Terrible cold starting

2.0TDI '07 MY08 62,000 miles.

It can be a real pig to start when stone cold, takes ages to fire up and then coughs and stutters for a while. Bags of smoke too. It sometimes decides to idle at about 1100 rpm too :confused:

The fuel filter was changed on the last service. I thought it might have been contamintated fuel but it gets filled up 2 or 3 times a week so I know it's not that. It's currently on a tank of V-power Diesel as well.

There is nothing showing on any VCDS scan relating to any engine issues.

Any suggestions as to the cause??

Cheers,

Dan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did think of the glow plugs but am I being optimistic in thinking a DTC would be logged. I presume the engine knows the glow plug conditions.

I did have a search around and the fuel temp and coolant temp senders do appear on a Fabia thread IIRC.

I'll have a look at the fuel filter housing/fuel lines tomorrow to make sure it's all sealed up properly.

2.0TDI '07 MY08 62,000 miles.

It can be a real pig to start when stone cold, takes ages to fire up and then coughs and stutters for a while. Bags of smoke too. It sometimes decides to idle at about 1100 rpm too :confused:

The fuel filter was changed on the last service. I thought it might have been contamintated fuel but it gets filled up 2 or 3 times a week so I know it's not that. It's currently on a tank of V-power Diesel as well.

There is nothing showing on any VCDS scan relating to any engine issues.

Any suggestions as to the cause??

Cheers,

Dan

Yes I had the same problem, it was totally cured by the dealer reflashing the software on the ECU, 20 minute job.

Would I be able to pin down an erronious temp sensor with VCDS?

I'll check to see if it does it with the tank 1/4 vs full.

I would have a scan through the sensor values one morning with just the ignition on, that way all the temp sensors should read a similar value

Seemed to start better with 3 cycles of the glow plugs this morning as it goes, but it wasn't that cold outside.

I'll have a look at the sensor values when I get time to do it one morning.

Thanks for the suggestions people, it's given me plenty to look at.

Oh and :rofl: @ Neo's avatar :D

It gets better, the bloody thing won't start at all now!

I've called the RAC out obviously :mad:

I wonder if the battery is on the way out?

If so will Skoda cover it under warranty? The car is an '07 with 63k on the clock :confused:

First 2 years of warranty are unlimited mileage, so you should be covered. Only the 3rd year warranty provided by SUK is 60k miles max.

Sounds like a glo plug problem, the ecu may not log any faults though, especially if it is getting readings that are within normal tolerances. Only when the reading become invalid will a fault be logged.

• 3 weeks later...

Still havent found out what the problem is, it seems to be worse when the fuel tank is <1/3 full. Its as if fuel is seeping away from the engine back to the tank. Still no faults logged either.

• 1 month later...

Was this problem resolved? I had a similar problem this morning. Called Skoda Assist and after a few attemps the engine fired into life. I noticed yesterday that the idle was a little lumpy at first and it did not start as it usually does - on the button.

Skoda Assist man recons it's the lift pump and has advised booking into Main Dealers. I'm hoping that the Skoda Used Warranty will cover any repairs it may need?

Mine is a 54plate 2.0 TDi too.

Still havent found out what the problem is, it seems to be worse when the fuel tank is <1/3 full. Its as if fuel is seeping away from the engine back to the tank. Still no faults logged either.

Have you put a small smear of grease around the connections to the fuel filter on from the fuel lines? If th poor starting is only after the car has been left then air can sometimes get in there, so this is usually an easy way to find out if it's the case.

Have you put a small smear of grease around the connections to the fuel filter on from the fuel lines? If th poor starting is only after the car has been left then air can sometimes get in there, so this is usually an easy way to find out if it's the case.

Thanks, i'll give it a try. I never thought of doing that. Any specific grease to use or any old stuff lying around?

Also, is it worth replacing the spring clips on the fuel hoses with jubilee clips? surely they will offer a tighter connection.

Sorry but............:bump:

I don't like bumping a thread but can someone give me the nod about replacing the fuel hose clips with the jubilee type to ensure they are air tight

Cheers :thumbup: