I've not once seen a single blink from any warning light...

The light wont come on, when it is a normal regeneration cycle. You may notice a bit lumpier enginenoise, consumption at idle is higher and throttleresponse is altered (can be a bit delayed or jerkier).

Normally the light shouldnt come on. Only if a couple of started cycles havent been completed and the soot level is over a certain percentage.

Light comes on at a soot level of 60%, at 75% engine will go in limpmode and at 90% the filter isnt reparable anymore.

Regenerating will take place if the engine runs at at least 2000 to a max of 3250rpms. Not above and not below these rpms.

You can regenerate in 3rd at just above 2000rpms, but mostly it is more comfortable to stay in 6th at about 2250 (motorways, less risk that someone make you brake).

At last! The news I've been waiting for - my car is just starting to display the symptoms of the exhaust pressure sensor going again (this will be the third time in 45k miles!). Will have to give my dealership a call and get this done - was starting to get a bit concerned about this especially as my car will be out of warranty before long...

• 2 weeks later...

My car has developed a hesitation/stutter, can get as bad as 'kangaroo fuel' at times, when on light throttle at c. 1500 - 2000rpm during the 'warm up period' i.e. after starting and until water temperature reaches 'normal'. I have booked it into my dealer for next week for a diagnostic investigation and will ask them about the DPF sensor upgrade (although this was changed back in June).

In the meantime I have the opportunity to get a remap done and am considering Revo, Superchips (Bluefin) or p-torque.

They all produce similar results c. 200-205 bhp and 300 lb ft but whilst p-torque is easily the cheapest, Superchips Bluefin seems to be the simplest to deal with, particularly if Skoda keep producing 'flash upgrades' etc.

Any comments?

Hi,

since you already have some intake mods, I'd surely go for a custom remap and I'm not sure Bluefin would cope with that, wouldn't it?

Fair point and generally agreed, but I would suspect that the custom remap potential provided by my 57i intake, is limited by the constraints imposed by the DPF.

A generic Revo or Bluefin remap would I expect 'work' fine with the 57i but will still only produce the 200-205 bhp level or perhaps 2-3 bhp more. If anything (my theory) the 57i intake, by providing more air, will reduce the possibility of soot build up in the DPF

Confused; :confused: perhaps.

My experience with SuperChips is very positive. If you have any troubles or dislikes in your mapping, you can contact them. They have already rewritten a couple of my maps. Maybe you could also tell them your modifications so they can write a mapping more suitable.

Just contact them and ask.

My Bluefin comes from JKM, Kate was so nice to send it to Germany (with the offer of a GreenFilter :thumbup:).

@Bahnstormer, just ask the guys from SC, they are very fast with their replies.

Just been in to my dealer following a game with the DPF light which turns out to be a faulty exhaust sensor. They are expecting the new management software update "today" (why they have to wait for Postman Pat to bring it in this day and age is beyond me!). They told me that there was a recall for this fault and just replacing the sensor wouldn't fix the problem. They also said that there was no change of part number for the sensor. Could this indicate there is some fault in the engine management software which is lunching the sensor?

My car has developed a hesitation/stutter, can get as bad as 'kangaroo fuel' at times, when on light throttle at c. 1500 - 2000rpm during the 'warm up period' i.e. after starting and until water temperature reaches 'normal'. I have booked it into my dealer for next week for a diagnostic investigation and will ask them about the DPF sensor upgrade (although this was changed back in May).

Any comments?

Had my car looked at today. No fault codes pointing to the hesitation/stutter but my dealer has done;-

Recall 26E6, which gives an ECU software update, primarily around the DPF operation, but perhaps other tweaks, and they fitted a new modified/upgraded Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor part no. 03G 906 051A

Only driven a few miles back to the office but it seems that the tickover is now smoother/quieter and on gentle part throttle acceleration in 1st & 2nd (i.e. from rest in heavy traffic) it feels like there is a moderation of power up to 2,000rpm; not tried higher throttle inputs yet, I'll have to wait until I go home and the roads are quieter.

So far, so good.

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahnstormer vrs viewpost.gif

Recall 26E6

or

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahnstormer vrs viewpost.gif

Campaign 26E6

I was told 'Recall' by the Service Manager; but I take it from earlier posts in this thread that it is actually a 'Campaign'.

Had my car looked at today. No fault codes pointing to the hesitation/stutter but my dealer has done;-

Recall 26E6, which gives an ECU software update, primarily around the DPF operation, but perhaps other tweaks, and they fitted a new modified/upgraded Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor part no. 03G 906 051A

Only driven a few miles back to the office but it seems that the tickover is now smoother/quieter and on gentle part throttle acceleration in 1st & 2nd (i.e. from rest in heavy traffic) it feels like there is a moderation of power up to 2,000rpm; not tried higher throttle inputs yet, I'll have to wait until I go home and the roads are quieter.

