Fitting a HID kit to your Roomster or Fabia II

Decron

My VRS had factory Xenons. I missed these terribly since trading in and despite fitting uprated bulbs to the Roomster, it's always been in the back of my head about how they are nowhere near as good as HIDS. I have slated these kits before when I have seen them poorly fitted in headlamps that are never going to work in cars that just should have etc even to the point where it pointed out that no matter how good they are they are still not technically legal. So anyway....

Then one of my Phillips Extremes went. I weighed up the pros and cons and decided to take the plunge on a reasonable quality HID kit and see if they could be fitted easily, safely and in such a way they are an asset rather than a hinderence like so many other HID attempts you will see (Or rather see then spend the next 5 minutes battling with a blue blob in your peripheral vision :rolleyes: ) I suppose it might sort out a few questions about fitting these kits in projector lenses as well as the flashing issue with a single H7 bulb and possible the error code issue. I decided to stop being a mouth about the issues with these kits and see if I could get it sorted.

First of all the kit. This is digital kit with slimline ballasts. It has 35w 6k H7's and also came with decoders to stop the car thinking there is a bulb out (More about that later);

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27583&g2_serialNumber=2

Anyhow, I had an hour spare so I decide to see if it was possible to fit the whole thing in an hour and if it could be done in such a way as to leave the car unmodified (Meaning if I wanted to go back to OEM easily I could).

First of all, remove the black rubber cover and the bulb from the holder like thus (This is offside):

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27586&g2_serialNumber=2

Then I decided to wire it all up in a dry run to make sure it all worked. It all plugs together like thus

main.php?g2_itemId=27587&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

....with the power coming through the two spade connectors plugged into the original lamp holder. BTW red is +ve and brown is -ve. I suggest a multimeter just to make sure as apparently it's important with these:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27592&g2_serialNumber=2

Next it was a dry run. I then needed to sit down with my eyes closed for a few minutes.. :rofl:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27595&g2_serialNumber=2

Now as your not going to be using the original lamp holder to hold the new lamp you need the clip. Remove this as such (It literally unclips)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27598&g2_serialNumber=2

And fits on the HID lamp like this

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27601&g2_serialNumber=2

And then clips in like this

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27604&g2_serialNumber=2

This shows the difference between the HID and the Phillips Extreme

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27607&g2_serialNumber=2

:eek:

I got lazy from here on in and took less photos. I mounted the balast and other dongle with double sided trim tape on the side of the headlamp itself tucking the wiring up under the slam panel and securing with a cable tie. The original lamp holder feeding the kit was tucked back inside the back of the lamp and I refitted the rubber boot over the cables coming out to the ballast. It fits fine, all snug and secure with this kit. No need to cut anything or make mods to the car hardware.

You can also see the advantage of the slimline ballasts

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27610&g2_serialNumber=2

Now for the other side

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27613&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27616&g2_serialNumber=5

Just to answer a few questions before we get onto the performance;

Q. Error Codes - Will my Roomster biatch about having a lamp out? A. No, it doesn't have the feature (Mine doesn't anyway however it's not currently certain if all Roomsters are like this). I bought the kit with the loaded decode boxes just in case (And because it was a good kit in many other ways) but the truth is your Roomster will not tell you if you have a headlamp bulb out so no need to worry (We think....)

Q. Did you have to cut anything? A. No, it was plug and play. It took exactly 1 hour to fit the lot. The hardest thing is getting the clip over the connectors for the HID lamp and then inserting the lamp without damaging it or my hand

Q. How much did this kit cost? A. About £85 with next day postage from a registered company with good feedback. The kit is of an excellent quality with OEM standard connectors

Q. Does it flash? A. It flashes better than a old man in a mac, however how the cold start will effect the bulb and balast over time I don't know, call this Patient X. It was another reason for buying good quality digital ballasts.

