Might we see Power/Gas cuts this Winter?

Lady Elanore

You lucky camper ! :rofl:

Obtained new 10kg bottle for the twin burner stove this summer and at French prices (2/3 English). I won't bother stowing the stove and sleeping bag in the loft then !

Alternatively, why sit in the UK shivering or paying the EC1 sponsored **** Turpin's a small fortune ! Take all your leave over Xmas go to Spain for the winter !

Nick.

If it appears they will sell it to the French or anyone outside of the UK we should riot.

Personally find a UK company interested in agreeing to buy a certain amount of power per year from BE. Give BE the sweeter of the fuel for some government control and we build a reprocessing plant for the old fuel. Suddenly all the new plants become a lot more viable when there are minimal fuel bills.

If it appears they will sell it to the French or anyone outside of the UK we should riot.

Personally find a UK company interested in agreeing to buy a certain amount of power per year from BE. Give BE the sweeter of the fuel for some government control and we build a reprocessing plant for the old fuel. Suddenly all the new plants become a lot more viable when there are minimal fuel bills.

We've not been spectacularly successful at that in the past and I wouldn't hold my hopes up for the future.

Interesting topic. I don't see why there would be any supply problems, save some unknown disaster such as a industrial accident. In fact with prices going up would we be using less? This is one reason why oil prices are coming down - with the price so high people have been making less journeys and driving sensibly so less petrol and diesel sold. Also with the world economy in a bit of a state it is likely that with people spending less, manufacturing lowers and hence less fuel is used, driving the prices down.

They could probably organise a good riot, unlike us lot... or we could just get the french in :D

I got lost at the terrorist and waste stage :confused:

My previous comment was to the effect that the British nuclear industry wasn't a spectacular success

I got lost at the terrorist and waste stage :confused:

My previous comment was to the effect that the British nuclear industry wasn't a spectacular success

Ahh I thought you meant we were no good at Riots.

The industry only got shafted when the government decided it wouldn't pay for something they said they would, it got leaked and there was a run on the shares.:thumbdwn:

• 13 years later...

This being winter in Australia they might well see brownouts. 

We will see how the UK UK gets on as the Government asks the West Burton Coal Fired Power Stations to stay open rather than closing down in October to boost security.

They are looking at 2 other plants they want to stay open. 

Would not be surprised to see Brown Outs or even scheduled shut downs of areas for odd hours at a time.

Natural gas has reacted last couple of days with Russia shutting off most of the natural gas to Western Europe and a fire has shut down much of the exports of LNG from the US.

I have bought 4 battery back up devices (solar generators with batteries, DC/AC invertors, solar controllers) totally around 3 kWh and intend to get that up to over 10 kWh by October, that is where my £400 is going on.  Need to get a micro-turbine too to generate and be able to store enough for 12 hours or more needs.  Wonder if the Con government will do what they did during the 1970s outages by sending a little printed spreadsheet table through the post as to when you will and will not have power ?

image.thumb.png.967a01da4a8cd98275312b5e4a6dc7be.png

Back to 2008 when there was the global financial crisis or even similar to the UK winters of discontent 1978/79, strikes and power cuts but then surely not under this government where we have never had it so good!. 

Edited by roottoot

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

Back to 2008 when there was the global financial crisis or even similar to the UK winters of discontent 1978/79, strikes and power cuts but then surely not under this government where we have never had it so good!. 

Power cuts were first in around 1972 I recall, under Ted Heath Con government, when miners and other workers went on strike and coal could not get to the power stations.  Common mis-conception that strikes and power outages were under the Labour government when it was the Cons.  The cost of the strike was something like one hundred times the cost of coming to a close to inflation pay deal that could and should have been struck. 

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/1972/feb/16/fromthearchive

Blackouts will total nine hours daily

Wed 16 Feb 1972 -The Central Electricity Generating Board announced last night that disconnections would increase from 10 percent to 15 per cent from this morning. The high risk areas will now spend nine hours without electricity.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

Time will tell how well the UK has arranged the Coal, Liquid Gas and Wood pellet deliveries to the UK and handling at the ports and transport by rail to where it is needed.

Michael, Steve, Kwasi, Paul, Grant, Jacob, Brandon, Liz, Alok, Anne-Marie & even Rishi will need to have their mind and departments / staff on the ball.

Never mind  COP26 and all the b0llocks that it was about, just keep the lights on and things rolling along.

7 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Time will tell how well the UK has arranged the Coal, Liquid Gas and Wood pellet deliveries to the UK and handling at the ports and transport by rail to where it is needed.

Michael, Steve, Kwasi, Paul, Grant, Jacob, Brandon, Liz, Alok, Anne-Marie & even Rishi will need to have their mind and departments / staff on the ball.

Never mind  COP26 and all the b0llocks that it was about, just keep the lights on and things rolling along.

One hopes so as people have so much food that is refrigerated and any more than a few hours blackout could cause massive problems. 

• Like 1

Don't worry Boris has said this winter will be warm.
Rishi says not to worry and just turn up the heating using your personal hydro electric schemes.

Michael Fabricant suggests that you should become a millionaire or a Tory MP then your bills don't matter ad if you are hungry just head to your nearest subsidised canteen.

Our ASHP heating and hot water uses something like 20kWh per year. That's a lot of solar panels and batteries.

The house isnt even very warm with that going.

If the power goes off we'll be heating the house with the log burner

Edited by Aspman

@Aspman My Electric car uses 20 kWh just to travel 60 miles.    Having you got your figures right? 

20 kWh might just take me 30 miles when the weather is at it's coldest. 

If Tesco or some councils are still doing free electric this winter and the power is not off i will be charging stuff in my car, cookling and maybe sleeping with the heating turned up high.

Those with EV's that have 3 pin sockets might be topping there batteries up for free and going home and powering whatever at home. 

Maybe compact one room living in their Caravan while they sell their home / homes.

DSCN1460.JPG

DSCN1461.JPG

Edited by roottoot

30 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Our ASHP heating and hot water uses something like 20kWh per year. That's a lot of solar panels and batteries.

The house isnt even very warm with that going.

If the power goes off we'll be heating the house with the log burner

20 Mega Watts or can we have in Joules ie 70 GJ.

• Like 1