spark plugs ---help!!!

sms

dsc01241ov4.th.jpgthpix.gif

i have just taken out the spark plugs to find the ones i got today are not as long. do the fsi and tfsi have different length spark plugs or can these shorter ones be used with not much difference the ones from mr fish say VW AG Bosch on them but its because they are shorter that i havent put them in yet.

cheers

no probs, i took one look at the size of them and decided to halt as alarm bells were ringing in my head, so i thought i would ask the briskoda family. looks like im off to halfrauds tomorrow then.

so by changing the plugs i wont actually benefit then?

VAG's recommendations will be based on ££££££ of development and testing and they arent going to say a component will last longer than it should as they would surely loose out at service time and be open for the possibility of higher warranty claims. ;)

Lee

• 1 month later...

Funny enough I've been quoted spark plugs from 4 different makers earlier today and didn't know which one to choose from. All ranged from 10 to 14 euros a piece, so a grand total of 40 to 56 euros plus labour.

Other sources on the net show the 1.6 FSI uses regular spark plugs as well. The NGK catalog being one, IIRC.

Bump.

The Octi uses NGK ZFR6S-Q plugs that come pre-gapped and have 4 ground electrodes a piece.

To replace:

Remove engine cover by removing the air duct near-right, 2 sensors far right. Take advantage of this and change the air filter, it's just 6 more screws to undo.

With the cover off the coil packs and wires are visible. With a flat blade screw driver release all the tabs holding the wires in place so you have more freedom to move.

Gently wedge something beneath the coil packs and lift out one by one.

Replace spark plug torqueing each one accordingly, or tightening 1/2 turn after snug. Replace engine cover and drive car.

I didn't manage to unscrew the plugs in mine today as they are VERY tight, and will give it another go in the morning, dead cold which should hopefully help. I broke 3 spark plug wrenches today, so I am going to get a bit for the ratchet and extension arm tomorrow and try again.

I'd give this job a 2/5 difficulty rating. Very little tools necessary and no crawling under car, unless you are sloppy and drop the bolts. Something you can very easily do in 30 minutes in the parking lot.

Hope somebody will find this useful.

• Like 1

Forgot to update this. After a night's soak in penetrating fluid and the engine cold over night (4-5C outside nowadays) I managed to undo them.

There is some soot deposit forming on the tapered edge, so changing them earlier if you're mostly doing city driving is a good idea, otherwise you might end up cracking them in the cam cover.