Q. How easy is it to go back to OEM? A. I could probably do it in about 15 minutes for both sides.

Q. Aren't these kits all illegal and dont the create a lot of unwanted glare? Dont they just pi55 other road users off? A. Well lets see!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27619&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27622&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27625&g2_serialNumber=2

Actually these photos dont do it justice. This kit is excellent, the definition of the beam is actually better than it was before. There is no unwanted glare and the light is crisp and a good clean white colour (With a purple outline which you get with projectors). The throw is about the same as the Philips but the really come into their own in the pitch black where they just light up signs and other reflective stuff much further than standard. I am really impressed by these, I have done 200 miles on them in the dark this week and there has been no flashing. In short they are sound as a pound and a fantastic OEM upgrade with no drawbacks for the user or any other road users for that matter.

Before anyone thinks of mentioning it, yes I know about all the legal issues with aftermarket HID kits. I have done this in such a way to avoid as many of these issues as possible. Don't even go there if your thinking of posting the DOT link or whine that it blinds other road users (They don't, which is a big point to this post). There are no washers or levellers fitted to the Roomster and I am not going there. However, the kit has been fitted properly and performs like OEM (Without wahsing and levelling... of course), I also think it's shows that the quality of the kit and headlamp is very important if your considering fitting a AM HID kit ;)

Hope people find this of use :)

Edited by Decron
Bulb out? Maybe?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just waiting to blind another on coming motorist!!

Did you read it?

I spent a lot of time an effort on this to prove that if you do this properly it doesn't happen, which it doesn't.

Edited by Decron

The punto shot shows the beam is real nice and there is zero beam transition above the line of the beam which can blind other motorists. Any chance of a link to where you got them please?

Yeah

Xenon HID conversion KIT H1 H3 H7 FOR AUDI VW BMW BENZ on eBay, also Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Nov-08 09:59:11 GMT)

TBH The photo doesn't do it justice as the Roomy is on a incline and the beam looks higher that it really is. The definition and outline is better than it was with the normal bulbs

Tell me how have you checked these lights correctly to tell they are set up then? It looks like you have parked up against another car to see the beam pattern, or am I wrong?

Why would they need setting up? The lamp itself hasn't moved and the position of the beam is identical to before.

BTW, I come from a long line of MOT testers :thumbup: If I was worried I would be straight down the garage and on the tester. These are fine.

Well I'm sorry to say, but I am an MOT tester, if as you claim you are you would know that a beam can't be tested how you have described, your talking rubbish.

Also do you think that the level sensors and washers are required for fun? Of course not.

When you go over a bump or accelerate/brake the headlights will adjust with the sensor. Without it they will be like a search light.

I'm sorry to say, but it grips my ****, people who obviously have no clue do this and either dont care they are blinding someone, or are oblivious o the fact.

They have been deemed as MOT failures for a reason, and If you were a MOT tester you would understand why.

Rob that could be the old problem of most dealers not knowing about calibrating them for the first time. I too had this problem when I bought my car. I even asked the Dealer but they did not know what I was talking about.

From factory they are not set correctly as the car's ECU can be put into transport mode.

All cars with xenons need to be corrected, but still there is nothing mentioning this in the PDI.

It can be done with a VAG COM cable.

Once it has been done, the lights will dip at start up, and then when you accelerate or brake hard you will notice them move. Also some speed bumps are noticeable.

Just noticed your earlier post about being regularly flashed by other motorists, this is obviously the case with yours.

If you do have a cable there is a guide on here how to do it, but you do also need a beam tester.

Rob that could be the old problem of most dealers not knowing about calibrating them for the first time. I too had this problem when I bought my car. I even asked the Dealer but they did not know what I was talking about.

From factory they are not set correctly as the car's ECU can be put into transport mode.

All cars with xenons need to be corrected, but still there is nothing mentioning this in the PDI.

It can be done with a VAG COM cable.

Once it has been done, the lights will dip at start up, and then when you accelerate or brake hard you will notice them move. Also some speed bumps are noticeable.

