Upgrading OEM Xenon Headlights?

Irf

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the standard factory fit xenon headlight bulbs can be upgraded to something a little brighter? Any ideas if the Octavia Mk1 bulbs can fit in there and if they are any brighter at all?

The levelling is fine, it's just that in some conditions especially heavy rain, the headlights do not shine very bright on the road at all.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the standard factory fit xenon headlight bulbs can be upgraded to something a little brighter? Any ideas if the Octavia Mk1 bulbs can fit in there and if they are any brighter at all?

The levelling is fine, it's just that in some conditions especially heavy rain, the headlights do not shine very bright on the road at all.

Slow down then! ;)

They are probably doing a good enough job. Though HIDs may be affected by rain more than halogens as they tend to produce a less wide spectrum.

ISTR you can get higher wattage HID bulbs. Though I'm not sure. You could also try a lower (more yellow) colour temperature. Though good luck finding a 3200-2500K colour temp. HID bulb.

J.

I thought factory fit bulbs were 4300K? These are surely as "bright" (interms of lumen output) you can really get.

Maybe 5000K would provide a whiter light and it would be less yellow?

You should be able to just swap the bulbs over I imagine?

Get in touch with HIDS4U and ask if their bulbs will be compatible with OEM ballast and igniter equipment etc.

Phil

Don't forget that an arc lamp has a lifetime.

That is between 2000 and 3000 hours.

As this lifetime wears on the bulb output is reduced.

In cinema projectors you often turn the bulb so that the top face is now the lower face as this makes them last longer due to a deposit layer forming on the glass and reducing the light output. If you turn it the part of the bulb that is upwards (and so reflected) is no longer dulled so you have clear glass and more light.

If that isn't an option a new HID bulb will be about 3000-4000 Lumen (4300k) and after 2-3k hours about 1500 Lumen.

If your bulbs are a few years old it might be worth buying some new bulbs and swapping them over to see if it makes a difference. Get a quality item such as those by Osram or Phillips and not a cheapy bulb.

If you have standard xenon lights you could just upgrade to an aftermarket kit maybe a 6K kit as you have the projector headlight units anyway wont make a difference to them legality etc. The fabia xenons are a bit dim compared to BMW etc

Aftermarket ones will be illegal soon, so dont follow a police car at night!

All to do with the light pattern etc.

HTH, Dave

Im not sure they could tell if you already had them on the car as its the projector that gives them the beam pattern etc isnt it? and they would be able to be fitted in the same places as the standard units so will look oem.

Thabnks for the replies guys. After seeing what work the car needs doing to get it sorted, I've decided to leave the xenons and to just get them adjusted. Maybe next tiem I'll get some different bulbs, provided i ahven't changed the car by then.

I got some 8000k aftermarket xenons from awesome gti, they are fecking unbelievable, my mate has the factory xenons on his 06 vrs, and mine take the **** out of them. It was quite funny seeing his face when he saw them, they actually made his look dirty and yellow. Cost me £140 and worth every penny.

Yeah i can see the police setting up check points all over the country to catch the very minority of road users that use aftermarket xenons, lol i'll be laughing about that one for a while.

To be honest my OEM Xenons are perfectly bright enough. It really bugs me when anybody driving their car at night comes up behind you with overally bright lights on (dip).

In my opinion Whats the point ? we all might aswell drive round wit full beam on everywhere !

@Littlebull - annoyingly many people do that too :(

I found though that the dealers constantly adjusted the Xenons too low on a service, and I had to return numerous times to adjust back up to the correct level.

I've now got non-Xenons on the estate and put better bulbs in, that isnt too bad either but still miss the Xenons ;)

• 2 months later...

i Have factory fit Xenon Headlights and find i would like a bit more extra light from them, where can i get new bulbs for them? Looked everywhere!

another reason is that before owning the car one of the bulbs must have gone and they have put one in with a less K output so, one bulb is white and one is yellow! looks ODD !

Even looked at having the headlights change to the original stardard headlights and fitting a HID kit to them.