Leak in boot - 2003 Octavia

3dolls

Have a 2003 Octavia Elegance (no sunroof), bought during the only dry spell of the year, last May. Anyway, turns out theres a leak in the boot. We've spent ages trying to track down the source - took off the lining, discovered the rear-window-washer tube was disconnected and rejoined it. But the leak continues. We've ruled out water entering from underneath, as water gathers overnight when the car is sitting in the driveway.

We've taken off all the plastic trim inside the tailgate and have narrowed down the pool to one area. Spent ages last weekend with the hose, trying to fid the point of ingress, but no joy - I was sitting in the boot observing, while Mr 3dolls hosed down the car. It's looking like the problem is in the way the door is sealing. Hard to be sure though as it doesn't start leaking as soon as we turn on the hose or stop when we turn it off - it seems to start seeping in when the water starts to settle, as if it's pooling somewhere instead of draining away. We opened the boot and poured jugs of water along the side channels and all seem to be draining the water away to the ground. We had heavy rain overnight and there was a huge pool this morning, but even a heavy dew is causing water to gather.

I can pinpoint where the water starts appearing from on the inside but cannot see the source from the outside. We even removed the bumper to make sure there was nothing cracked - no joy. The outside is one sealed piece. Inside there are lots of different metal pieces welded/riveted, and the water is appearing from behind one of these, but we can't see in behind it to trace the water back, nor can we remove the piece of metal. There's no water dripping down from the rim of the tailgate, no water trail from the rear light.

I did see another thread where someone had to get the boot-door adjusted so maybe this is our problem - but I cannot see where the point of ingress is - there's no water on the seal on the door, no water around the lock, etc. Has anyone had this problem and successfully corrected it? We're really frustrated at this stage, and the amount of water getting in on a wet day is such that we have to solve it - at the moment I'm having to mop it out several times a day if it's raining.

Mine sounds like it is suffering from exactly the same problem but unfortunately I haven't had the time to find and fix the source. I may just resort to handing it over to Skoda's guys as it's still under the (extended) warranty. Is this on the left hand side where the CD changer would normally sit?

Hey, thanks for responding! It's a hatch. Yes, the leak is on the lhs. There's no CD changer - there's a kinda lip there that runs back towards the wheel arch, and some of the water is pooling in there, some in the main section, which then runs down into the spare-wheel well. Fortunately there's enough of a slope in the driveway to keep the water from flowing forward so as long as I keep drying it out the boot liner is staying dry. We'll take a look at sealing round the aerial. It's so frustrating cos I can see the spot insode where the water is appearign from, but can't see where it originates! Will keep you posted.

I'd check the rear door seals and look for any trace of water under the rear seat. Place wads of kitchen towel around where the water pools. See which one ends up wet.

As a last report, use insulation tape to seal any possible ingress points. A mate had a similar problem. We sealed around the tailgate to eliminate it as the source. We sealed up the rear nearside door just to eliminate it and the leak stopped. We found that the water ran down the outside of the door seal until it could find a way in.

With a hatch, are you sure it's leaking around something, and not running off the low tray bit when you open the hatch itself? A site search on this forum shuld turn up something on that (never been too interested cos I have an estate).

hi guys i have the same fault but water comes in from a seam under n/s rear light and from roof area, i think i know where its coming in, it seems to seep through boot hinge in the set back area there is some foam to the left which the water soaks through, then works its way to the cd changer area

ive stripped and sealed things a few times but can never fully cure it,i think i have a few pics of me destroying the area (ooops) if they are any help 2 any1 ill post them up,

i know i havent fully cured it but thats where its entering

• 1 month later...

Keen to hear any possible resolution to this problem guys, as I have the same issue but with the estate.

Anyone got any further?

Cheers :thumbup:

P.S. If its of any help, I have been using a borrowed dehumidifier to try and dry things out. Just chuck it in the boot and plug in - leave on full over night. You'll be amazed how much comes out. I had over 4 litres in the tank the other morning :eek:

HTH

• 1 month later...

Re jetwashes - never use them around the seals they are not designed to keep out that kind of pressure.

