suggestions for car care shopping list

jifster

Hey guys, should have my new Black vRS in a couple of weeks and i'm after some tips of what I should have on my shopping list of things to buy to take care of the beast when it arrives to keep it clean and shiny.

This is my 1st car at the grand old age of 38 as I have always hired so please be patient with me and suggest even the basics and things that make the task easier. Did I read somewhere about trouble keeping the grey upholstery clean and using Scotch Guard to protect it? Is that just in a can and you spray it all over? :o

How about some tips on what to use as soap and what not to use. I told the girlfriend to have her fairy liquid, big sponge and t-shirt ready but I could always cancel :P

If you really want to look after it contact Mark Underwood (the Wax Wizzard) & get hime to do one of his new car valets, that will seal the paint etc, treat the interior & give you a fantastic basis for looking after the car. He also does an excelent range of car care products. If you trawl around this site you will find various recomendations to his talents & products.

Best way to contact him is on the mobile 07966 713177

The first question you need to ask yourself is " Do you want your car to look like every other surface scratched car out there".

If not, then you will need to invest in some decent products to keep the body looking nice. shiny and swirl marks free (as much as possible).

I would also recommend Wax Wizard and his products.

But what ever you use....do not use Fairy Liquid..ever. (or any washing up liquid)

But what ever you use....do not use Fairy Liquid..ever. (or any washing up liquid)

Shampoo should always be detergent free, sounds silly but "proper "car shampoo is, detergent removes wax which means all your hard work is ruined the first time you wash the car

Shampoo should always be detergent free, sounds silly but "proper "car shampoo is, detergent removes wax which means all your hard work is ruined the first time you wash the car

Ok thanks for the info guys. It seems I have a lot to learn. :rolleyes:

Not sure I can afford a personal visit from Mark but I will contact him and find out about any cleaning kits he provides and hopefully some kind of instructions for novices.

jifster

Taken from my Sticky in the Car Care section of UK-Polos.net:

Here's your shopping list if you want a VERY shiny car:

Bucket (Josh recommends a Swissol Flat-Pack Bucket from John Wintle (sp?))

Wash Mit (Josh recommends the Meguires Lambswool Wash Mit)

Shampoo (Josh recommends Zymol Shampoo from Halfords)

Blade (Josh recommends Turtle Wax Blade from Halfords)

"Chamois" (Josh recommends a Meguires Microfibre Drying Towel)

Clay Bar (Josh recommends a 3M Perfect It III Cleaner Clay available from Josh!)

Compound (Josh recommends 3M Pefect It III Fine Compound available from Josh!)

Glaze (Josh recommends 3M Imperial Hand Glaze available from Josh!)

Wax (Josh recommends Zymol Titanium Wax available from www.zymol.co.uk)

Cloths (Josh recommends Autoglym Perfect Polishing Cloths for the Compound and Glaze - available from Halfords, and a Zymol Microfibre Cloth for buffing the Zymol Wax)

If you're serious about your paint, the above will make it beautiful. Trust me, I've been searching for the "best" stuff for years and have a shed full of reject stuff as a result. Do yourself a favour and make use of the above list!

:D

Use a lambswool mitt instead of a sponge, much kinder to the paint

Use 2 buckets when washing - one with shampoo and one without, rinse the mitt in the "without" bucket - that way the water you use for washing is always clean

Use a decent shampoo - zymol, meguiars, johnsons baby shampoo

If youre on a budget, buy some zymol cleaner wax from halfords at

I thought the reason for not using Fairy Liquid was that it contained salt?