So far, so good.

Had a mare of a journey home last night with 8 miles of congested, stop/start urban traffic (NW London) but a reasonable spin up the Motorway. Drove into work this morning with a more free running traffic flow (as usual). Certainly varied traffic conditions to test the 'ECU software upgrade'.

Comments are;

Mid and upper range, 2,500 to 4,500rpm there is no discernible difference to before just a good strong wave of power and torque

Low range 1,250 to 2,500rpm there is a BIG difference. It feels like the fundamental profile and character of the ECU map has been changed for one that is more progressive and smoother than before whilst retaining strong 'pull'; for the better. It is much more driveable.

Let me explain. Previously the power/torque delivery up to 2,500rpm was all or nothing. Moving away from rest, or accelerating from 10mph in 2nd, you would have to use a big throttle input to cover the hole in power/torque to get going, but you then got a Tsunami of torque and had to back off the throttle to slow the acceleration or stop wheelspin.

Now, there is positive power/torque from an initial light to moderate throttle application, which is then (if you keep the same throttle input) moderated to provide smooth and progressive acceleration. I have very quickly felt you can now pull away from rest with confidence that you will get a smooth, progressive take-off as opposed to previously either languishing in a hole of no power OR being thrust forward in a blaze of revs and wheelspin (even with ESP switched on).

Overall I feel like I have a new car. How it has been achieved I could only speculate but it would be interesting to see a power/torque graph from a rolling road to compare it to before. I've only driven 50 miles so far and will have to adapt my driving style to the new map but I'm sure it is for the better. Well done Skoda!

My one gripe about the whole scenario is that I had to take my car to a dealer with a 'fault' for them to fix it with the Remap and new Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor, rather than the car being 'recalled'; but, hey, its done now and I'm happy.

Two final points;

1. Has anyone else who has had this remap/software upgrade done noticed a difference? and

2. If you have a vRS TDI and have not had it done; get onto your dealer TODAY and book your car in for Recall/Campaign 26E6

Low range 1,250 to 2,500rpm there is a BIG difference. It feels like the fundamental profile and character of the ECU map has been changed for one that is more progressive and smoother than before whilst retaining strong 'pull'; for the better. It is much more driveable.

Let me explain. Previously the power/torque delivery up to 2,500rpm was all or nothing. Moving away from rest, or accelerating from 10mph in 2nd, you would have to use a big throttle input to cover the hole in power/torque to get going, but you then got a Tsunami of torque and had to back off the throttle to slow the acceleration or stop wheelspin.

Now, there is positive power/torque from an initial light to moderate throttle application, which is then (if you keep the same throttle input) moderated to provide smooth and progressive acceleration. I have very quickly felt you can now pull away from rest with confidence that you will get a smooth, progressive take-off as opposed to previously either languishing in a hole of no power OR being thrust forward in a blaze of revs and wheelspin (even with ESP switched on).

Overall I feel like I have a new car. How it has been achieved I could only speculate but it would be interesting to see a power/torque graph from a rolling road to compare it to before. I've only driven 50 miles so far and will have to adapt my driving style to the new map but I'm sure it is for the better. Well done Skoda!

I am glad you have noticed this, I thought it might have been my imagination. Especially as I dropped my car off for the sensor remap on a Thursday and due to bodyshop work aswell I did not get the car back until the next Wednesday and had been driving a petrol MR2 for the week.

I thought it was much better pull low down, and they had removed the slightly stuttery bridge from non-turbo to turbo region (ie the 1,900/2,000 rpm ridge). It seemed much more responsive and more refined/smooth low down.

Ultimately, it was not too much quicker as the rest of the rev range is unaffected AFAI can tell.

I even considered not having the SuperChips remapped as it was such as sweet engine now and I didn't want to ruin it.

But I was convined by SC that their map overlays the original, plus the fact I had already bought the SC map and you can't ignore outright

P O W E R ! - the SC remap has now been reloaded.

But I genuinely miss the ease of driving of the new standard map, it felt like the cat had been removed or some other blockage/constriction in its breething.

Both before and after SC I think the power is more progressive, as previous pedal to the metal driving, especially with some steering lock on during non-turbo to turbo region would result in wheelspin and the requirement to back off. No such requirement now :D

Seconded: get your PD down to Skoda ASAP and get a free new car!