Ex Police Octy VRS

Has anyone ever bought an ex-police Octy VRS? I'm looking for a VRS and these seem too good to be true - I know they're big miles but the prices are dirt cheap. Or has anyone driven one for their work - are they just used and abused and sold on when they're worn out and not worth touching, as £2.5K for a 2004 car seems like a lot of car for not a lot of money..... Also, are Estates unwanted as they seem to be cheaper than the hatchbacks???

Welcome to the forum

People say the same about ex demos, but mine has been great since owning.

Good points are full servicing and no cost spared on repairs. I would buy one, but with a bit of change in my back pocket incase some work needs doing.

I wouldn't touch one either but many on here own them without problems.

I imagine they have, in reality, had pretty moderate use and should be no worse mechanically than any other car of similar mileage. Expect holes in the dash etc. though.

In Hampshire we use them as unmarked cars for the traffic department. Means they GENERALLY get better looked after than normal response cars; although they do get driven to the limit on a daily basis.

The other thing is, a lot of policeman are FAT, and don't care about the seat bolsters too much, so they tend to be squashed. On the plus side, they are regularly maintained using genuine parts, and above all they are dead cheap.

the other advantage is that if you buy one locally, all the local chavs will think you're the plod and slow down when they see you. (Although this might make the car a target for vandals too...)

Personally, I WOULD buy one, if it was cheap enough...

try the web site Ex police car - Direct sales of high performance used cars

Thay sometime have Octy vrs on there.

I would get one. Def have a look round it first but there well worth it as jonnycatbiscuit stated there always serviced and maintained to the highest standard and there so cheep. I had a v70 T5 ex-police car it had done 115k miles on a 03 plate for £4000 and i had no problems with it at all.:thumbup:

My father bought an ex police car many years ago. Apart from the over squashed seats it was a good buy. He also found things tucked away behind the (non-tilting) rear seat squab! Presumably pushed in there by suspects in the back.

If the price is right then they're often worth a shot IMHO.

Check the body very carefully, under the boot floor and where possible behind the bumpers.

Remember that they tend to get pushed from cold and are rarely allowed to cool down before being switched off. On the other hand they are serviced very well, so it's swings and roundabouts. Buying a used vRS will always be risky due to the nature of the car.... Personally I would rather buy one which has been driven enthusiastically by a police driver rather than one which has been thrashed by a numpty.

I've had ex police cars before now, in fact, the most reliable car I have ever owned was a 140,000 mile ex traffic car.

I would judge each car on its own merits.

try the web site Ex police car - Direct sales of high performance used cars

Thay sometime have Octy vrs on there.

I would get one. Def have a look round it first but there well worth it as jonnycatbiscuit stated there always serviced and maintained to the highest standard and there so cheep. I had a v70 T5 ex-police car it had done 115k miles on a 03 plate for £4000 and i had no problems with it at all.:thumbup:

Anyone spotted the Passat on there, thats a stack load of car for the money

Ex police car special offers - Direct sales of high performance used cars

My ex-police car has been wonderful since i've owned it, and so far nothing has gone wrong (touch wood). As mentioned the paintwork may not have been looked after as well, also holes in the dash and plastics, holes in the bodywork, check for service history.

Luckily mine only came with a few holes in the dash which are hardly noticable, a couple of scratches which after a polish and wax disapear. With the prices they can be picked up I certainly wouldn't dismiss them. Then again depends how much money you have. but 2-3k you could get yourself one in decent nick and pennies for any repairs, touchups, remaps ;) I use my as a daily by the way, I do 35+ miles a day to work and have been on a couple long trips which have been 500+ miles in a week.

To sum up, I would definately consider another ex-police car but as VRSphil says, judge each car by its own merits.

Hope that helps and good luck with your search.

Cheers for all the comments - it was what I thought, if the price is right they're worth a punt. At least you know they will have been used hard - with a normal used car you never know. I suppose you're better with one that was doing the chasing rather than one that was being chased.....

I'll start hunting properly, fancy an estate :)