aubrey

Am I missing something here. I just booked my Roomster in for its 1st year service. Occording to the service schedule that is an Oil and Filter Change and a diagnostic check.

I have run Vag-Com last weekend and that says no faults on a full scan, so what exactly costs £160 ?

I've always done my own servicing so I'm a bit shocked, they can have 2 goes at it and then the warrenty period will be over and it is back to me.

I'm just shocked how the work required can justify £160, I would be surprised if it even took an hour to do that.

The filters (oil, air, pollen & fuel) from Skoda for a 130 Superb are just under £55, plus £45ish for 4L of oil.

So you have by the looks of it:

1hrs labour £60

parts £100

Not sure all the filters would be changed on a first service tho'.

Am I missing something here. I just booked my Roomster in for its 1st year service. Occording to the service schedule that is an Oil and Filter Change and a diagnostic check.

I have run Vag-Com last weekend and that says no faults on a full scan, so what exactly costs £160 ?

I've always done my own servicing so I'm a bit shocked, they can have 2 goes at it and then the warrenty period will be over and it is back to me.

I'm just shocked how the work required can justify £160, I would be surprised if it even took an hour to do that.

I paid just under £90 for mine last week, 1.9TDi at Freeborn Skoda in Southampton. £30 odd for labour, £30 for the oil, a bit more for sump plug and something they cleaned the brake discs with.

They told me that it's listed at about a 40 minute job. They also washed and vacuumed it at no extra charge.

Stuart

If it's a 10k service and you only have it once a year, it must include an inspection which will bump the price up. You can request that they just do the oil/filters. You don't need air and fuel filters for the 10k, these are both due at 40k.

If you serviced it yourself your still looking at £6 for the oil filter, £16 for the pollen, £2 for the sump plug (All OEM) and anywhere between £25 and £35 for oil of the right spec making it between £49 and £59 for the parts alone.

Do you have to replace the sump plug every time you drain the oil ? I've never had to that on any other car.

It's always been good practice to replace the dowty washer if fitted. This is the whole plug and the dealer will stock them

New Fabia 1.4 TDI first service ( 1 2 3 ) check out this thread, page 1 fabia 2 site,my fabia 1.9 td cost £87 collected ,Octavia Scout lent for day delivered back by service manager , job,s agood,un cheers Mellyboy

I live in Barkingside, just down the road, so I guess I have that to look forward to in about a year (got my car just last week).

As part of the finance package, I have free servicing for 3 years. I will have to read the small print to see if it covers parts and labour....

If you serviced it yourself your still looking at £6 for the oil filter, £16 for the pollen, £2 for the sump plug (All OEM) and anywhere between £25 and £35 for oil of the right spec making it between £49 and £59 for the parts alone.

So you would only save £100. May as well let them do it. :(

Really?

£100 is worth £100. That's £300 a year for me at least.

It was tongue-in-cheek. Isn't that what you were inferring when you said "If you serviced it yourself your still looking at £6 for the oil filter, £16 for the pollen, £2 for the sump plug (All OEM) and anywhere between £25 and £35 for oil of the right spec making it between £49 and £59 for the parts alone."?

Bottom line is they are rip-off merchants. You can get an oil and filter change done at National Tyre service for £20-30. So how Skoda can justify an extra £130 for plugging it into some diagnostic equipment baffles me.

I was quoted £230 only last week by Skoda for a 60k service for my Superb Ed 100. I went to Nationwide Autocentres. A major service, which far exceeded the Skoda one (to include plugs, ALL filters and brake fluid change) and MOT came to £202.11.

I think Skoda take advantage of the fact that a lot of people still think that they have to have servicing done by Skoda to keep their warranty intact. In fact I'm sure they do.

£202.11 for that amount of work? Is that a petrol or a diesel service?

