Red Coolant Warning Light BEEP BEEP BEEP!

iamrcb

I've read a few old posts about this problem but i'm still not sure what the solution is.

When I start my car when the engine is cold (in the morning and after work) the temparature / coolant warning light flashes and a loud beep sounds three times. The engine is cold so it is not over heating.

The flashing light will continue until the engine is switched off. If I turn the engine off and on again after driving for a few minutes the light and beeping does not happen.

The coolant level is good and it is not losing coolant. The temperature gauge goes up to the normal position when the engine is warm.

Do I need to replace the coolant level sensor? What does this involve?

Its an 04 VRS

Thanks for your help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is from memory and may be wrong but

i think there is a post about this somewhere on here about this and its caused by corosion on the terminals for the sensor pull the plug out and have a look

im sure thers a fix for it as well but my memory's a bit iffy tonight ;)

:+1: You can reach the sensor probes to try and clean them on certain models, but not on either of our Fabias. You can replace the tank relatively easily without draining the system by clamping the hoses and putting a bung in the bottom outlet of the tank, but I've not done this on mine yet (similar problem), 'cos none of the (non-Skoda) VAG dealers near me have managed to provide me with the correct part ( :confused: ) and there aren't any Skoda dealers near me anymore... :doh:

I dont know if this is happening all the time for you but its happened once or twice to me and after reading the handbook i was under the impression it was too cold and needed to warm up? The same as you though if i turn the engine off and on its fine, both occasions it was very very cold.

my 2p worth hope it helps

Flands

This happened to me at the beginning of the year when it was brass monkeys. On the Octavia you just take the sensor out of the coolant tank and give it a little, gentle brush over with a toothbrush or something. Obviously don't use the toothbrush after, it might not taste too good :P

Hang on, just read another post saying that you can't access the sensor probes on the Fabia? Sometimes just unplugging it and plugging it back in worked. I thinks it' a fairly common thing though and nothing to worry about, just irritating.

Your coolant level is probably just low! The difference between Min and Max is barely half an inch - get some G12 from the dealer and top it up a tad. Mine took about 3-400ml to get to Max and hasn't beeped since.

(Mine also only did it when cold and went away if I 'reset' the engine)

I've been having this problem for yonks. It seemed to go away strangely after having my rolling road session, but now it's back again! Might be a coincidence, but I presumed it was something computery at play??

I've got plenty of coolant, it's half a CM below Max. I've got a replacement "sensor" thing, that kinda looks like a cigarette lighter? from Skoda, but I can't find where to fit it, so I never bothered. Was just gonna take it to Skoda one day for a quick fix if it doesn't cost the earth???

Mines been doing it for the past 6 months but I put this down to the fact we've moved house and the drive is now on a slop. Never happens when the cars flat.

You know now that you've said that you may be right. My driveway is on an ever-so-slight slope, and it usually beeps when I've parked there. But driving home from work (Where the car has spent all day on a level road) and it works without the damned flashing and bleeping!!

Thanks for all your advice

I'll try cleaning the contacts and filling it to just under the max line tomorrow when its cold. I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

If not i'll replace the expansion tank

My driveway is also on a steep slope, I park uphill. The light and beep happens anywhere, even if i've parked on the flat (at work)

My 54 plate Furby vRS has been doing this for a couple weeks since the weather got a bit colder - it doesnt effect the car in the slightest but its starting to get annoying. I bought a new coolant Temp sensor and was going to have a bash this weekend changing using Apogees guide here http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/fabia-coolant-temp-sensor-how/66180/ Anyone know if you have to change the expansion tank as well?

Thanks guys:confused:

Sorry wrong wrong the sensor that gives a warning light and Beebe's is built into the Fab's expansion tank and its not replaceable u have to repalce the tank or do what i did bridge it out:rolleyes:

Ahh man! looks like im in the market for a new expansion tank then, thanks for the info! :thumbup:

This thread is cursed !

This is weird as BEEEEEP ! cos I read this post yesterday and thought oooh how strange and never seen that before.

Low and behold 2 hours later got into my car with the engine stone cold, started it and the exact thing happend to me.

Cursed I tell you, cursed. Well its almost halloween lol

My car is not parked on a slop,but this happened to me after i had the timing belt and water pump done topped it up with a bit more g12 and it stopped,then came on again a fiew weeks later then off ,visual check is the best to do then just drive it:)