I reduced the road noise with just...

...a bit of old carpet!

Having done a bit of searching it appears a lot of the noise is coming from the boot area. So, I decided to have a go at reducing it for nowt. I cut a circle of old carpet out a bit bigger than the tyre and put it under the spare. I then cut a couple of pieces to go under the spare wheel cover/carpet, over the spare.

I'm sure this has reduced the road noise quite a bit. It's not gone, but it sounds more like it's coming from the front now.

Give it a try! It costs nothing if you have odd bits of carpet in the loft like I have!

As for the noise from the front I think some new tyres are in order. So, any recommendations? Please?

Cheers,

RDX :thumbup:

Fair enough Jonno, but I've just changed from a VW Passat and believe me the Octavia has far more road noise!

It's the only thing that dissapoints me about the car. My friends tell me it's partly the Continental tyres I have on my car. Maybe you have better tyres.

Cheers,

RDX

I used to have ContiSport 2s but changed them for Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas.

I wouldn't have said the road noise was any worse or better than on my TT or Golf (although on the TT it would have been drowned out by an awesome sounding V6 :)).

I'd say quite a bit of soundproofing is needed in the footwells and center exhaust tunnel too.

Hi, when driving my estate I seem to hear most of noise coming from front of car and from roof (over 150Km/h), presuming from roofbars.

Thank you for the hint on the "carpet in the boot", I'll give it a try:D

I agree, doing under the rear bench and floor pan makes a difference. I however can't be doing with taking the carpets all up.

isnt there a spray on the market or a paint that you paint inside the wheel arches to lessen the noise? thought i was told about it years ago but personally not seen any.

I used a quilted mattress cover spread out within the spare wheel well and then over the boot floor; seemed to work for me! I also have a piece of spare carpet cut to shape on the boot floor, more to protect the OE carpet, but I'm sure this helps too.

Friend of mine mentioned this a while ago but I never seen anything that fit the discription. My Mk3 GTI used to be awful for road noise...

isnt there a spray on the market or a paint that you paint inside the wheel arches to lessen the noise? thought i was told about it years ago but personally not seen any.

I used a quilted mattress cover spread out within the spare wheel well and then over the boot floor; seemed to work for me! I also have a piece of spare carpet cut to shape on the boot floor, more to protect the OE carpet, but I'm sure this helps too.

ive heard of carpet before being used, my mate did his sierra boot out with thick house carpet and it seemed pretty quiet.

I had my front doors lined with this stuff, when I upgraded speakers:

10 Ft eDead Original Sound Proofing Deadening Dynamat on eBay, also, Other In-Car Ents GPS, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 06-Sep-08 18:53:30 BST)

I'd recommend it and might get some more, to do the wheel well and boot floor, as well as underneath the rear seats.

Steve

I had my front doors lined with this stuff, when I upgraded speakers:

10 Ft eDead Original Sound Proofing Deadening Dynamat on eBay, also, Other In-Car Ents GPS, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 06-Sep-08 18:53:30 BST)

I'd recommend it and might get some more, to do the wheel well and boot floor, as well as underneath the rear seats.

Steve

Seems cheaper than Dynamat.