Another really weird fault I came across once - the cabin pressure vents on the estate are in the right hand panel by the rear lights. if these are blocked by anything stashed away, when the car is moving cabin pressure builds up and can part the door seals allowing water to seep in.

Had water coming into the luggage area of my 1999 estate.....spoke to skoda garage, they suggested the hinge apertures at top . Looked at them and found the weld round the aperture was incomplete (although painted), filled the spaces in the weld with silicon ......leak gone!! [ if you look at these apertures, once the car's been out in rain or just washed , they have a 'level' of water in them]. This problerm may have been sorted in later cars-I don't know.

Another really weird fault I came across once - the cabin pressure vents on the estate are in the right hand panel by the rear lights. if these are blocked by anything stashed away, when the car is moving cabin pressure builds up and can part the door seals allowing water to seep in.

thats interesting, had not thought of that.

• 3 months later...
There is a factory bulletin about the rear washer hose needing a leaky joint sealing around the CD changer area. This could make you think you've got a leak.

Good afternoon,Just seen the above post, I have had a 2nd hand 54 plate Octy hatch for about three weeks now and have noticed a bag I placed in the boot came out wet after I'd tried (unsuccessfully) to use the rear washer. Sounds like I might have this problem, can you tell me more about the washer hose problem and the bulletin?Cheers,Ed

under the rear speaker on the pass side there are some plastic tops that need unscrewin mate, do that and pull back the carpet, you might need to rremove the CD changer if fitted. under there is one place the pipe pops off mate. youll see it it is a black pipe with a cup type thing on one end and the other sits in the cup lol. think its a preasure thing so it doesnt damage anything.

if not there mate youll need to pull off the boot lid liner lol which I dont know how to do. it could be under there.

also check the spot welds down the sides of the boot as FASTKWAK had a sim prob were one of the welds was not welded properly and leaked due to a daming effect from the boot pistons.

billy

• 8 months later...

Hi guys i,m new to this site, i have a 06 octavia and after it rains i find that the boot is soaking wet , would anyone have any suggestions on how i could solve this, i would be very grateful for any help with this issue , many thanks Dan

left hand side near the changer could well be (as mentioned above) the rear washer pipe as split at a junction. Mine leaked there when the rear jet was frozen over.

just removed both side boot trim panels, and where the wheel arch joins to the boot chassis, there are puddles at each side....

any suggestions?got nearly all of the trim out to see if we can see it coming in anywhere, but this seems only obvious wet point of the car...

Ok Folks, I have spent weeks trying to locate source of leak in hatch boot.

First I had both sides leaking by the CD changer and side net. I noticed the tailgate shock weld point had a slight crack in the paint so sealed that with black tigerseal(will be painted soon) This seems a common problem as mentioned ealier. That solved the right hand side leak where the netting is.

The other side proved difficult to find, checked hinges and selaed them as best as could, still leaked. Removed head linning and ariel and resealed that, still leaked.

checked washer hose from rear seat to wiper asm and no leaks found in the piping. Still leaking somewhere.

Then i noticed a small drop of water coming from the rubber boot seal. and dropping just over the CD changer. This depended on how I was parked. Turns out that although the rubber seal was intact and good condition it was not a very good tight fit over the metal lip on the boot. This allowed water to get in from the pool of water that sits in the channel close to where the hatch alignment rubber stops are. Water was able to get under the loose fitting rubber seal and over the metal lip and drop into boot. I could not believe how that small leak would cause so much water in boot , but a little leak over time and with the rain over the past few months and no warm dry day was enough.

I tiger sealed the rubber boot seal in the groove and replaced it on car. And bingo no more leaks.

Edited by Bowders1

Thanks bowders1. Is "tiger seal" a brand name, or a local generic for something? Either way, what sort of stuff is it? I seem to have a similarish leak but less developed.

Tiger seal is a brand name for this type of automotive sealant that is the same stuff car manufactures use to bond/seal metal components together that is waterproof and paintable. Best stuff out there. Once it has cured it will not come off. Good for fitting spoilers and stuff too. Held my old Scooby WRC rear spolier in place without screws.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=3319

And a cheaper link to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TIGER-SEAL-ADHESIVE-SEALANT-BLACK_W0QQitemZ350159959790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item518728f6ee

Edited by Bowders1