That's really interesting. Need to get out my VAGCOM and have a play. Thanks for that.

Well I'm sorry to say, but I am an MOT tester, if as you claim you are you would know that a beam can't be tested how you have described, your talking rubbish.

Also do you think that the level sensors and washers are required for fun? Of course not.

When you go over a bump or accelerate/brake the headlights will adjust with the sensor. Without it they will be like a search light.

I'm sorry to say, but it grips my ****, people who obviously have no clue do this and either dont care they are blinding someone, or are oblivious o the fact.

They have been deemed as MOT failures for a reason, and If you were a MOT tester you would understand why.

Sorry mate, I know where your coming from. I am not an MOT tester but my father and his father were and the have had a seal of approval. I cannot stand anymore than the next man when someone fits something blatently dangerous to a car and seems oblivious to all but themselves. I have been quite vocal about the installations of such kits myself knowing the issues that can be caused. In all honesty I wouldn't have done it if I thought it would cause these issues.

The auto levellers fitted to every OEM system I have come across wont react to a lot of bumps, they are not quick enough and these as I have fitted will blind you no more that standard bulbs in a car with no auto levveling fitted as they are adjusted to the right level. For example the sensor on the Fabia is mounted on the rear axle. This can only really react to the level of the rear suspension, it could never be that useful say on a speedbump.

Like I said in the original post I am not going there. You have made your opinion clear :thumbup:

Edited by Decron

The link for the guide is below, When they are in the adjustment position it says "Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target"

You will need to use a beam tester or it will go pear shaped!

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment

Hope this helps, I know it did for me.

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/best-hid-kit-my-fabia-vrs/99494/#post1149987

;)

Seriously though, how long are the bulbs compared to the original bulbs?

That's a good post and it shows I have thought about the whole thing (Especially as the kits nearly a year ago were a lot more expensive for this kind of quality). I decided to take a chance, put my money where my mouth was and this is the result. I have posted this despite what I have posted previously saying - "Yeah ok, this works in this situation and I have shown it"

If it had been different the thread would have been NOOOO DON'T DO IT! but now I can say these are the results of this and thats that. I wont deny I have really changed my opinion on the kits when fitted properly as shown here and I am confident that there is no issue in this case. So confident in fact I am getting them on the tester tomorrow. If they fail, they come out. My Grandfather would fail them left right and centre but when these were fitted and looked at it was a different reaction, I am not making this carp up either, we have seen loads of these kits on different cars and one in ten might be any good.

It all comes down to common sense (As that old post kinda hinted). I have edited the main post to make the whole thing a little clearer. I am not saying that "Here is the silver bullet" but it's a lot more information for the individual to make a choice with which is what this site is all about

The bulbs are slightly longer by a few mm BTW

Edited by Decron

A friend of mine helped me installing an H4 HID kit on my Roomie. After adjusting the headlights at the local Skoda dealer they look just fine and do not blind incoming motorist. And the difference between the old H4 halogen bulbs and these is amazing. Next step - to find headlights with lenses...when I`ll be able to afford them I don`t know...unfortunatelybiggrin.gif

The headlight washers that cars come with these days are about as effective at cleaning the headlight glass as looking at it is.

I agree; headlamp washers are a complete PITA; I hate getting screenwash all over the bonnet, particularly in the summer. So much so I have taken the fuse out so they won't work!

As to Decron's work; absolutely top notch. Well done. really tempted for my Roomster.

One (constructive) comment on the dazzle issue. IMHO if you have the beam pattern these will not dazzle, most importantly because the headlamps have projector lenses (same as the xenons) so they will look just the same. The HID conversions that will dazzle (oncoming motorists) are the ones fitted into normal headlamp lenses that are much larger and therefore appear brighter.

The headlight washers that cars come with these days are about as effective at cleaning the headlight glass as looking at it is.

They look cool when going off though....:D