If I were to use non oe parts and do that work myself it would cost me;

Oil filter £5

Fuel Filter £16

Air Filter £8

Pollen Filter £16

Glow plugs £32 @£8 each

Brake Fluid £10

Oil £25

SP £2

Total £114

It would take me about 2 hrs most of which being the plugs. £202.11 is an awesome price including an MOT....However.... Nationwide Autocentres (Which a lot of people won't use because of a very bad reputation) don't use OE parts (Not at £202.11 including a MOT they dont) which could be an issue with anyones warranty before 60k. Your right you could get a oil change done for £20-30 quid but not on a PD engine and not using an OE parts, there is no margin at that price even at trade price for the parts.

Then there is also the fact at 60k you need the Cam belt done which is something I wouldn't trust them to do. (I wouldn't trust them to boil a kettle after the mess they made of the Golf)

Edited by Decron

Since when have glow plugs been a consumable item that is regularly changed on routine service intervals?

They are not. Was just keeping the comparison as plugs were mentioned. I wouldn't change them unless they were faulty.

£202.11 for that amount of work? Is that a petrol or a diesel service?

If I were to use non oe parts and do that work myself it would cost me;

Oil filter £5

Fuel Filter £16

Air Filter £8

Pollen Filter £16

Glow plugs £32 @£8 each

Brake Fluid £10

Oil £25

SP £2

Total £114

It would take me about 2 hrs most of which being the plugs. £202.11 is an awesome price including an MOT....However.... Nationwide Autocentres (Which a lot of people won't use because of a very bad reputation) don't use OE parts (Not at £202.11 including a MOT they dont) which could be an issue with anyones warranty before 60k. Your right you could get a oil change done for £20-30 quid but not on a PD engine and not using an OE parts, there is no margin at that price even at trade price for the parts.

Then there is also the fact at 60k you need the Cam belt done which is something I wouldn't trust them to do. (I wouldn't trust them to boil a kettle after the mess they made of the Golf)

Yes mine's a 1.9 tdi, and I'm afraid I've gotta correct one or two things. It was actually £20 more because he said I had to have long life oil according to his sheets. I also mentioned plugs. I was just looking down the Nationwide list for a major service, spotted 'spark plugs where applicable' and forgot that mine doesn't have them, doh! :o

But even so, £220 for a major service (inc synthetic oil, all filters, brake fluid change and coolant/ anti freeze change) and MOT is still pretty good value. Check the schedule for a major service compared to Skoda http://www.nationwideautocentres.co.uk/pdf/menu_service_schedule.pdf

And the cambelt for the Superb 1.9 tdi is due at 75,000 miles or 4 years. I agree I wouldn't use them for that but how much can you mess up changing oil etc?

PS anyone checking the price needs to take into account freely available discount vouchers which I used to get that price, booking online in advance.

Edited by deek72

And the cambelt for the Superb 1.9 tdi is due at 75,000 miles or 4 years. I agree I wouldn't use them for that but how much can you mess up changing oil etc?

They made an awful mess of my Golf brakes about 4 years ago.

Looking at that schedule the full service which is an annual service (And what you need every year to fulfil the requirements of the warranty) is £139.99 on my Roomster which isn't much under the dealers cost. However the quote of £224.57 for the major service + MOT is a bargin.

And the cambelt for the Superb 1.9 tdi is due at 75,000 miles or 4 years.

Are you sure about that? I know mine was done at 60k (3 years old) by the main dealer (paid for by the lease company who owned the car at the time) just before i bought the car and i was under the impression it was 60k / 4 years.

Are you sure about that? I know mine was done at 60k (3 years old) by the main dealer (paid for by the lease company who owned the car at the time) just before i bought the car and i was under the impression it was 60k / 4 years.

Pretty sure. talked about it at Claybank Skoda a couple of weeks ago when having a couple of pre-warranty expiry jobs done. Also confirmed by Awesome, Irlam. The bloke at Nationwide suggested 60k but checked when I said I had been told 75k and he then said I was correct.

OFFICIAL UPDATE. Skoda Auto Service Schedule Book. Pages 8/12 (fixed/variable servicing) "In addition every 120,000 km - Replace toothed belt (PD engines).

120,000 km=74,564.54 miles.

I would suggest that's pretty definitive.

Edited by deek72