MAF Sensor

Just been to the dealer to check a problem with my Octy VRS.

It's been chugging along for a while now :(, and I thought that I would get it checked out.

They had a look and checked it over. Surprisingly they didn't find anything on the VAG COM software, but recon that there is a problem with the MAF Sensor.

Does this sound right, and is it a common problem? The guy said that he had a customer that went through 4 in a year in a Golf. And that also having a K&N doesn't help with the oil that gets into the system.

It will only bring the MIL light on if the sensor goes outside the ECMs programmed parameters. There's every chance the air flow sensor could be at fault and not bring the lamp on. Usual signs are a lack of power when accelerating or going uphill. You might hit 40mph and it would feel as though you're thottling down even though you're trying to accelerate. It might be a good idea to change it anyway, as they're not as expensive now as they were a couple of years ago.

Also they are a common problem area.......

So buying the K&N was a waste of money. Is it worth even buying a filter other than for sound puposes, or does it actually give any performance benifits. Would it be woth changing to something like a typhoon kit?

It feels as though the car is trying to pull back a bit when keeping at the same speed or when I take my foot off of the accelerator. I'll check out unplugging the MAF later and see what happens.

The oil on MAF stories are old wifes tails, unless of course you immerse them in oil. There just isn't enough oil from a filter to do any damage, it's just an excuss Skoda use to justify selling you a new one. The biggest oil based problem comes from naff turbo oil seals blowing oil directly onto the MAF. The biggest killer of MAF's is water intake. Thousands will tell you different though.

If you are that worried about it buy a green cotton drop in filter as they do not require oil.

The oil on MAF stories are old wifes tails, unless of course you immerse them in oil. There just isn't enough oil from a filter to do any damage, it's just an excuss Skoda use to justify selling you a new one. The biggest oil based problem comes from naff turbo oil seals blowing oil directly onto the MAF. The biggest killer of MAF's is water intake. Thousands will tell you different though.

If you are that worried about it buy a green cotton drop in filter as they do not require oil.

Agreed! Absolutely nothing wrong with a K&N, it's all talk.

Done 20k miles with mine now and it's been great (and 120k+ in my last car). It's in no way for sound, it's just better than the budget paper item in terms of build quality and performance.

Best filters about.

Oooh good call

Yes K&N are the market leaders in air filters

I doubt they would get that reputation from causing problems with MAFS

As has been said , there are many things under the bonnet that can cause the problem , air filter is NOT one of them

But the Carbonio`s do sound good (understatement from me) , look very very nice and give a bit of BHP and better throttle response

Sarah

I guess it's just dealer trying to cash in as usual.

Cheers sarah. Just got the order confo from you. Looking forward to fitting and hearing the improvement.

No problem my dear

We are chasing up the Carbonio`s on a daily basis

So hopefully the pppssst tish will be yours soon ;)

Sarah

it's a loss of power.

Also when accelerating its sluggish and jerky (it's like the accelerator is being pushed in and out slightly), like its a bit on kangaroo juice.

When holding at a speed it jerks too. I can feel it almost all of the time.

Changing gear it jerks into gear too. Can't seem to get a smooth gear change without really trying.

It happens pre and post tubo kicking in. Skoda said it was the MAF, now replaced and I hope they will do something of a re-fund until they find out the real culprit. The car is still under warranty too. I will get them to check all the pipes for leaks.

They seem to like putting it on the VAG com software and telling me there is nothing wrong with it. This happened last time when I had the coolant light constantly coming on after starting the car. They didn't do anything until the EML came on and then they replaced the sensor. It wasted about 4 months of going to them and telling them that this was the case.

When will REAL mechanics ever get employed again??

I had a similar problem to what you described. Try cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner. I did (as instructed by the guys here) and it cleared all of the jerkiness. In fact it has never idled so smooth since I had the car