To Rain X or not to Rain X?

Used Rain-X once a Passat windscreen. Tried everything to get rid of it because of smearing and wiper juddering. At night it was a nightmare (sorry!) - in desperation I had the screen changed. Don't even think about this stuff!

Identical to this but with a Mk1 Octy, wouldn't use anything but meths to clean the outside of the screen & don't forget the wiper blades like to be cleaned too!

I have used the Mer equivalent Rain Away. Works well on first application but then goes naff (smearing) on windscreen. Side windows and rear screen last forever. Sounds like its going to take ages to get off the front screen. Rain Away is very hard to polish off even on a hot day and first swipe of wipers it’s very smeary. I have noticed a product in Lidl’s for £5.99 (W5 brand) wondered if to try this.

I have noticed a product in Lidl’s for £5.99 (W5 brand) wondered if to try this.

W5 Nano Tech

Brilliant stuff. I have tried it all including PIAA wipers (Which are the best) and this is the only thing that comes close to them. Lasts ages and you get about 4 applications in the bottle. I would get 2 as they don't sell it that often.

I’ll take up your recommendation and try some. Journey from London today was abysmal, smears everywhere with wipers on. Do you think I should strip off the Rain Away with mentholated spirits or Isopropanol before applying the W5?

IPA if you have it but I wouldn't use it neat.

The W5 kit comes with a special cleaning spong or block which will help a lot.

Edit - "Spong" What a great word! However I meant sponge

Edited by Decron
SPONG!

I use the Halfords one. I find it great, and have used these Rain X things for years, especially at this time of year.

Driving past a truck with a cloud of spray surrounding it is no long driving blind, and scraping ice of the screen is much easier, normally just the rubber blade will scrape the screen so reduced chance of scratching glass.

Also helps keeps lights cleaner for longer.

Also helps keeps lights cleaner for longer.

The 'rain repellents' are OK to use on glass but are not recommended for use on plastic (headlamps or helmet visors); they can cause it to harden and become brittle, with possible dire consequences.

Having fitted the new wiper blades, I can tell you the Turtle Wax repellent is great. The slight hazing I had is a thing of the past and not only is the occasional judder gone, but the new blades are dead quiet.

This is both on the Passat and the Octi. Oh, replacement blades were 12E a pair over here and I fitted them in minutes.

edit: I think my Turtle Wax bottle says it's ok to use on the helmet visor. Will take a look and confirm.

As was said earlier, IMO Rain-x is OK on the front screen if you're committed to renewing it every few weeks. When the wipers judder, I found that a further coat sorted it. Cleaning it off is a nightmare so I haven't used it on the present motor.

Ok, listening to all the advice I've had on here, I decided to experiment (but only to a limited extent), so I've used the Rain X glass cleaner on the outside of the side windows only & the anti fog wipes on the inside of the rear screen & back side windows...the cleaner was easy enough to apply & dry...the anti fog wipes were poor in my opinion, they just left a mess of streaks & marks, which I ended up using paper towel to remove (not what the instructions advise). It will be interesting to see what works, what doesn't & what is a problem. I haven't gone anywhere near the windows that have wipers, so we'll see...I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

The smart money is using rain x only where the arc of the wipers do not sweep. This way you let the wipers do the job they are meant to do and leave the rain x or similar product to take care of the rest. Sorted!!

The smart money is using rain x only where the arc of the wipers do not sweep. This way you let the wipers do the job they are meant to do and leave the rain x or similar product to take care of the rest. Sorted!!

:confused: ..... but surely the whole purpose of using RainX or similar is to make the water (rain) bead up and flow off the windscreen with the airflow, thus improving visibility over the part you look through which is the arc the wipers sweep.

I applied it on SWMBO's Jazz windscreen and other glasses and had no whatsoever trouble, indeed.

I recognize that it's a bit stressing to remove all the haze created by the product, but once removed it worked fine.

• 1 month later...

I've been a user of rainX for about 3 years and have never had any problems..... My method is to apply liberally on the windscreen with kitchen roll after washing the car.... Then get a couple of pieces of clean kitchen roll to buff it up over the course of about 5 minutes. I only ever use the original rainX as the newer glass cleaner and wipes versions are crap. I've never had any kind of greasyness on the windscreen either. I did try using a cloth to apply/buff off once or twice but found that it didn't polish up as well as with the kitchen roll so reverted back.

My wipers are the Renault megane Bosch retro fit aeros and they are over 2 years old and only just starting to need replacing. Never had any problems with judder at all.

Maybe it's all down to how you apply the stuff???? Who knows.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by WaveyDavey

The trick is to ensure the screen is clean before you apply any of these products.

I use an experimental one and it does work, with no judder or smearing :)