whats your TDI MPG

My PD130 gets me a constant 48-52mpg everytank however I have been trying to improve this by adjusting my cruising speed and also how hard I use my right foot and also trying to keep the speed as smooth as possible to allow for less acceleration.

Filled up this morning 608miles to 48l (and NO fuel light yet, indicated 80miles left) which works out to be 57.5mpg :eek: to say I'm chuffed is an understatement.

So, Whats the best MPG your TDI octavia has done in your ordinary day to day driving?

I get an honest 45mpg out of my L&KPD130, but once the car is warmed up, I don't give a fig about consumption/economy/sensitivity, so that is probably the worst it can do! I regularly got less than 20mpg out my cav turbo, but even that would do very nearly 40mpg on long motorway journeys.

I do 85 miles a day, round trip to work and back, mixture of motorway, a roand and country lanes.

My 110tdi's best is 55mpg (measured properly brim to brim), averages between 51 -53mpg without fail.

Even fully loaded, 4 up, luggage everywhere, on a 5 day trip to the ring, it was doing 50mpg, so no real complaints from me!

my 130 bhp elegance , will give me between 53 and 58 on my daily 50 miles to and from work , which is mostly motorwar and a road , a good cruise speed for it is about 55mph constant although useing turbo can improve the mpg ,best i ever had was 61 . Do notice that as it gets near service time this drops back to 52/54 . Fresh oil and air filter improvs it a lot . Worst even on B & A roads i see is 48 mpg .

There must be something wrong with mine then. I get a regular 43mpg from my TDi 110 Elegance, which is a mix of all sorts or driving around town and longer runs. I have seen 60mpg show on the average display but that was on holiday in Cornwall, and on a run that was more downhill than up and driving it like an old woman.

Mine will do 50mpg on a long run, but to get that all the time is not possible for me......

Why is mine so much worse than everyone else's then? Mine doesn't smoke, it runs very smoothly and pulls very well, so I can't understand why I only get just over 40mpg according to the trip computer, when everyone else seems to get 50+. I do run with the air conditioning on all the time, but I'm not aware of it ever having been re-mapped, and it would appear not to be quite as good on fuel as I had expected. Or is everyone else just quoting their experiences selectively?

In fact I've just filled it up and it took 45.83 litres, and I'd done 395 miles. That works out to be 39.2mpg.......

Hi Railroad,

I have the same engine as you and get 50+ in mixed driving. At a steady 60 (no stop starts - 40 miles) I get 61 MPG with the A/C on.

How much of the time do you get into 5th and at what speed do you shift into 5th? This makes a big difference.

The other thing is to do is pop it into top gear whenever you're going downhill (and other conditions allow), even slight inclines, and take your foot off the gas (almost free miles, & the ECU won't let it stall).

My wife drives it much more than me, and she drives about 7 miles along a trunk road (about 70mph) and back each day. It might be that it just doesn't go far enough to achieve a decent mpg. She has driven to Portsmouth (about 25 miles) for work on a Saturday, but still not what you'd call a long run.......

On an average week, I get about 46 to the gallon according to the trip computer, from my 110 Elegance Estate. This is mainly around town, and short high speed motorway runs (max. 20 Miles a trip) Doesn't help that I get on the motorway before it has had chance to warm up going and returning from work.

On a run, I get around about 55mpg. The highest I've had it was 62, on a long run from Manchester to Paris via Colchester, and keeping to both the UK and French speed limits.

Worst I've had is an average of 35mpg, but that was giving it some serious stick.

50ish commuting, rising to mid 50s on a run from a TDi110, and I don't drive gently. These figures even include Italian tuneups pre-MOT!

I've had low 60s out of a 90 (all data based on fill to fill, but presuming accurate trip).

Very interesting, I've just been speaking on the phone to an old workmate of mine who used to work with me in a Vauxhall dealership. He moved on to a Seat dealer, and now works in an Audi dealer. He said he gets many customers coming in complaining that their TDi's don't do the kind of miles per gallon they're were led to believe or expect. He said based on the number of customers cars he road tests each day that a typical average would seem to be around 40-45 mpg, whilst many customers are unrealistically expecting around 60mpg. He also said that the newer ones are even worse......

He said based on the number of customers cars he road tests each day that a typical average would seem to be around 40-45 mpg, whilst many customers are unrealistically expecting around 60mpg. He also said that the newer ones are even worse......

Cars get heavier, more strangled by pollution regs, comes a point when other improvements in design can't offset these factors.

I'm sure many VAG diesels go around with unclean air filters, less than perfect MAFs etc. too, which kills the mpg.

Ultimately, I think 45mpg is about what you get if you do a lot of average urban driving and drive at a reasonable lick. With a bit of thought to your driving technique, it is possible to get your mpg up significantly though, probably more so than with a petrol car. I can easily get another 5-10mpg out of mine but it's so tedious driving like that. :o

Well I've just proved something to myself. I've just taken the car for a run of about four miles. Only four miles around town I know, but I zeroed the trip computer before I went, and I managed to achieve a staggering 74.8mpg average.

OK so it's not a true reflection of reality, but it proves that by driving in a selective manner your mpg figures can be greatly improved.

To do it I accelerated quickly to 30mph in second gear, and then changed straight into fifth. The momentum then allowed me to achieve this by continuing at light throttle without ever breaking the speed limit.......

52-62 average (mixed town, mixed with extra urban respectively) out of 110tdi. PD's always seem to come in 46-48 average. Best ever on a run was in a passate 110tdi with 170k on it, 73mpg. That was sticking behind lorries at 56mph etc, really trying.

Worst - the 100pd. Got 38 average on a run from one of them.

2.0pd seems to come in mid 40's but very rapid a-b.

Greg.

My PD130 gets me a constant 48-52mpg everytank however I have been trying to improve this by adjusting my cruising speed and also how hard I use my right foot and also trying to keep the speed as smooth as possible to allow for less acceleration.

Filled up this morning 608miles to 48l (and NO fuel light yet, indicated 80miles left) which works out to be 57.5mpg :eek: to say I'm chuffed is an understatement.

So, Whats the best MPG your TDI octavia has done in your ordinary day to day driving?

My wifes seat ibiza 100bhp 1.9 tdi (14k miles) only gets 50-55 mpg, my skoda octavia 110bhp 1.9 tdi gets 55-60 mpg, its bigger heavier done 95k miles, why? (its not her driving as i cant get it use any less)

My car has done 55-58mpg (indicated) to work and back all summer, but in the last month I'm struggling to reach 50mpg, which i presume is down to the cold weather. Anyone else noticed a drop since the weather changed?

However on long motorway trips, I set the cruise to 60mph, sit back and average about 64mpg (indicated). Setting the cruise at 75mph results in mpg dropping to 50mpg.

I found when I first got it in March that I couldn't get near 55mpg, but like a previous poster found that a change in driving style is needed to get the best from the economy.

The wife's 90bhp is a lot easier to get higher figures from around town, but doesn't seem to like motorways as much. Maybe that's because I've got a 6th gear and her's doesn't?