Fitting a HID kit to your Roomster or Fabia II

Decron

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jasc1988 - I take it yours are behind the normal reflector lenses? Are they the anti-glare ones? Have you any pics? Where did you buy them from, and what colour temp are they?

Decron - good job, they look good!

Jasc1988 - I take it yours are behind the normal reflector lenses? Are they the anti-glare ones? Have you any pics? Where did you buy them from, and what colour temp are they?

Decron - good job, they look good!

yeah im using them in my fabia vrs.. there 6k which is blue enough as standard xenon's are 4.5k... got them from the bay of e... :thumbup: they arent the slim ones :thumbup:

So your ones are in the fabia MK I in standard reflector lenses?

It isn't clear but are you using the anti-glare bulbs and have you placed something in front of the bulb to stop light being directly projected forward?

If not then surely that's going to blind people unlike the roomster one which should be much less glarey.

• 2 weeks later...

I share Decrons wish for better headlights (maybe I'm getting old :-) ) without blinding other motorists, and so far, allmost a year and about 18000 km's later,I'm still happy with retrofitting ebay HID's to my Fabia with "cornering DE lights"

The light output is greatly improved, and so far I havent had anyone flash at me.. I have adjusted my headlights using proper equipment.

• 1 month later...
There have been tens of threads on the whole HID vs The Law subject.

It's not where this thread should be going, it's about fitting the kit.

In your opinion would this HID kit make sense for replacing standard main beam?

Thank you,

No, HID in a main beam is pretty useless, HID's need a good few seconds to warm up and give out acceptable light, also turning them on and off in a short period of time will dramatically reduce their lifespan.

The ONLY time it is acceptable is when the car uses Bi-xenon's.

Did you read it?

I spent a lot of time an effort on this to prove that if you do this properly it doesn't happen, which it doesn't.

You're absolutely right Decron.I've installed an after-market HID kit in my Octavia II vRS and haven't been flashed once.Same great improvement as you.:):):)

No, HID in a main beam is pretty useless, HID's need a good few seconds to warm up and give out acceptable light, also turning them on and off in a short period of time will dramatically reduce their lifespan.

The ONLY time it is acceptable is when the car uses Bi-xenon's.

Kit has now done about 7k and it's been fine. Ill continue to feedback on any issues I may encounter :thumbup:

In your opinion would this HID kit make sense for replacing standard main beam?

Thank you,

As mentioned this kit will take time to warm up etc. A quick flash of the lights is fine as the initial ignition burst is quite bright however ho this will effect the kit over time I don't know. It's replaced my main beam given the nature of the lamp but how it will continue to work over the next year only time will tell

• 2 months later...

May I ask why having a lamp washer is part of the requirements? I mean, I might understand the need to have an auto-leveller for HIDs as these might be brighter than normal halogens... but washer?

May I ask why having a lamp washer is part of the requirements? I mean, I might understand the need to have an auto-leveller for HIDs as these might be brighter than normal halogens... but washer?

I always though that HIDS suffered even more if the glass was dirty making them more ineffective than halogens with the same dirt but other than that I have no idea

• 8 months later...

Yeah

Xenon HID conversion KIT H1 H3 H7 FOR AUDI VW BMW BENZ on eBay, also Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Nov-08 09:59:11 GMT)

TBH The photo doesn't do it justice as the Roomy is on a incline and the beam looks higher that it really is. The definition and outline is better than it was with the normal bulbs

which bulb length did you get the 40 or 45mm?

peter

which bulb length did you get the 40 or 45mm?

peter

TBH I have no idea, probably 45mm however this is an identical kit from the same seller as I used

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-conversion-H7-KIT-FOR-VW-PASSAT-04-09-NEW_W0QQitemZ230373448204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a353da0c

• 2 weeks later...

had a chat with a tame MOT tester about aftermarket HID's and we had a look in his book of words

nothing specific about HID's, just about beam patterns in general, so looks ok,

he said once done take my car in and he will check and if necessary adjust my light for me (i do him a few favours as well, good old barter system)

peter

I want to fit HID's to my Fabia -08. I thought it was a H7 lamp and that both the high beam and low beam share the same bulb?

I have the projector lense marked "BI-Halogen".

Yes it is H7, only one bulb is in it.

H7 Xenon - 6000K

dscn5827e.jpg

How do Philips Extremes or Osrams Nightbreakers hold up againt OEM bulbs as well as retrofitted HIDs?

I will try to purchase some better lights to my Fabia -08 on friday, going illegal HID or legal Philips/Osram is the question.

I live in Sweden and I drive 600km in pitch black each week and the OEM bulbs are only ok if the road is dry or if it's covered in snow.

When it's wet they're awful.

How do Philips Extremes or Osrams Nightbreakers hold up againt OEM bulbs as well as retrofitted HIDs?

I will try to purchase some better lights to my Fabia -08 on friday, going illegal HID or legal Philips/Osram is the question.

I live in Sweden and I drive 600km in pitch black each week and the OEM bulbs are only ok if the road is dry or if it's covered in snow.

When it's wet they're awful.

Although an improvement over the standard bulbs, IMHO they don't justify the cost and you will get sick of replacing them as they just dont last as long. Just get the right kit in a sensible colour and you should be fine.

How did you fit the lamp holder to the bulb?

I just bought a similar kit, as far as I know the wiring and the balast are the same. The problem on my kit is that i can't fit the holder. It is supposed to go on the wire-end of the lamp of course but I don't understand how I shall fit it. From the lamp there are wires going through a rubber seal ending up in a couple of connectors. In order to fit the holder I need to cut the wires.

Is that what you did or does the lamp unclip from the wires at the socket on your kit?